Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,156 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So I recently accepted an offer from Cerner and found an apartment in the downtown area (very close to 10th and main). I'll be traveling 80-100% (Monday-Thur/Fri) for the job but I'll be training for the first 6-8 weeks at Cerner's North Kansas City Campus.

So my question is: Right now, I don't have a car and I was wondering if it's feasible to take public transportation from downtown to the North Kansas City campus. I looked it up and it looks like route 133, which is right outside my apartment, takes me basically there (.7 mile away, not a big deal for me). But I'm wondering, is it reliable? Does it come as scheduled or erratic? Also, I've also thought about carpooling, does any Cerner people have any experience with that?

I guess my main issue is that I don't want to pay $500 for a car (insurance + payment + garage space) if I'm only going to be using it 1-2 times/week once I start traveling. I was planning on using Uber/Streetcar/cab/biking whenever I go to any museums/bars/restaurants/activities anyways, as I don't like driving anyways. Also, my roommate has a car, so I figured I can always go grocery shopping and stuff with him if I needed to. Ultimately, I don't know if it's worth it just to get a car to travel to work.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 04:06 PM

709 posts, read 1,493,044 times
I have never taken that bus route and know nothing about it, but I have found the busses in KC to be fairly reliable. Not exactly on time, but not terrible.

There is a Cerner subreddit you may want to check out in regards to carpooling.

The KCATA recently launched a on-demand micro-transit service called Bridj. It services mainly Downtown and Midtown, but it says they are flexible, based on demand, so they may be able to go up to Cerner. It could be worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City