Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 AM

654 posts, read 631,633 times

Advertisements

Wow, if you turn up your nose at Beaver Lake, the lakes in Western Kansas and Eastern MO are really going to suck for you. Beaver Lake is actually one of the better man made lakes east of the Rocky Mountains. It is relatively clear, deep and large. Compare it to something like Smithville or Hillsdale lake and there is no comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 AM

20 posts, read 13,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
So are you more of a city family? A suburban family? Or looking for something a bit more bucolic/idyllic?
We are not a city family. Probably more idyllic than suburban, but willing to consider possible change. We currently live in a "subdivision" that each lot is almost 2 acres. We have a pole barn with our toys (4-wheeler's, boat, etc).

I understand that we may not have many trees in the KC area and that we would be leaving the beautiful Great Lakes. But it will be nice to not be water locked either anymore. Hard to get to anything in Northern Michigan without a flight or a long butt drive.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:34 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRobinson08 View Post
We are not a city family. Probably more idyllic than suburban, but willing to consider possible change. We currently live in a "subdivision" that each lot is almost 2 acres. We have a pole barn with our toys (4-wheeler's, boat, etc).

I understand that we may not have many trees in the KC area and that we would be leaving the beautiful Great Lakes. But it will be nice to not be water locked either anymore. Hard to get to anything in Northern Michigan without a flight or a long butt drive.

Gotchya. The Plaza is just a very central part of town, completely surrounded by urban and suburban development. You can definitely still find a beautiful 2 acre lot with plenty of mature trees and otherwise attractive surroundings within a half hour, it just might not feel like you are out being one with nature... will likely be suburbia. I'm sure there are people better than me among the regulars here to make suggestions that fit the bill. You might like it up around Riss Lake, in Parkville MO. Just a wild guess.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:29 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Lee's Summit to the Plaza is not really a great commute. The OP should look at all areas, close in and further out, and see what appeals to them. I know they said they want to be near water. That's not so easy in the KC area, especially within 30 minutes of the Plaza. If trees are important and going to a lake on the weekend is acceptable, there are lots of areas with trees that are much closer in. Sunset Hill just southwest of the Plaza, Mission Hills, Prairie Village, Westwood, Leawood.

I worked on the Plaza for years while living in Prairie Village and it was a quick 15 minute drive to the Plaza through Mission Hills and down Ward Parkway.

2+ acre lots can be found around the metro - Shawnee, Lenexa, Leawood, southern Overland Park, Mission Hills, Bucyrus on the Kansas side and on the Missouri side too. OP, search reecenichols.com for minimum 2 acre properties and you'll find there are a lot. When you visit, be sure to drive all over the metro, both sides of the state line, and look around and see what looks and feels right to you.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-10-2020 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-10-2020, 10:30 AM

20 posts, read 13,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Traverse City region only has higher cost of living for Midwest averages due to retirees and 2nd homeowners pushing prices up for Lake Michigan lakefront and inland lakefront properties.
I don't think this is entirely true. The cost of housing in Traverse City is high regardless if water is involved or not, although you can't drive a mile up here without finding either a lake or river. Yes, it is higher when on the water... but living in Traverse City (and surrounding areas) renting or purchasing is high, when compared to rate of pay. We've had a lot of media coverage/travel awards/small town awards/foodie this or that, etc that is causing a over population issue. My home alone has more than doubled (almost tripled) in value in the last 2 years and I live 30 minutes outside of Traverse City.

Current price ranges within Traverse city and 20 miles outside of Traverse City (3bed 2 bath)
Single wide mobile home in a trailer park, having to lease land range from $35k-$170k)
Condo's $190k-$5.6 million
Stick built Homes- approx $200k-$3.7 million

Maybe it just seems so high because it has hit us only recently, we are "new" to this ?

So unless you already have a good career, your SOL. First time home ownership is basically unheard of anymore. Most average jobs in the area (teller, retail, restaurant worker, fast food, etc) start between $9-$12 per hour (plus tips if applicable). Even working a housekeeping job at the hospital will barely get you $13/hr.

I'm not looking to relocate to get rich off selling my home, but in all honestly, I will walk into a new home owing little, if. (only because I've lived here my whole life and home is almost paid off)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City