Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 04:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,277,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentodd1 View Post
The reinvestment in downtown I feel like is a good starting point. Building the trolley was huge. When Denver put their baseball stadium downtown it completely changed its' downtown. Tons of restaurants and bars opened. Then tons of businesses moved in. KCMO should invest in their downtown.
There have been SIGNIFICANT investments in downtown in the past decade.

Look up pics of downtown KCMO from, say, even 12 years ago. I moved here ten years ago and worked at 11th and Grand...the Sprint Center opened a couple of months after I moved in, Power and Light district within the first 9 months I lived here, The theatre where the Alamo Draft House now is went from empty with holes in the roof to what it is now, the Midland Theatre did huge historic renovations and reopened in 2008, the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts was built and opened in 2011, the streetcar line from Crown Center to River Market was put in...the downtown landscape has greatly changed in the past ten years, as anybody who has lived here longer will attest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 04:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,131,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Right. It doesn't matter at all if your cheaper, larger apartment is in a war zone, or across the street from a superfund site.

"Just tell me the square footage and the rent! That's all I need to know!"
I don't think anyone would consider the area around Corporate Woods a war zone.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 PM

22 posts, read 19,240 times
Somedays there seems to be no traffic which has been surprising. After talking to a friend the construction on 435 has made the traffic on Metcalf much worse. Maybe when the construction is over the commute will be shortened by 10 minutes. We want to enjoy life as much as possible and want things to be interesting, so now we are leaning towards staying. I am trying to listen to interesting podcasts on the drive so the commute is not wasted time.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,277,853 times
Quote:
Right. It doesn't matter at all if your cheaper, larger apartment is in a war zone, or across the street from a superfund site.

"Just tell me the square footage and the rent! That's all I need to know!"
Both of these issues being so rampant on OP and all.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:29 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,443,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think anyone would consider the area around Corporate Woods a war zone.
Hahaha... I don't think anyone thought I was referring to Johnson County. I was refuting the previous commenter's absolutism by taking it to the nth degree.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Both of these issues being so rampant on OP and all.
OK, so maybe my hyperbolic, tongue-in-cheek tone missed the mark.

The previous commenter was saying that "larger apartment, lower rent" is a slam-dunk. No context is necessary. Not even JoCo boosters should be agreeing with this statement.

My point is that neighborhood matters. Setting matters. That's all.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:22 AM

654 posts, read 619,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentodd1 View Post
Maybe when the construction is over .
Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

But, seriously, this area of 435 has been under nearly continuous construction since at least 2010 and intermittently even before then. Perhaps at some point Kansas will run out of money for road construction, but seemingly that is the ONLY thing the state of Kansas will spend money on these days!

Old 05-09-2017, 10:06 AM

709 posts, read 1,481,310 times
So let me get this straight: the apartment in Overland Park is cheaper and larger than the one on the Plaza? Impossible! There are a couple posters on here that swear that all housing values in JoCo are higher than KCMO and the only reason people live in KCMO is because they can't afford JoCo. Something doesn't add up here.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
So let me get this straight: the apartment in Overland Park is cheaper and larger than the one on the Plaza? Impossible! There are a couple posters on here that swear that all housing values in JoCo are higher than KCMO and the only reason people live in KCMO is because they can't afford JoCo. Something doesn't add up here.
Key words: "on the Plaza"

Try again.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:43 PM

709 posts, read 1,481,310 times
Quote:
Key words: "on the Plaza"

Try again.
In general, the Plaza is cheaper than Downtown, River Market, Crossroads, and some other parts of KC.

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City