Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:33 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

Much of the income in Emporia is either spent in KC, Wichita or Topeka by the more wealthy residents, I saw this in Fort Scott also. One stroll past the Western Union windows on payday, a fair portion of the money is headed to Mexico. Illegal aliens poured into the area over the 8 years that Obama was promising amnesty which certainly didn't help the situation.

As someone mentioned, and although I was not here at that time, those from Somalia presented a problem here. I read some articles on it. Personally, to me, these refugees were here legally versus all the illegals here that the companies and politicians embrace.

But, they brought in TB: Somalis arrive in Emporia with tuberculosis | CJOnline.com and they were moved: Somalis will relocate | News | emporiagazette.com I just thought mostly it was because this is Kansas, and they were black. I am not originally from Kansas, and the whole "race" thing has always baffled me here.

Emporia was hit hard by the loss of 1,500 jobs in slaughter that disappeared. Every new business now is either fast food or retail. Hobby Lobby seems to be doing well as there is a revival of sorts of "hobbies". I could thousands in one trip visiting there.

Fort Scott is doing a little better than they had trying to dig their way from the dark hole they slide into. They don't have the plague of the illegal alien to deal with like Pittsburg does.

One can blame KBI for some of this. They often know of drug traffic and don't stop major sources that flow into the areas. If a crack house can operate for 25 years in a neighborhood, and the only drug busts are of those that recently moved into an area (think competition for locals).............. Yeah, give them a call, ah, that doesn't work no matter how many times you call!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 07:05 AM

160 posts, read 174,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
Emporia, Kansas Named Best Small Town In America To Escape From

EMPORIA, KS—Calling it a tough decision with hundreds of other dispiriting options available, a report released Monday by Forbes magazine declared Emporia, KS the best small town in America to escape from. “After examining a wide range of quality-of-life indicators, we determined that there was no better place in America to get the hell out of and never look back,” said editor Martha Collins, adding that factors such as housing conditions and the overall health of residents made it ideal for packing one’s bags for the big city and never looking back. “The school system is perfect for someone who wants to jump on the first bus out of town so they never have to see those people’s faces again, and the local economy provides a range of dead-end jobs for people to quit because they don’t want to wake up 40 years from now having wasted their lives like their old man—ultimately, there was no better town for dreaming of a better life somewhere, anywhere else.”

Emporia gets The Onion treatment (Disclaimer: The Onion is a well-known satirical publication).

https://www.facebook.com/theemporiag...96009067119379

When I told my wife the winner was in KS, her quess was Manhattan. Turns out it is her home town. IF one were to reject satire, it's true that jobs @ Twinkie & Hills Pet Foods are similar to the BEEF & Hostess 40 years ago. I wouldn't want to compare today's salaries with those of the 1970s.

There is https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/visit-emporia_a/317.htm

There's a trace of culture => Tracy Lawrence, Tracy Byrd & Trace Adkins @ the Granada Theatre. And Bluestem for shopping.
LOl look up the Onion's "stop and kiss" policy and see if you still respect their words !

Old 01-22-2018, 03:28 PM

192 posts, read 131,176 times
I don't buy the argument that "illegals" are the cause of so many problems that boogeymen like Kris Kobach make them out to be. The fact is that Kansas continues to be backwards in all the wrong ways that states like Colorado aren't. If you don't work to keep the youth satisfied, they are going to pack up and leave.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
I don't buy the argument that "illegals" are the cause of so many problems that boogeymen like Kris Kobach make them out to be. The fact is that Kansas continues to be backwards in all the wrong ways that states like Colorado aren't. If you don't work to keep the youth satisfied, they are going to pack up and leave.
Thankfully, a lot of us out in SWKS are a lot more educated and rational about immigrants than some posters on citydata.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:48 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:
The fact that there are over 11 serious Republican contenders and a handful of others tells me that the Kansas gop is hardly behind Kobach. That said, he can centainly take advantage of the big field and it will actually be to his advantage. If Kobach wins and a Democrat besides Svatly wins, I’ll just focus on other political races. Screw the far left and far right. Both of their ideologies are dangerous to our country.

I’m all for requiring ID for voting, but Kobach isn’t conservative with his wasted crusade against voter fraud. In their quest to do anything to find fraud they have actually accidentally released thousands of social security information. Kobach has never shown any ability to lead and his “legacy” is already starting to crumble.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The fact that there are over 11 serious Republican contenders and a handful of others tells me that the Kansas gop is hardly behind Kobach. That said, he can centainly take advantage of the big field and it will actually be to his advantage. If Kobach wins and a Democrat besides Svatly wins, I’ll just focus on other political races. Screw the far left and far right. Both of their ideologies are dangerous to our country.

I’m all for requiring ID for voting, but Kobach isn’t conservative with his wasted crusade against voter fraud. In their quest to do anything to find fraud they have actually accidentally released thousands of social security information. Kobach has never shown any ability to lead and his “legacy” is already starting to crumble.
It sadly doesn't matter if Kobach isn't the most popular candidate or not as proven by the last election. Kobach could be behind up until the final decision and miraculously win and we would never be allowed to see any of the voting machine data. I think it should be illegal for him to retail the position of secretary of state while running for office, especially since his whole this is trying to suppress as many voters who don't support the far right as possible. Carl Brewer surprised everyone by heading out to SWKS. Joshua Svaty claims to have visited every county, but so far he hasn't shown much commitment in trying to capture anyone in Hays, Great Bend, Garden City, Dodge City, and Liberal. I think he's hoping that being from Ellsworth will get him the small town vote. I know some older people in organizations that I participate who don't like Josh just because he looks shaggy most of the time and they don't find his appearance acceptable, which is shallow, but I can't say that I don't agree at times after digging though his campaign page videos and such.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:53 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
It sadly doesn't matter if Kobach isn't the most popular candidate or not as proven by the last election. Kobach could be behind up until the final decision and miraculously win and we would never be allowed to see any of the voting machine data. I think it should be illegal for him to retail the position of secretary of state while running for office, especially since his whole this is trying to suppress as many voters who don't support the far right as possible. Carl Brewer surprised everyone by heading out to SWKS. Joshua Svaty claims to have visited every county, but so far he hasn't shown much commitment in trying to capture anyone in Hays, Great Bend, Garden City, Dodge City, and Liberal. I think he's hoping that being from Ellsworth will get him the small town vote. I know some older people in organizations that I participate who don't like Josh just because he looks shaggy most of the time and they don't find his appearance acceptable, which is shallow, but I can't say that I don't agree at times after digging though his campaign page videos and such.
I’ve never understood why Kobach opposes transparency in allowing public access to voting data, for being such a “champion” against voter fraud, I would think allowing more transparency would be at the top of the list of things he should do. That said, I don’t believe there is data manipulation and/or voter suppression by either side (and that’s also why I don’t think Kobach wants the data to be public). Both sides use it as propaganda to get their bases riled up. There are many groups out there that help elderly, poor, and disabled get out to vote.

The best thing the US could do for voting is by creating a national ID card. Every US citizen should have one at no cost when they turn 18. That would eliminate the only real way voter fraud can happen which is by crossing state lines and ID card would be easy for any US citizen to obtain. But, most Republicans and Democrats oppose a national ID card. Reality is, the states can only do some much and they have no way to keep track of migration between states.

I’ve only listened to Brewer a few times and he seemed too liberal for me, but if Kobach really wins the primary, I’ll at least pay attention to what’s happening with the Democrats, but I don’t expect I’d vote for most of them.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:40 AM

374 posts, read 563,357 times
Quote:
There are many groups out there that help elderly, poor, and disabled get out to vote.
ROFLMAO ~~~~

You don't know how true that is IN KANSAS:

My poling place is the lobby of Via Christi Village (nursing home). One year, I was a few spots in line behind the Bill Snyder Family Voting Bloc. Bill accompanied his daughter to instruct her how to vote. Not kidding, he stood with her at her polling computer & showed her how to vote. NO ONE SAID DIDDLY, but a few did snap pics (no selfies, AFAIK).

In 2004, I was waiting to vote when a health care aide wheeled a man best described as "not there" into the lobby.

Aide: Would you like to vote for President, Mr. X?

Mr. X: silence

Aide: Would you like to vote for President Bush, Mr. X?

Aide: Would you like to vote for President Bush, Mr. X?

The Aide got progressively louder as that's how you communicate in nursing home. I lost track of how many more times the Aide repeated her wish for the man to vote for her president. She never mentioned any other (Democratic, perhaps?) candidate. Although no more congnizant than before, he was still in line to vote when I left. I had no doubts as to whom he/Aide voted for.

I went straight home & called the Riley County Clerk, Rich Vargo. He assured me this was unacceptable, that all polling places had been instructed properly & that he would check into it.

Quote:
There are many groups out there that help elderly, poor, and disabled get out to vote
REPUBLICAN IN KANSAS.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:22 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Since you don't live here, I guess what you buy or not means very little. KS is overrun with anchor baby producing illegals aliens overburdening our social services and including our jails. The youth leave because there are no jobs. Companies looking at a place like Emporia will see the poverty level of 25% and avoid it like the plague. A poverty rate of 25% in a city says a LOT about that city, and it isn't something good that it is saying. Code enforcement is very limited and there are areas of town that definitely reek of "3rd world".

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed100 is considered "good" and Emporia has a 31.

http://www.kvoe.com/newsedit/21942-l...0-year-average

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 07:07 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Since you don't live here, I guess what you buy or not means very little. KS is overrun with anchor baby producing illegals aliens overburdening our social services and including our jails. The youth leave because there are no jobs. Companies looking at a place like Emporia will see the poverty level of 25% and avoid it like the plague. A poverty rate of 25% in a city says a LOT about that city, and it isn't something good that it is saying. Code enforcement is very limited and there are areas of town that definitely reek of "3rd world".

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed100 is considered "good" and Emporia has a 31.

Lyon County crime stats track along near 10-year average - KVOE
Sadly, I do live in Kansas in an area of the state full of migrant workers and can confirm that cheezball is correct in his assumptions.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas