Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 AM

241 posts, read 585,652 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I will be visiting Kansas City during our third anniversary and need suggestions for a place to have dinner that evening. Not looking for super-formal or fancy, just great food and unique. We tend to like all sorts of cuisines, especially italian, thai, mexican, indian, and eclectic menus.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 AM

476 posts, read 1,316,101 times
Skies seems to be a popular choice. Its a bit fancier.

Skies Restaurant at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center

Fogo de Chao, a brazilian steakhouse, has recently opened on the Plaza. Its all you can eat, and a bit unique.

Home*::*Fogo de Chao

Le Fou Frog is a great French bistro in the River Market. Don't let the "French" scare you off, its not pretentious at all and isn't terribly expensive.

Le Fou Frog - A Kansas City French Restaurant

Bluestem is a must for foodies.

Bluestem

Michael Smith is another great unique restaurant for foodies.

Restaurant Michael Smith

I've been meaning to try Starker's Reserve forever. I've never been, but I hear they have an outstanding wine selection.

Welcome to Starker's Restaurant

Carmen's Cafe is a popular Italian restaurant in Brookside

Carmen's Cafe - A Kansas City Restaurant

La Bodega is a great tapas restaurant (great paella too!) with a really great setting. One of my wife's favorite restaurants.

La Bodega - A Kansas City Restaurant & Authentic Spanish Tapa Bar

Old 10-22-2009, 01:38 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,613 times
All great suggestions.

I'll add a couple of my favorite romantic resturants.

Thomas's on 39th and Californio's in Westport

Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Melting Pot is a fondue chain that a lot of people go to for special occasions on the Plaza. Its unique, but a bit overrated IMO.

The Melting Pot, Fondue, Fine Wines, Cheese Fondue, Chocolate Fondue, Fondue Parties, Girls Night Out, Dip, Chocolate, Cheese

Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
La Bodega is a great tapas restaurant (great paella too!) with a really great setting. One of my wife's favorite restaurants.
Used to be one of my faves too.

But the last time I went there, we got the worst service I've ever seen in a restaurant (just one example of how the evening went: the server actually rolled her eyes and huffed at me when I asked for a refill of my water. Then returned and splashed it about 1/4 full. )

I have no idea what prompted the poor service, we were polite, we didn't overstay at the table during a rush. I was just floored.

I contacted management TWICE and never received a response. I have since assumed that they no longer want my business nor my referrals.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:08 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,613 times
Wow, I've eaten there on a few occasions and never received bad service. I love the whole tapa concept, it makes eating more interesting, but haven't been to another place serving tapas, so I nothing to compare it to.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:51 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Garozzo's in Columbus Park or Golden OX in the west bottoms are two of KC's landmarks. Casual/upscale .

Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famusdarlin View Post
Wow, I've eaten there on a few occasions and never received bad service. I love the whole tapa concept, it makes eating more interesting, but haven't been to another place serving tapas, so I nothing to compare it to.
Well, I had noticed their portions getting skimpier, but still loved the food. It's been a while now, so I couldn't really say.

Now we do our own blue-cheese-crusted steak at home!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,753 times
Quote:
Now we do our own blue-cheese-crusted steak at home!
I'm coming to your house for dinner!!!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:57 AM

I've been to La Bodega maybe 5-6 times and always had a great time. So hopefully its just an isolated incident.

Forgot a few of my wife's faves:

Bristol - we prefer the one at the Power and Light District, but there is one at Town Center in Leawood too. Best seafood in town. Best service in the city IMO.

Seafood restaurant - Bristol

Potpie - Its cozy and great on a cold day. Located in Westport.

PotPie "Homestyle Fine Dining in Kansas City"

Pierpont's - Love their steaks, they have very knowledgeable bartenders and its a great setting inside Union Station

Pierpont's at Union Station (http://www.herefordhouse.com/content/pierponts0.php - broken link)

Piropo's - We liked it so much better when they were in Parkville, but its still a great place in Briarcliff. Its supposed to be Argentinian, but most of the dishes are pretty much just upscale American bistro.

Piropos - Kansas City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City