Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 19,484 times

Advertisements

I'll most likely be going to UK this fall but my gf is going to school in Kansas City. Should we live inbetween or should I commute from KC to Lawrence? How long would that commute be on average? What are some cities to consider inbetween that are safe and affordable with good access to highways? Is there public transportation that will take me from KC to school? Any and all information is very helpful....thank you in advance! We're moving from Denver so know nothing about Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,870 times
First off - a minor correction: it is KU (UK is Kentucky).

There is bus service from the KC metro to the KU campus. It's a newer thing that just started a couple years ago. I don't know the details, you'll have to google it.

I know plenty of people who have done the KC to Lawrence commute (or vice versa). From downtown, it's about 45 minutes. From the KS suburbs, it can be as short as 20 minutes.

Where is your gf going to school in KC?

The two main routes between the cities are I-70 and K-10 - so if ease of commute is a top concern, you may want live close to one of those highways.

There will be a range of options between KC and Lawrence, depending on what type of living style you like - from urban to suburban, exurban, and rural.

In what type of place would you like to live, and what sort of amenities/activities would you like to have nearby?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I am going to KU next semester myself! What program did you get accepted to? I'm pretty excited to be going there, seems like a great place to be.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
There's not a whole lot in between Kansas City and Lawrence. You could live in Eudora, but that's right outside of Lawrence. You could live in Olathe, but that's right outside of Kansas City. In between it's really mostly farmland; no apartment complexes or anything if that's what you are looking for. There are apartments around K-7 and K-10 and then again around Eudora and in between nothing.

There is the K-10 Connector that goes from Johnson County Community College to Lawrence. I think it might let you off at a park and ride location and then the park and ride bus takes you to campus. I don't think the K-10 Connector goes on campus.

It really depends where your girlfriend is going to school where you live. If she is going to school on the Missouri side, I would say maybe live on the west side of Olathe near K-10 and that way you can get to K-10 and to Lawrence easily and it won't be too far for her, either. But there are going to be days (usually not too many) where the weather is iffy and K-10 will be bad to travel in. Still, there are people who commute. I've done it myself in the winter and was fine. Took me 45 minutes from my door to campus.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM

I realized my mistake as far as calling it UK and not KU...won't make that mistake again! She will be going to Rockhurst (just over the MO border) and to answer the other post's question ill be going to KU for chemical engineering, what are you going for? I would like to live in a townhome preferably with good access to grocery, liquor stores, movie theater, decent places to grab a bit and I don't want pizza delivery to take 2 hours cus I live in the middle of nowhere. What are your thoughts on sewanee? I also really need a safe place that would also allow me to get a job when I'm ready. I've heard good things about overland park and lenexa seems to be dead between the two also. Thank you everyone for your help!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat36 View Post
What are your thoughts on sewanee? I also really need a safe place that would also allow me to get a job when I'm ready. I've heard good things about overland park and lenexa seems to be dead between the two also.
I think you mean Shawnee. Shawnee, Overland Park, and Lenexa would all be nice.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I'm doing Aerospace engineering there. I started out when ChemE and went crazy with Orgo II and p-chem lol.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I just did a quick search for townhomes and came up with this, which is in a good location for easy access to K-10. I know nothing about these specific townhomes but anything in that area - Lenexa, Shawnee, Desoto, Olathe and not in the middle of nowhere.

[SIZE=5]Reserve Townhomes LLC[/SIZE]

23419 W 89th Ter, Shawnee Mission, KS 66227

(913) 764-9898 ()

There are also several apartment complexes that are newer in that area. Here is one, and judging by the name and address it looks like may be part of the same complex as the townhomes above. Nice area; no worries about crime or anything.

Lenexa Kansas Homes - Floor Plans - The Reserve Apartments

Old 04-21-2012, 12:25 AM

Thank you everyone for all of your input!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
I would just have one person commute while the other has a normal school day with out the commute . That would mean you guys would choose to live in KC or Lawrence. IMO Those are two of the most vibrant areas in the entire metro, Westport/ Plaza, and Lawrence. Sure one of you will be getting your butt kicked in rush hour every day, better one of you than both of you. Two people living together commuting can amount to four hours per day that will be lost in transit combined. I would probably live in the smaller city because it would be easier to get out of and on the highway in the morning. But I think you will find traffic in the area agreeable. People in the Metro always complain about the orange cones every where but thats because KC is constantly improving its interior roads.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-21-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas