Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:16 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,221 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure the lady in the video I put up is from southeast Kansas. I have met tons of people from rural southeast Kansas and she sounds exactly like them. The fist video the other poster put up only included one local. The other people in that video are not natives to se kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 03:17 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Lots of random samples of native speakers in Cherokee County, KS. None of them sound like the woman in the clip above. Again, she may be a native Kansan, though her accent would suggest she is not, but if she is, she is an outlier. Her speech is not "normal" SE Kansas accented speech.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9b7XNxbVqo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTicouwJoME

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/T...ice=tablet&c=y

Last edited by SPonteKC; 01-17-2015 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Wichita is more like Oklahoma City than Kansas City imo. No part of Kansas is Southern in the Georgia/South Carolina sense, but there is plenty of Central-Southern influence from Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas. It's not really anything like most of the Midwest either. The states it's most similar to are Oklahoma and Nebraska.
Agree entirely. SE corner definitely has southern touches, as in OK/N TX version of that I guess. Western third or so has Western transition feel. Many Midwesternisms east/north. Overall, a Plains state before anything else; and, like most Plains states, it has influences from both West and East (Midwest) near-ish the middle, and additionally a touch of Southern in the general Wichita area.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:34 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Historically, there was a large southern migration to Kansas in the 1850s in an attempt to get the state admitted as a slave state.

I believe that there was a large southern contingent who settled around Atchison, Ks and ended up organizing the state constitution called the Lecompton, KS

Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Lots of random samples of native speakers in Cherokee County, KS. None of them sound like the woman in the clip above. Again, she may be a native Kansan, though her accent would suggest she is not, but if she is, she is an outlier. Her speech is not "normal" SE Kansas accented speech.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9b7XNxbVqo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTicouwJoME

Twister Struck Baxter Springs Moments After Warning
Lots of these videos you are posting the speakers have southern sounding accents. Are the full on southern accents....no. But it does show that southeast Kansas could be the part of the state where this dialect would be. They don't sound any different than accents right across the border in Oklahoma.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:44 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Kansas accents sound a little bit southern to me. But, then again, most accents south of I-80 sound "twangy" to me, including states like Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. I do realize that it isn't a true southern accent, but my perspective is from a place that has an accent that is as non-southern as humanly possible.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:42 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Yep. You know you're in the Lower Midwest when folks say things like "warsh". Not truly Southern, but definitely not Upper Midwestern.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Here is a good representation of how the accent is in far southeast Kansas.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XT6vMewXQcU
What do you think? It's hard for me to judge since I have a southern accent...does this lady have an accent???
That's an Oklahoma accent. Baxter Springs is only ten miles from Commerce, Oklahoma, home town of Mickey Mantle, who had a serious Oklahoma accent. "Bob wore faints" = "barbed wire fence".

Old 01-21-2015, 12:01 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
Are grits and sweet tea a thing in Southeast Kansas? I'm not really sure how far west these two southern staples are found.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:02 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
I think Kansas has a Bible-Belt, rural feel, so while it's not southern per se, it's not super far off either.

Disclaimer: I've only been through Kansas by bus, and never been to the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas