Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 3,434 times

Advertisements

I have been pounding the pavement, hard, for the past 2.5 years. I started looking earnestly after I finished my MBA. All I am getting are "thanks, but no thanks" emails from employers. I have only had a few phone interviews. I rarely get a face-to-face interview.

I have several years of experience in call centers/customer service in addition to several years of life/health and property/casualty insurance. I also have some management/team lead experience.

Noone is interested in hiring me, and I can't live a decent lifestyle on my current salary. I'm really becoming discouraged. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 02:07 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayre Huxtable View Post
I have been pounding the pavement, hard, for the past 2.5 years. I started looking earnestly after I finished my MBA. All I am getting are "thanks, but no thanks" emails from employers. I have only had a few phone interviews. I rarely get a face-to-face interview.

I have several years of experience in call centers/customer service in addition to several years of life/health and property/casualty insurance. I also have some management/team lead experience.

Noone is interested in hiring me, and I can't live a decent lifestyle on my current salary. I'm really becoming discouraged. Any advice would be appreciated.
Research which careers are in demand, train for one, then get one.

If your current career field is that dry any job you did land probably wouldn't last long anyway.

Adjust and adapt to the market or perish.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:07 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,510 times
Exclamation Can't Get a Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayre Huxtable View Post

What 'Tyryztoll' says -harsh, true and to the point- is accurate.

1. Call center jobs/CSR jobs are a dime a dozen but have no career ladder to them unless you pick such a job where the company is known for hiring their best in this regard and moving them up.

In that case, doing some kind of internal customer service job that would lead to product management would be a pathway. Consumer goods companies are the ones to look at- Proctor and Gamble, for example. Here is a list for you to work: Top 100 Consumer Goods Companies | News | Consumer Goods Technology ....

2. Health insurance sales has taken a big hit because of the ACA. There are new rules as to even when you can sell and not sell however, there are other insurance product niches that are still open for sales people. If you have a successful sales track record, consider going back to insurance sales. Companies that promote their sales people and give them territories to manage are the ones you want to contact.

3. You also mentioned "management/team lead experience" but as usual as goes on here, you have not described your measurable successes in this regard. Managers are a dime a dozen but those with credible metrics on their resume are the ones who get noticed by companies and search firms.

Did you/your team measurably improve profitability? Production? Reduce waste that resulted in measurable improvement? Help your company gain an increase in measurable market share? Without metrics, you have a hollow conversation about management/team leadership.

Sounds like you have been bouncing around. This causes employers concern since without a dedicated track record of employment, it leaves them wondering if you will stray after a year or two.

It may be you are not representing yourself well on the telephone interviews.

Does your resume show measurable achievements?

I know this is not helpful but graduating without having a Plan in advance is so typical.... No forethought in advance as to what your target career goal is.

You have to pick something and then stay at it long enough to show achievements and that you are serious about creating a career for yourself in that niche.

Either make lemonade with what you have or, as 'Tyryztoll' said, identify a market that is working and train to enter it.

You are not getting invited to come in for F2F interviews because you are not a competitive applicant. It used to be that 'being qualified' was good enough but no longer. Now, it is about being the 'best' applicant in a stack of two hundred or more resumes.

When people talk about 'what they did' but do not say anything about achievements, it is usually because they have nothing to brag about in that regard. From your description, you have nothing about you that says "Winner!".

Whatever it is you do next, you need to have target (production/sales/whatever) goals in mind and then achieve them. When employers see a resume that reflects that person garners wins with everything s/he does, the employer has reason to believe you can do the same for them. They can see that you would duplicate those successes for them. Without such ammunition, you have no compelling argument as to why you are a best pick.

I'm in the recruiting business. You do not say why you are a person an employment agency/search firm would represent you to companies.

Either fix the conversation you have about yourself, fix your resume or go get some successes in something so employers will see you bring value to the table.

GO WHERE THE JOBS ARE.

Paul............

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: