Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 6,710 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently relocated to KC from Northern CA. We are hoping to do some camping this summer, so I wanted to find out some things I should watch out for outdoors. I know what sorts of bugs, plants, and snakes to look out for in CA, but I have no idea about this area, and my google searches don't give me much info (maybe I don't have the right keywords). I'm guessing there are mosquitos, but what about ticks? Chiggers? Poison oak/ivy? Any dangerous animals I should look out for? We're not going to go into any extreme wilderness; probably just something like Smithville lake or Lake of the Ozarks. Any info I can get for things in this area would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2006, 11:02 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,240 times
Rattle snakes such as copper head side winder, pigmy rattle snake also cotton mouths. There what I turned up in a search as I am planning to move to the Springfield area. Also the normal ticks and chiggers but that is it for them and only one plant that I know of poison ivy but do not know what it looks like try lurching under the names Good luck and enjoy. Remember there more scared of you then you are of them just do not surprise them and give them time to move away from you and they will

Old 07-21-2006, 10:54 AM

19 posts, read 109,072 times
Okay guys, First thing, contact the Missouri Conservation Department. They have a website. Also, remember that PJKitty and Huntsman58 are talking about two very different parts of the state. You may find Copperheads in the Northwestern part of the state and you may find Rattlesnakes as well. But, Copperheads are not Rattlesnakes. Sidewinders are rattlesnakes but they are usually found in the deserts, not here in Mo. Although you may find a TimberRattle'r and that would be a very dangerous situation. The Cottonmouth is a water loving snake usually found more towards the southern part of the state. This is a mean one. Learn it well if you are going to be out in the water, (canoe trips, camping by a river, etc.) They not only don't like being disturbed, they don't mind trying to chase you down to tell you about it.

Okay, I know that can sound very scarry. You both sound like intelligent people to me so you know what you need already. INFORMATION. Check with the Dept of Conservation for the area you are going to be in. Ask questions that may seem childish. Sometimes people forget that others don't know what they know. Find out what animals are carrying rabies that season. Get safety info for camping ---like do not put food in your tent at night, or on the ground close to your tent. Be sure to always carry id and any medical/physical/handicap info with you as well as contact name and numbers for physicians, family members at home, etc. It is also a good idea for each of you to carry a list of all members in your party, age, sex, height, wght, hair, eyes, relationship and responsible person. This may sound like a real hassle until you are trying to remember all of this info for the ranger that is putting a search party together for the child (or adult) you can not find.

Your whole family will probably enjoy the free mag. the Conservation Dept. mails out monthly with info for adults and children. Just ask them for it. It is really Great.

Have a BLAST in Missouri but do is SAFELY,
MissouriLady

Old 07-22-2006, 03:21 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,231 times
Ticks and chiggers!! Those are the worst of the pests!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 AM

75 posts, read 108,615 times
Default Ugggh spiders

I just hate them. They aren't any big unusual problem in KC, but do note that we have the brown recluse here.

Otherwise, there isn't any one thing that jumps up as a local problem. Not like fire ants in Texas or Lyme disease in New England. Just a little of whatever.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:24 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,793 times
Default poison ivy

Remember the phrase"Leaves of three,let it be".Poison ivy in this state can be a low-growing ground cover, or a vine.Do not confuse it with Virginia Creeper, which has many more leaves per stalk on the vine, and is harmless.I agree, the Conservation Department has lots of great information. Your best bet is to spray with a DEET-based bug repellant on exposed skin AND clothing, wear hiking-type boots with socks when walking off trails or through woods, and shower and scrub with soap soon afterward. This will remove poison ivy oils,chiggers and small ticks. Have a group tick check before bed,including hair.Remember to use caution handling dirty clothes,as very sensitive people can get poison ivy from them.Also, if camping, shake out shoes before putting them on, we do have small scorpions in some areas.Not dangerously poisonous, but a painful sting. These simple steps will greatly increase your enjoyment of our wonderful outdoors.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolls View Post
I just hate them. They aren't any big unusual problem in KC, but do note that we have the brown recluse here.

Otherwise, there isn't any one thing that jumps up as a local problem. Not like fire ants in Texas or Lyme disease in New England. Just a little of whatever.
YOU CAN GET LYME DISEASE IN MO.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:29 PM

75 posts, read 108,615 times
Well of course you can get Lyme Disease here. You can get it plenty of places. It's just not a big enough problem to be a topic or concern.

There are occasionally tornadoes in New England. But the place isn't KNOWN for it. Capiche?

Old 10-05-2006, 01:38 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
I was born and raised here (54 yrs) and farmed for many of that. I have only killed one rattlesnake and seen 2 copperheads. I consider the most worrisome thing would be ticks. Not really a problem around KC but more so in the Ozarks. Yes cottonmouths are bad boys but i wouldn't worry one bit.
Unless you get lost in onre of the major park systems (Ozarks) then you just can't get lost for long in Mo. Just use normal common sense and you will be fine.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 34,745 times
I was born and raised here in MO also. 45 years. And grew up on a farm in Northern Missouri about 30 miles from the Iowa border. And on our farm we did have the rattle snakes, cooperheads, and water mouccasins (I think those are also called the cotton mouth). I agree that the ticks and chiggers are the big thing when it comes to the bugs, cause you don't see them usually until they are already on you. My husband grew up mostly in California, and when he moved here he said that Missouri was so sneaky, cause the woods were so beautiful and there were so many trees, but he said it was deceiving cause you could take off in those woods and come out scratching like crazy. There is poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, and even some of the vines can give you a irritation if you are sensitive to these others. Along with the other advise of washing your clothes and self as soon as you come out of the woods, especially if you are sensitive to these plants, is DO NOT stand down wind of a fire if you or someone is burning brush or anything that could have the vines (plants) on them. Because the wind/smoke will carry the oils through the air. My husband is so sensitive to it that he can get it by being anywhere around it. Hope this helps anyone coming to the Missouri area. Born and raised here, lived in 5 different states, a couple of them more than once, and ALWAYS come back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City