Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times

Advertisements

Wow, ignorance comes in so many forms. Looking to persecute the entire state of Kansas because one group expresses their Constitutional right to free speech. I'm glad I don't live where some of you do. Is the only type of speech where you live "progressive speech"? Don't confuse this, I think the WBC is despicable, but until someone changes the Constitution, they have a right to be stupid.

Just so you might be a bit educated about Fred Phelps, take a look at his record before he went loony. He was a leading civil rights attorney. Yep, he's off the reservation now, but he hasn't always been that way.

Finally, for all of you folks who aren't from KS but feel the need to bash the state, fix your own problems before you worry about ours.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was hoping for some fresh answers.

Is WBC like groups sort of typical of Kansas? I was anticipating them to be located in some no-name small town, but they're right in the Topeka. Are Kansas residents trying to get rid of them or push them out...or do they agree with them(and other extremist groups)?

I notice that Kansas actually only has 3 hate groups detected by the SPL.

I'm just wondering what general consensus is among residents.
Why not wikipedia it? Sure would save your looking like nothing more than a troll.

They aren't originally from KS.
They moved here because the 666xx zipcode of Topeka.
We generally despise them.
Their founder used to be an Al Gore supporter and fundraiser.
They are no longer supporters of either party, the protested at Gores dads funeral.

Your talk of us getting rid or them or pushing them out because we don't like "free speech" is a bad as the WBC folks are. Should we start lynching mormons and jews too or are they ok in your book?

Welcome to the 21st century.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Wow, ignorance comes in so many forms. Looking to persecute the entire state of Kansas because one group expresses their Constitutional right to free speech. I'm glad I don't live where some of you do. Is the only type of speech where you live "progressive speech"? Don't confuse this, I think the WBC is despicable, but until someone changes the Constitution, they have a right to be stupid.

Just so you might be a bit educated about Fred Phelps, take a look at his record before he went loony. He was a leading civil rights attorney. Yep, he's off the reservation now, but he hasn't always been that way.

Finally, for all of you folks who aren't from KS but feel the need to bash the state, fix your own problems before you worry about ours.
We get a thread or two like this almost every year.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
You are right Mathguy, I read a few of the OP troll's posts on other threads.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
If you read the wiki article: Westboro Baptist Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, you'll learn that it started in 1991 and the issue that seems to have started it was the homosexual activity about 6 blocks from the church at Gage Park. Before that time, we used to visit the park and zoo there, the Topeka Zoo actually. I, too, am not sure what the purpose is of the OP is in starting the thread. Any research can be done one the web as far as the history of such groups. I'm not sure how the OP would suggest that we "push them out" or "get rid of them" but, frankly, I find that troubling.
That gay public sex issue isn't surprising. That's a widespread issue that is kept under the rug. But I don't see why Phelps would have chosen Topeka because of that, being that it happens everywhere.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:18 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
Yeah, sorry... I don't agree with that. Nor do most people.

If you all didn't accept and welcome these people on some level, then they wouldn't feel comfortable with living there. Obviously, they feel comfortable with living there. They're able to exist and socialize to a considerable extent.

In my state, groups like the WBC wouldn't even be able to exist, even in the aspects of their lives that are unrelated to the group, because no one would want to get near them. A reputation would quickly develop for each individual who was involved with the group. None of them would be employable, which means that they would barely be able to survive.

In order to live anywhere, a person has to have all of their basic needs met. Among these needs are harmony with the surrounding community and the ability to maintain a favorable reputation (for purposes of employment, among other things).

The WBC are clearly able to exist comfortably in Kansas (in a major city, no less!). Each member of the group seems quite able to socialize, and are able to maintain enough harmony with their communities to get what they need in the basic sense. Their reputations are preserved enough for them to retain employment (because it's really, really unlikely that all those protestors are starving to death...). And in order for their reputations to be so preserved, they have to be accepted and embraced by their surrounding communities to a considerable extent. Especially in order to gain as many members as they have gained.

So the obvious logical inference here is that the WBC is pretty well-accepted in Kansas. Which is probably what the OP was trying to get at.
I don't live in Kansas, but close enough that I see news from there on occasion. I would hardly say that the Westboro folks "exist comfortably" there. They don't work outside the ministry that I know of, are mainly supported by like-minded donors from around the world, mostly keep to themselves with no social life to speak of outside the church, are frequently the target of verbal assaults and occasionally the target of physical attacks. And regarding their "many members," by most account their membership is about 50 and are mostly immediate and extended family members of Fred Phelps.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,779,436 times
Just out of curiosity I have interacted with several of the girls from Westboro, and they were actually quite pleasant to have a conversation with. Smiled and laughed while they told me I'm going straight to hell

Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I never figured out what is the problem. The WBC is using the bible verses to make its points. They never attack anyone physically, and actually look funny with their colored signs and IHOP looking church. In fact I bet more people attack them than they fight back against. It's even funnier seeing the fairies with their skirts in a bind when the WBC show their anti-sodomy signs. It does not bother me one bit despite the fact I could care less what two guys or gals do behind closed doors.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
Yeah, sorry... I don't agree with that. Nor do most people.

If you all didn't accept and welcome these people on some level, then they wouldn't feel comfortable with living there. Obviously, they feel comfortable with living there. They're able to exist and socialize to a considerable extent.
OMG. Not one person that I know agrees with Westboro. The only experience I have with them is when they picketed a CHURCH SERVICE I was attending. They certainly don't represent any Christians that I know. I don't know of anyone in Kansas (or anywhere else) who welcomes them. What a strange thing for you to say.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
They are probably extreme even for Kansas although that state seems to be full of right wing religious tards who outlawed evolution being taught in the schools there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas