Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 03:00 PM

290 posts, read 346,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoChicagotoKC View Post
In an earlier post (Misperceptions Kansas Citians Have About KC), I wrote that one of my impressions of KC, after living in several cities, is that there is a widespread perception, or at least desire, that KC is or should be "small town." Obviously, not everyone feels that way. But for a city with very little traffic or true density, there is an enormous amount of outcry every time a developer proposes anything that might add a little bit of density or traffic to an area. Case in point, the below article about new developments in Westport. Part of the article discusses the need to protect historic aspects of Westport. I don't disagree that efforts should be made in that regard (to the extent we're protecting truly historically relevant things). But evidently, a good portion of the outcry has been about . . . you guessed it . . . density, traffic and size. It's always density and traffic. We live in a city people. It sometimes amazes me that developers are willing to mess with trying things in KC. Virtually everything is met with resistance. KC has some great attributes. But I must admit I get frustrated with how difficult it seems to be in this town to get developments done -- especially urban developments. Some quotes:

“Some people say we need density in order for the midtown area to be strong, but there are so many concerns about traffic and parking."

"Another development company, Pulse Development, also floated plans for two 14-story apartment towers immediately north of Manor Square on Pennsylvania. Density, parking, traffic and architectural criticisms erupted immediately, and developer Drew Hood subsequently said the plan was “preliminary” and that it’s been pulled back for revision."

"About three dozen people came to the presentation by officials from Opus Development. In a question and answer session, most of the comments were from residential neighbors who thought the project was “too big. Residents asked if the project would be viable if it were reduced to four stories instead of six. The Opus team said no."

The article: Neighbors and preservationists rally to fight Westport development proposals | The Kansas City Star

Edit: I'm not sure if these developments will be subject to KC's referendum/petition procedures. But if they are, it wouldn't surprise me to see efforts underway to gather signatures. You only need like 2,300 signatures.
I don't oppose new development in Westport, but I do feel current property owners are entitled to have a voice in the future of their neighborhood. Moreover, the nimbyism of KC is no different than other cities, in my opinion.

Quote:
Here we go again.

Sorry, Kansas City knows better and sees your endeavor to turn a positive into a negative coming from miles away.
I'm not sure who you guys speak for. The following two projects are being built currently in downtown Overland Park with more on the way.

Avenue 81

Interurban Lofts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 03:01 PM

78 posts, read 123,714 times
Kansas City needs more density. The city needs these projects to help these areas grow to attract outsiders and retain young KC natives, otherwise they will never stay here. Trust me on this. If Kansas City hadn't made the progress it had already made, such as PNL, Light Rail, and all the other new residential buildings, then most of my college graduate friends would have left a long time ago. I am still on the bubble about staying or leaving KC. The city needs to keep evolving to attract new comers, otherwise places like OKC and Omaha will sneak up on us, then we would really be embarrassed haha. But seriously, lets move forward in all the ways we can. Build that Density !!

Old 04-15-2017, 04:09 PM

17 posts, read 21,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Temperance in supposedly one of the four cardinal virtues, but it is a quality in many Kansas Citians that I find very irksome. Never before have I lived in a place where the average person seems so gosh darn sensible and restrained. Come on people! Live a little! That's my opinion, anyway.
We must have very different experiences in KC

Old 04-15-2017, 04:23 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
I don't oppose new development in Westport, but I do feel current property owners are entitled to have a voice in the future of their neighborhood. Moreover, the nimbyism of KC is no different than other cities, in my opinion.

I'm not sure who you guys speak for. The following two projects are being built currently in downtown Overland Park with more on the way.

Avenue 81

Interurban Lofts
I look at photos like that and just shake my head.

"We" speak for your parents today and you in 25 years....at which point you'll look at those very same photos and ask yourself who in their right mind would want to live there. Because you'll see clearly the life-quality nightmare that they are. And that's when they're brand new.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:37 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

"We" speak for your parents today and you in 25 years....at which point you'll look at those very same photos and ask yourself who in their right mind would want to live there. Because you'll see clearly the life-quality nightmare that they are. And that's when they're brand new.
And it will be no better or worse than maintaining massive amounts of old suburban infrastructure that has to be kept up as well. All of that comes at a cost, otherwise it becomes blight like everything else.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Temperance in supposedly one of the four cardinal virtues, but it is a quality in many Kansas Citians that I find very irksome. Never before have I lived in a place where the average person seems so gosh darn sensible and restrained. Come on people! Live a little! That's my opinion, anyway.
You've never lived anywhere not-a-city, then, I take it.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I also appreciate Kansas City's level of density.

Prior to living in KC, I lived in a variety of quite dense urban neighborhoods in Chicago. When I first visited KC, a few months before moving here, I found the yards, single-family dwellings, and abundant greenspace in the core so noteworthy and striking, by comparison.

I look at a lot of the infill that's occurred in a number if neighborhoods in the past decade since I moved here (which, yes, I know several of you are all for), and think, "Huh. Could be Any City, USA." It just isn't that interesting, to me.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:46 PM

290 posts, read 346,740 times
Quote:

I'm almost 30, so I'm not exactly a youngster per se. Look at it this way, these are approved by the city council of Overland Park. Likely people of your same age with differing opinions on the future of their city. I know some throw the suburbs under the bus, but they're not going anyway. It's good to have and is needed to have all housing types in a city to provide a diversity of options for all and particular economic levels. A few multi-story housing complexes in downtown KCMO or downtown OP aren't going to mean older suburban communities of Brookside, Waldo on the Missouri side and Mission, Fairway, etc. on the Kansas side are going to disappear. In the end, this board has some weird partisan viewpoints, but both types of development are worthwhile to me.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:19 PM

112 posts, read 99,762 times
Quote:

You're wrong. Many empty nesters choose to move to more urban environments when they downsize into condos. I personally know several. I'm 43 now and that's what I plan to do some day. I'd much prefer to be back living in downtown Chicago. But we moved here to be closer to family while our children are young. There were a ton of people In downtown Chicago in their 60s and older who had left the burbs for a richer cultural life in the city. Some were parents of our friends. You're entitled to hate everything urban. But you also should recognize that not everyone shares your view. There have been countless articles about how current generations prefer denser, walkable urban environments. Some people will change as they age. But some won't. Denser development is much more sustainable and environmentally friendly too. You and Dan Coffey can pretend everyone is over 70 and hates urban living. But that doesn't make you right. "Quality" is subjective. To me, high quality is being able to walk from my front door to dozens of restaurants and shops. To get on a train with my kids and head to the museum. To interact with other humans on the sidewalks and on public transit. To ride my bike to work. Living in the burbs as I do now is existing. It's not really living to the fullest. I look forward to being back in the city someday, whether in KC or elsewhere. And btw, I grew up a middle class white kid in the burbs, a son of Republican parents. So you can dispense with your preconceived notion that someone with my point of view is an evil minority liberal (as I assume you might have thought from your other posts).

Old 04-15-2017, 10:26 PM

112 posts, read 99,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdekc View Post
Kansas City needs more density. The city needs these projects to help these areas grow to attract outsiders and retain young KC natives, otherwise they will never stay here. Trust me on this. If Kansas City hadn't made the progress it had already made, such as PNL, Light Rail, and all the other new residential buildings, then most of my college graduate friends would have left a long time ago. I am still on the bubble about staying or leaving KC. The city needs to keep evolving to attract new comers, otherwise places like OKC and Omaha will sneak up on us, then we would really be embarrassed haha. But seriously, lets move forward in all the ways we can. Build that Density !!
Very true! Most of my high school friends (I moved here in high school, then graduated and moved away for 20 years) left kc for larger cities. A few have come back. But most didn't. KC has to be able to attract young people in order to flourish. I'm no longer a 20 or 30 something. But I see people are the future of KC. People like crownvic and Dan Coffey are not. Young people more than ever want density and walkability. They want city living. There is a reason rural economies are failing. Young people are moving to cities.

Last edited by DallastoChicagotoKC; 04-15-2017 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City