Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:16 PM

374 posts, read 563,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by werit View Post
However, I have found this behavior to be a trait of some Kansans, so I am actually used to it. If you dare to be critical of Kansas they freak out. I suspect the poster that responded to me has some political axe to grind and that also played a role in their attack.
My using KSinmyrearviewmirror called for an all-out tantrum . . .

If you dare to be critical of Kansas they freak out.

From my experience, that's an understatement. It was explained (defended) that the KS forum had been under attacked for years & therefore they had a right to lobbing personal attacks.

THUS: Mathguy This user is on your Ignore List.

And per @Mattks:

KSinmyrearviewmirror: @Mathguy, sorry but your allegiance to KSU, for whom you sometimes work, & defense of the NBAF, leads me to discount your posts as biased. I'm sure you had something pertinant to add to the subject of KS being the #5 bail-out state.

Quote re: KSinmyrearviewmirror's posts

Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
HIS posts are biased???
@Mattks: You are not alone, all one can do is smile and nod.

These 2 are self-appointed C-D KS post correctness fiends. For the most part, they remind of Don Quixote's attacks on windmills.. . . appropriate for Kansas? Post at your own risk.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:17 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I did not personally insult another poster or call them out specifically though. That is a huge difference to me. If a poster was offended at the true statement that there is little to do in Kansas except go to church or Wal Mart that is their problem, not mine. Maybe they should have pointed out where I was wrong instead of just lobbing personal attacks.

However, I have found this behavior to be a trait of some Kansans, so I am actually used to it. If you dare to be critical of Kansas they freak out. I suspect the poster that responded to me has some political axe to grind and that also played a role in their attack.
Ok, here goes.

First off you made gross generalizations just based upon one small part of KS as well as whatever social group you've been able to associate with. Gross generalization <> true statement.

Not only was it a generalization but it had both classist (walmart) snobby tones as well as a swipe about people that are religious....and finally a backhanded comment about eating and watching TV which is dogwhistling about being fat and inactive.

I hope this helps. Not understanding why this would offend people could be an opportunity for introspection so that your next destination allows you to meet and make friendships with people you enjoy.

So seeing how you can't understand how that would be rude, I can only imagine how you managed to "freak out" people with criticism because I'm chuckling because it reminds me of conversations from Big Bang Theory at some point.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I find it funny that Kansas is being forced to bribe residents of other states to move here to take jobs and replace the natives that are leaving the state in droves, but posters in this forum insist everything is just fine. Maybe instead of shouting people down, you should listen and learn instead.

Taxpayers are even being forced to subsidize college educations for residents of other states due to a lack of in-state talent.

By all means continue to double down on what got the state to this point though.

https://wsutech.edu/news/new-scholar...ion-companies/.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article212956224.html

https://generalaviationnews.com/2018...aviation-jobs/

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/WS...499980051.html
You misspelled Wichita in your first sentence, it does not start with a K.

Parts of the state are definitely experiencing population declines and related to certain industries in particular....some towns have taken a hit.

So, the irony here is that I agree with the vast majority of your post if you'd said Wichita.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post

From my experience, that's an understatement. It was explained (defended) that the KS forum had been under attacked for years & therefore they had a right to lobbing personal attacks.

And per @Mattks:

KSinmyrearviewmirror: @Mathguy, sorry but your allegiance to KSU, for whom you sometimes work, & defense of the NBAF, leads me to discount your posts as biased. I'm sure you had something pertinant to add to the subject of KS being the #5 bail-out state.

HIS posts are biased???

These 2 are self-appointed C-D KS post correctness fiends. For the most part, they remind of Don Quixote's attacks on windmills.. . . appropriate for Kansas? Post at your own risk.
I've never even been to the K-state campus....lol....let alone worked for them.

Told you that before but oddly enough, you forget it 5 minutes later....and just say the same thing.

Have you reached the event horizon where you don't recognize that you even do that?

Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post

And per @Mattks:

HIS posts are biased???

I apologize if I offended you. But you chose your username and that along with your continuous anti-nbaf posts show your bias. You stated yourself that you post here to show the dangers of nbaf and how corrupt the process of getting it here. I made an argument against that, showing that nbaf is a managed risk, like a lot of places and the pathogens present at nbaf almost all already exist in other labs in Manhattan.

Nobody in any real numbers are leaving the state becauase of nbaf. I've given my opinion on why nbaf is good for Manhattan in your previous threads and I dont have the time or energy to repost that much. You feel like you are on a mission to educate the public on the reality of nbaf as you see it, nothing anyone says will stop that.

If you actually read my comments you will see I continually advise people against moving to much of rural Kansas and I have commented many times that the weather is a huge detriment to anyone wanting to live here.

Kansas is a state with millions of people and the culture and people really arent much different then other parts of the region.

If someone is truly unhappy with their location, Id recommend they look inside themself first.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:39 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:
I find it funny that Kansas is being forced to bribe residents of other states to move here to take jobs and replace the natives that are leaving the state in droves, but posters in this forum insist everything is just fine. Maybe instead of shouting people down, you should listen and learn instead.

Taxpayers are even being forced to subsidize college educations for residents of other states due to a lack of in-state talent.

By all means continue to double down on what got the state to this point though.

https://wsutech.edu/news/new-scholar...ion-companies/.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article212956224.html

https://generalaviationnews.com/2018...aviation-jobs/

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/WS...499980051.html
Every state does those things. Nothing unique to Kansas.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:29 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
I've been in Kansas many times, if you like it, fine, stay there and enjoy it. Most people don't want to live where there is poor employment opportunities, few entertainment options, and more cows then people. Hop on Route 70 and drive across Kansas sometime. If you find it's for you, take up residence there.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I've been in Kansas many times, if you like it, fine, stay there and enjoy it. Most people don't want to live where there is poor employment opportunities, few entertainment options, and more cows then people. Hop on Route 70 and drive across Kansas sometime. If you find it's for you, take up residence there.
I agree there are many parts of KS (and other states) that just would not be a fit for my personal needs.

That being said, there is a wide variety within the state.

Where I live, I can get to an opera, world class concert, pro football, soccer, baseball and a host of other things within 30 minutes. *shrug*

Old 11-21-2018, 09:07 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I agree there are many parts of KS (and other states) that just would not be a fit for my personal needs.

That being said, there is a wide variety within the state.

Where I live, I can get to an opera, world class concert, pro football, soccer, baseball and a host of other things within 30 minutes. *shrug*
No, the reality is that there is Johnson County and the rest of the state. A substantial gulf generally separates the two areas.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:41 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Since it goes without saying that that's what people are going to do, I'm failing to see a point here.

I've been to Boston many times and wouldn't for a moment consider moving there. Lots of Kansans would say the same thing about Boston, New York, Wash DC, and a host of other large, congested, and woefully stressful metros.

Now that that's settled, so what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas