Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 04:06 PM

348 posts, read 416,140 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I don't suppose y'all remember my post ages ago about my tea shop dream? Well, reality is that will have to wait until I retire. In the meantime, I'm getting ready to move in Oct/Nov to KCMO to be with my mom (and sister). I'll still need to find a job, but am fairly confident that I'll be able to find either a supervisor position somewhere, or a tech support type position. I might have to drive out to Overland Park KS for work, and I'm okay with that idea.

The good news is that my mom wants to help me buy a home. That means she's basically buying it for me since my job history won't look that great after a move. I've rented ever since I've been on my own (25+ years) so this will be "my" first home.
The bad news is that, like everywhere I ever decide I want to settle down, I always look at buying just as the market goes crazy. I'm in love with the Brookside / Waldo area, but the affordable starter homes seem to be quite literally sold before my mom can even pull into the driveway for the open house.* She's working with a realtor her financial advisor recommended, but her listings aren't any better than what I'm sending Mom from Zillow.

My mom lives near the Plaza / Art Institute area and would like for me to be relatively close to her. She, like me, is quite particular about a certain "feeling" for an area, so there are parts of the greater KC area that she won't consider. East of Holmes (heck, even east of Wornall in some areas) is sketchy for her. While I may disagree about some of the areas she's deemed sketchy, I can't deny that:
1) It's her investment.
2) I want her to be able to visit me and feel comfortable.
If she is not comfortable driving there, then there's really no point in saying how nice the house or pocket neighbourhood is.

Anyways, a couple questions...
How's the Western Hills area? Like the lower area between 85th and Bannister, closer to Ward Parkway?
How's the market? Am I going to be basically screwed if I wait until the Fall to buy a house, i.e. prices are just going up and up and inventory goes down and down?

Budget? Oh yeah. We really can't go over $150k for a single family home. Yeah, yeah. At one point, that was pretty generous. I swear a couple years ago I found a ton of houses for sale in Waldo for under $100k. Now I'm lucky if I can spot a shoebox for sale for that price!

Sorry for the rambling.

*I'm serious. She had a showing scheduled for today and she was pulling in to the driveway and they were like "lol it's already sold". I'm sure they actually laughed out loud, too. >_>

-T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 04:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Stuff is selling really quickly.

We have one we haven't even put on the market yet (just about ready to), and we already have several interested parties. Now, whether they end up being real deal interested remains to be seen...

Old 04-30-2016, 04:15 PM

Old 04-30-2016, 04:32 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,870 times
Yeah, the market is crazy right now - especially for high demand areas like Brookside/Waldo. Anything decent is getting multiple offers the first day on the market and going well over the list price.

Spring is always the time of year with the hottest market as inventory is generally low (seller's usually don't want to list in the winter and then often start getting their house ready in spring and don't get it on the market until summer). Usually, inventory starts catching up with demand in mid-summer. However, this year is probably the craziest I have seen it since before the recession and inventory is so low, I think it will take a while to catch up. I don't see any signs of it slowing at this point.

I don't expect prices to go down significantly in the fall, but the demand and competition should go down. It is tough to find a good home under $150,000 these days - and that is a definite change from a couple years ago when there were many better options at that point. You cant still find some, but they will likely be small (2 bedrooms) and need some work/updating.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the insight, WiseOwl. 2 bedroom is fine for me. Of course I'm hoping for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house, but I'm definitely open to a 2 bedroom place that at least is capable of having a second toilet easily added.
I'll keep on keeping my eyes open and let Mom know not to freak out and overbid on some "uhhh I guess it'll do?" house just yet.
Fingers crossed for mid-summer.
Seriously, where are Chip and Joanna (Fixer Upper) when you need them? Ohhh that's right. They're here in Texas.
Sigh.

-T.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 AM

As much as I like Brookside / Waldo, I have to admit the rising prices are giving me pause.
If I have to expand my search, how far South would you say would be good? Should I consider areas South of Bannister Road and 435? For example, my mom spotted a nice-looking residential treed area near Hickman Mills. The map shows the areas to either side of it as being "Jeffreys" and "St. Catherine's Gardens". It seems a little far South, but I guess far is relative. I forget sometimes how quick it is to drive from my sister's place in the Northland to my mom's condo.
Any neighbourhoody places? Cute houses? Greenery? Safety? Quiet?
No school-aged children now or in my future, so school districts aren't a concern except for resale value.

-T.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Yeah, the market is crazy right now - especially for high demand areas like Brookside/Waldo. Anything decent is getting multiple offers the first day on the market and going well over the list price.

Spring is always the time of year with the hottest market as inventory is generally low (seller's usually don't want to list in the winter and then often start getting their house ready in spring and don't get it on the market until summer). Usually, inventory starts catching up with demand in mid-summer. However, this year is probably the craziest I have seen it since before the recession and inventory is so low, I think it will take a while to catch up. I don't see any signs of it slowing at this point.

I don't expect prices to go down significantly in the fall, but the demand and competition should go down. It is tough to find a good home under $150,000 these days - and that is a definite change from a couple years ago when there were many better options at that point. You cant still find some, but they will likely be small (2 bedrooms) and need some work/updating.
This mirrors what our Realtor thought when we bought in December.

The one we are selling will be under $150k, mainly because it is a small cottage, 2BR, 1 bath. Updated, though. It will still be a steal where it's at.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:59 PM

I just had a lovely visit with my family in KCMO and things are looking positive for a house near the Blue River and Red Bridge. It's farther out than I wanted, but the Waldo properties were going so fast and were smaller / in worse shape. Hope the inspection goes well!

-T.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:54 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
I just had a lovely visit with my family in KCMO and things are looking positive for a house near the Blue River and Red Bridge. It's farther out than I wanted, but the Waldo properties were going so fast and were smaller / in worse shape. Hope the inspection goes well!

-T.
Hope it works out for you! I don't know if you're a church-goer, but the former Assistant Rector of our Episcopal church here in Springfield, MO just became the Rector of Saint Peter & All Saints Church, in that very neighborhood. He's a wonderfully insightful, peaceful man. You should go visit some Sunday, if you're of a mind to :-)

Old 05-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info. My hubby is Catholic, I was baptised in a creek, and we were married by a Pentecostal minister.
All over the place here.
I think the house we are looking at is near "St. Catherine's Gardens". Hope it doesn't flood. I think the Blue River floods closer to Bannister Mall, though.

-T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City