Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times

Advertisements

Kansas is a high birth rate state that will probably consistently need more funding for education even if all the waste is extracted.

At the same time more kids than the national average are being produced, more people of wage earning age are leaving than arriving.

That's why I think it was shortsighted for Brownback to cut the tax rates. He should have waited until Kansas started gaining 18-64 year olds from the other states.

He could have waited until Wichita promised to provide hipster-attracting amenities like light rail or microbreweries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:47 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
I doubt if most people have any idea of the crap they are being taught in the public schools in Kansas. Throwing money at this rat hole will not help anything as years of doing so has proven to anyone willing to open their eyes. Mediocrity and teaching to the lowest common denominator is the rule and it gets pretty low. 80% of the teachers are there for a paycheck and do the very, very, very least they can do to keep getting it. The administration is all out for themselves also, period.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:30 PM

50 posts, read 111,872 times
i have to laugh at the people who say kansas has low education standards. the results from common core were delayed for a year, til after the elections. when california went below mississippi they changed results in an orwellian fashion.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
Just because there are worse, doesn't mean than they aren't bad.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I doubt if most people have any idea of the crap they are being taught in the public schools in Kansas. Throwing money at this rat hole will not help anything as years of doing so has proven to anyone willing to open their eyes. Mediocrity and teaching to the lowest common denominator is the rule and it gets pretty low. 80% of the teachers are there for a paycheck and do the very, very, very least they can do to keep getting it. The administration is all out for themselves also, period.
Then why does KS do pretty well in terms of student test scores and graduation rates etc. against the rest of the nation?

Lets see some facts instead of hyperbole.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:23 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Then why does KS do pretty well in terms of student test scores and graduation rates etc. against the rest of the nation?

Lets see some facts instead of hyperbole.
Your facts showing that KS grads do pretty well?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Your facts showing that KS grads do pretty well?
The person that initially makes the claim has to support their position.

Besides, every post you've ever made around here has been factually incorrect. If you disagree, then feel free to prove otherwise.

#irony.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
The person that initially makes the claim has to support their position.

Besides, every post you've ever made around here has been factually incorrect. If you disagree, then feel free to prove otherwise.

#irony.
I remember when I was in high school (Shawnee Mission district) we were featured on 20/20 as a district that was doing things right. I'm quite pleased with the education I received in Kansas.

The issue I see today that's going on in all states is that public schools aren't receiving the funds they need. Now we get the corporate sponsors (ads on buses, outside schools), crappier school lunches, constant begging for money from the parents, etc. And at the same time we hear from the "fiscally conservatives" that "throwing money at schools won't solve the problem". Well, there's a line where more money is a wasted, and on the other side, not enough money is a problem. Seems like we've crossed that line in the past decade on the side of insufficient funding of public schools.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I remember when I was in high school (Shawnee Mission district) we were featured on 20/20 as a district that was doing things right. I'm quite pleased with the education I received in Kansas.

The issue I see today that's going on in all states is that public schools aren't receiving the funds they need. Now we get the corporate sponsors (ads on buses, outside schools), crappier school lunches, constant begging for money from the parents, etc. And at the same time we hear from the "fiscally conservatives" that "throwing money at schools won't solve the problem". Well, there's a line where more money is a wasted, and on the other side, not enough money is a problem. Seems like we've crossed that line in the past decade on the side of insufficient funding of public schools.
Depends, my home state of Illinois is so broke that they've definitely gone this route. Even within a state it varies wildly.

Did you know that EVERY highschool student in the Shawnee Mission School District got a macbook air as part of their tech initiative this year? Great way to make sure that ALL kids are learning important skills and not just the ones that have parents that can afford these items.

(Junior high age and lower got ipads)

There is a reason a lot of poorer families (many immigrants) pay higher rents to live in the SMSD and get their kids a quality education and get ahead.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Depends, my home state of Illinois is so broke that they've definitely gone this route. Even within a state it varies wildly.

Did you know that EVERY highschool student in the Shawnee Mission School District got a macbook air as part of their tech initiative this year? Great way to make sure that ALL kids are learning important skills and not just the ones that have parents that can afford these items.

(Junior high age and lower got ipads)

There is a reason a lot of poorer families (many immigrants) pay higher rents to live in the SMSD and get their kids a quality education and get ahead.
Back when I was in the SMSD, all we had was Trapper Keepers and overhead projectors lol! But I would fully support that for all students. Our kids use iPads to do homework and it works great. Plus we download apps for other learning on the side. But we paid for them.

Coloradans don't like higher taxes, so schools have resorted to a lot of alternative funding. For our kids' charter school, we probably contribute $500 per year per student through fundraisers. But at least there is no tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas