Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 06:15 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times

Advertisements

I have seen the demise of many of the smaller towns in KS over the years, some of the bigger. Most of the talk has been that a lack of jobs is what is taking them down but now, I am seeing a new dimension, medical care. I just came across this article: Newman to close Madison and Osage City operations - Emporia Gazette: Area News and another: Fort Scott Tribune: Local News: Mercy is not closing, says its president (06/04/14). I am wondering if this is being seen across the state since I only look at a couple areas. I know this has been going on for awhile and many towns have lost their medical clinics and this is hard on a lot of the residents who then have to commute into nearby towns for services, many elderly and with chronic conditions. This also makes the need for nurses, etc. in these areas non-existent. Medicaid and Medicare payments aren't really enough to keep a facility or clinic up and running these days.

I have read a lot of articles on Brownback not expanding Medicaid in the state but the cost would be prohibitive since with the low wages in most parts of the state, the roles would be overflowing and we already have a shortfall: http://www.fstribune.com/story/2088820.html Look at the poverty rates.

Here is an article on what the cost of expanding Medicaid would be: http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/re...expansion.html This is not to be political but to state what is the obvious when it comes to what is happening with the state especially the rural areas and small towns.

You just can't sit there can be stagnant. In biology we learned that (1) change has to take place or (2) adaptation has to take place and if neither of those happen the third option comes into play and we all know what that is, death.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 07-08-2014 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: Additional information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas