Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 676 times

Advertisements

The differences between the two, Kansas City Missouri and Kansas City Kansas are huge. There's only one thing you need to know--

Everything good is on the Missouri side. From the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum and the Block Gallery of Contemporary Art to theater, Major League Baseball's Kansas City Royals to the National Football League's Kansas City Chiefs, to all the fantastic barbeque and fine restaurant dining, it's all on the Missouri side.

Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 04:58 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I did notice all the new bus stops this year on my trips to JoCo. I think a lot of retail workers use them to get back north or to KCMO. Do they connect into the KCMO system?

Odd, because the entire Denver metro area has one single bus/train system. But we don't have a state line to deal with.
Well, one of the great ironies is this:

Johnson County was the jurisdiction that set the breakup of the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority in motion when it complained that it was getting shortchanged on bus service — but most of the service provided by the new county-run transit system was oriented to commuters to/from downtown KC as well once it got started.

Now, there are four separate transit systems — one serving Kansas City, Mo. and much of KCK, one serving Independence, and two county-run systems in Kansas, one serving Johnson County and one run by the Unified Government (of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas). And a fifth, separate city authority runs the Main Street streetcar. But all four (the streetcar is free and doesn't need to market itself) now market their services under the brand "RideKC" and have coordinated fares.

And Johnson County contracts with the KCATA to operate its bus system.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:07 PM

165 posts, read 143,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRage View Post
The differences between the two, Kansas City Missouri and Kansas City Kansas are huge. There's only one thing you need to know--

Everything good is on the Missouri side. From the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum and the Block Gallery of Contemporary Art to theater, Major League Baseball's Kansas City Royals to the National Football League's Kansas City Chiefs, to all the fantastic barbeque and fine restaurant dining, it's all on the Missouri side.

Enjoy.
I've thought in similar terms through the years. I've never been that impressed with the Legends and the more upscale restaurants and the bulk of KC's cultural attractions are indeed on the Missouri side.

But I've been a bit hasty it seems. Kansas City Kansas is becoming quite the hot spot and even gaining a national reputation for Mexican food. I'm very interested in checking some of the place out on the Taco Trail (mostly in Armordale and along Central Avenue):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brandon...h=538469a94ebf

https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-d...sas-taco-trail

I might add that in terms of BBQ, Slapps BBQ in the Strawberry Hill area is about as good as any in the KC area.

These places hold a lot more interest for me than what's out at the Legends.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:57 PM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
I've thought in similar terms through the years. I've never been that impressed with the Legends and the more upscale restaurants and the bulk of KC's cultural attractions are indeed on the Missouri side.

But I've been a bit hasty it seems. Kansas City Kansas is becoming quite the hot spot and even gaining a national reputation for Mexican food. I'm very interested in checking some of the place out on the Taco Trail (mostly in Armordale and along Central Avenue):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brandon...h=538469a94ebf

https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-d...sas-taco-trail

I might add that in terms of BBQ, Slapps BBQ in the Strawberry Hill area is about as good as any in the KC area.

These places hold a lot more interest for me than what's out at the Legends.
My Philly-born traveling companion was underwhelmed, but Rosedale BBQ on Southwest Boulevard also enjoys a good reputation.

And the current reigning king of all BBQ joints in Greater Kansas City is a restaurant in a gas station at 47th Avenue (north side)/Street (south side) and Mission Road, on the Wyandotte side of the Wyandotte-Johnson county line. Originally called Oklahoma Joe's, after the smoker its co-owner built, it's now called Joe's Kansas City.

One thing I note nobody here in the revived thread has pointed out is that with the exception of Rosedale, which was annexed to Kansas City, Kansas, right after World War II, no part of that city is on the metropolitan street grid. In KCK, numbered streets run north-south and named ones east-west, and the zero axis is Central Avenue, a street that meanders northward and southward as it heads west from the Kaw River.

In Rosedale the numbered streets are called "avenues" to avoid confusion with numbered streets in the rest of KCK, hence my reference to 47th Avenue/47th Street above.

Also: KCK is home to many Eastern European ethnics. I remember attending a Russian Orthodox church service on Strawberry Hill when I was young. KCMo doesn't have many of these white folks. If it's still available, check out the "Q***r Eye" Season 4 episode called "On Golden Kenny." The makeover subject there is an older Lithuanian fellow who lives on Strawberry Hill.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:19 PM

165 posts, read 143,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
My Philly-born traveling companion was underwhelmed, but Rosedale BBQ on Southwest Boulevard also enjoys a good reputation.

And the current reigning king of all BBQ joints in Greater Kansas City is a restaurant in a gas station at 47th Avenue (north side)/Street (south side) and Mission Road, on the Wyandotte side of the Wyandotte-Johnson county line. Originally called Oklahoma Joe's, after the smoker its co-owner built, it's now called Joe's Kansas City.

One thing I note nobody here in the revived thread has pointed out is that with the exception of Rosedale, which was annexed to Kansas City, Kansas, right after World War II, no part of that city is on the metropolitan street grid. In KCK, numbered streets run north-south and named ones east-west, and the zero axis is Central Avenue, a street that meanders northward and southward as it heads west from the Kaw River.

In Rosedale the numbered streets are called "avenues" to avoid confusion with numbered streets in the rest of KCK, hence my reference to 47th Avenue/47th Street above.

Also: KCK is home to many Eastern European ethnics. I remember attending a Russian Orthodox church service on Strawberry Hill when I was young. KCMo doesn't have many of these white folks. If it's still available, check out the "Q***r Eye" Season 4 episode called "On Golden Kenny." The makeover subject there is an older Lithuanian fellow who lives on Strawberry Hill.
Yes, I neglected to mention Rosedale BBQ and, of course, Joe's KC. I mention Slapps because it's deeper into KCK and has notoriety from DDD. One thing for certain, KCK has some really distinct areas for a smaller city (Industrial Armourdale, Argentine, the urban corridor along Central Avenue, a distinct downtown, Strawberry Hill, Fairfax-Quindaro, the western part of the city and, of course, Rosedale). A lot of these areas have become more heavily Hispanic over the years and the restaurant scene has started to reflect that demographic change (hence the recognition as a good place for Mexican food). Rosedale has more of a northern Johnson County inner-ring-of-suburb feel and I tend to overlook that it's part of KCK. While I don't get to KCK all that often, I am intrigued by the city, particularly the urban parts of it and I definitely do not look at it as grimly as some here do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City