Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 02:10 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

I don't know how many are familiar with HB 2553 but I did not realize that it would put Medicare in the same position as people like my son with DD as the state would be making decisions about who is worthy of medical care and who isn't. So, how will you fare? Might want to get your affairs in order. Now, isn't it true that they said that ObamaCare would bring about death panels? Yes, it is but now, the state has put themselves in a position to have their own panels and they are at this very moment experimenting with people with developmental disabilities like my son. People are being denied the services that they need and stalled and stalled which we all know how that ends when you need medical services.

Trust me when I say that complaining to your elected officials and state officials will get you nothing when the time comes. They are attempting to move all local control out and decisions about whether you get medical care or not will be out of the control of yourself, your family and your medical professionals.

A good article: Opinion Line Extra (May 13) | The Wichita Eagle

And the bill: HB 2553 | Bills and Resolutions | Kansas State Legislature

And, another good article: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...dicaid-Funding

So, how lucky do you feel that at 80 years old and needing major surgery that you'll be deemed worthy of dipping into Medicare, something you paid in to for years and years? Don't worry about it because it doesn't look like you will have any say in it anyway.

Now, this is the way to make Kansas attractive to businesses and families outside of the state.

I was not aware that this bill encompassed so much. I try to keep up with what is going on with the DD population but beyond that, I have been very busy getting the house market ready which it turns out was time well spent! Good grief!

Old 10-28-2014, 03:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
I have been saying this ALL ALONG.

I am one year shy of Medicare, and unfortunately, my husband is almost three years younger than I am and won't retire until I've been on Medicare for a few years. This awful legislation was passed LAST MAY and people weren't paying attention. If we get a Republican Senate AND House, the compact can be approved, and it will be a go. Maybe if I'm lucky, his company's health plan will agree to keep me on after I turn 65.

So we will retire early and get the heck out of Kansas. We will never live in a state with such draconian treatment of my generation and people with disabilities. There are nine states signed on to this "healthcare compact". All of them are off our list of places to move.

This doesn't just affect seniors, either. Adult children of the elderly will be stuck with fighting the insurance companies and dealing with the paperwork when their parents aren't able to.

I have read so much about this and have never found an answer to my question: What will I do when I travel out of state and have an accident or a health crisis and am taken to a hospital that doesn't honor the Kansas Compact? How does that work? CRICKETS.

Paul Davis has promised to repeal this if elected, but I am disappointed he hasn't hammered Brownback on this in television ads. This is the way to secure the vote of everyone 65 and older, and also their kids.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:51 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,932 times
Do you know who is sponsoring Health Care Compacts at the states' legislative levels?
Hint: google "health care compact ALEC" to find out.

Only eight other states have approved:
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Texas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Utah and
Indiana

Kansas is in good company. Seems like Kansas is the new Kentucky.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 PM

TinaMcG: Yes, I know you have been saying it all along but I just wasn't hearing it from any other source. I do wonder why it was happening so quietly. No, I actually know the reason as we all do. That is another complaint that I have because you would be shocked, or maybe not, if you learned all the things they manage to keep out of the spotlight under the buddy system.

Between our son with DD and both turning 65 in 4.5 years, I just don't have the energy for this. Everyone I talk to is so passive, shrug their shoulders, "What ya' goin' do?" Well, I can't do it alone.

I have crossed AL off of my list now and the others, I would never have considered. My home state of MI is still a contender as is AZ. With AZ, you can go across the border for affordable healthcare (vet care is also very reasonable) should they decide to join the compact. ND is cold and I knew someone from there when I was in Anchorage and he claimed the weather was much better in Anchorage.

Honestly, there have been times when I did not vote on an issue or for someone in an election because I did not take the time to really study the situation but, otherwise, I try to weigh all the options completely before putting an "X" in the box.

I am very concerned for my son since his health has been good but as he ages, just like the rest of us, I want to know that we will be able to access the care that he needs. AZ looking good with Mexico as a backup.

TinaMcG: You are the one that got me researching further into this tragedy, so thanks!

Old 10-29-2014, 06:19 AM

Yet another article and imagine what happens as Sunflower doesn't allow providers like KUMC and Stormont Vail to provide care for their patients. If you eliminate Medicaid and Medicare patients for those providers, how will they survive? Former executive alleges misconduct by Kansas Medicaid contractor | CJOnline.com

Old 10-29-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Do you know who is sponsoring Health Care Compacts at the states' legislative levels?
Hint: google "health care compact ALEC" to find out.

Only eight other states have approved:
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Texas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Utah and
Indiana

Kansas is in good company. Seems like Kansas is the new Kentucky.
Uh oh, I didn't realize Missouri was on that list. So scratch any plans to jump over the state line to escape it. I guess our original plan to return to Illinois still stands. Too bad, too, because we find the people in this area to be the friendliest we have met anywhere. It's just the politics...terrible.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Yet another article and imagine what happens as Sunflower doesn't allow providers like KUMC and Stormont Vail to provide care for their patients. If you eliminate Medicaid and Medicare patients for those providers, how will they survive? Former executive alleges misconduct by Kansas Medicaid contractor | CJOnline.com
I read that last night! Thanks for posting it. No KU Med? Seriously??

Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
TinaMcG: Yes, I know you have been saying it all along but I just wasn't hearing it from any other source. I do wonder why it was happening so quietly. No, I actually know the reason as we all do. That is another complaint that I have because you would be shocked, or maybe not, if you learned all the things they manage to keep out of the spotlight under the buddy system.

Between our son with DD and both turning 65 in 4.5 years, I just don't have the energy for this. Everyone I talk to is so passive, shrug their shoulders, "What ya' goin' do?" Well, I can't do it alone.

I have crossed AL off of my list now and the others, I would never have considered. My home state of MI is still a contender as is AZ. With AZ, you can go across the border for affordable healthcare (vet care is also very reasonable) should they decide to join the compact. ND is cold and I knew someone from there when I was in Anchorage and he claimed the weather was much better in Anchorage.

Honestly, there have been times when I did not vote on an issue or for someone in an election because I did not take the time to really study the situation but, otherwise, I try to weigh all the options completely before putting an "X" in the box.

I am very concerned for my son since his health has been good but as he ages, just like the rest of us, I want to know that we will be able to access the care that he needs. AZ looking good with Mexico as a backup.

TinaMcG: You are the one that got me researching further into this tragedy, so thanks!

You're welcome, but isn't it sad that you had to find out that way? This is the ONE issue that would be the final nail in Brownback's reelection coffin. When you threaten Medicare, it's always a losing proposition -- and they rely on people not paying attention.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 AM

Wait. It gets worse. I just saw an ad for Pat Roberts that shows an elderly woman talking about how Obama cut $700M from HER MEDICARE and Greg Orman would just support the Obama agenda.

GIVE ME A BREAK. When are the Republicans going to stop touting that completely discredited claim??? The cuts were waste from Medicare Advantage companies overcharging patients.

Roberts is toast. He's done. He is reduced to being a robot who repeats Republican talking points over and over and over until even I feel embarrassed for him. He's done nothing for Kansas in years, and he now has Pat Boone doing robocalls for him. Yes, THAT Pat Boone.

Can we please live in the 21st century here???

Old 10-29-2014, 08:00 AM

Hey, AnywhereElse, now that you and I have found a bit of common ground, I just ran across this and thought it might be a little encouraging for you:

KS - Sam Brownback (R) Confronted by Unhappy Parents in Southeast Kansas - Linkis.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas