Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 08:45 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Direct, no. You really can't even get a direct from KC or Wichita, they will have a layover in Chicago or STL. Garden City is the best bet now that Hays lost the Chicago flights. GCK flies to DFW as is currently overhauling the entire airport. The airport is funded by federal subsidies as well as taxpayer money from Garden City and Dodge City.

Great Lakes hasn't serviced Dodge, Garden, Hays, Liberal, Great Bend, or Salina for several years now. The Wikipedia information cited above is incorrect.
You can fly nonstop to the east coast from KC... I’ve flown nonstop to Philly and NYC (LGA) from Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 04:30 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I flew to Dodge City in one of those Great Lakes Airlines "buzz-bomb" airplanes from Denver to Dodge City back in 2015 for a job interview there in Dodge. It was small but I felt mostly confident in the end result being good. Took a small jet from Spokane to Denver and then got on the buzzbomb (propeller) plane to go to Dodge City from there. Wasn't scary and I feel good about the trip overall.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:25 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I flew to Dodge City in one of those Great Lakes Airlines "buzz-bomb" airplanes from Denver to Dodge City back in 2015 for a job interview there in Dodge. It was small but I felt mostly confident in the end result being good. Took a small jet from Spokane to Denver and then got on the buzzbomb (propeller) plane to go to Dodge City from there. Wasn't scary and I feel good about the trip overall.
I flew back & forth between Denver & Hays in 2012. It was through Great Lakes on a Beechcraft Commuter 1900 turboprop. I found out my return flight had been cancelled after I arrived at the Hays Airport. As I was the first to arrive at the airport, I was able to catch the next flight. Not everyone did. Due to the extreme heat, they were not able to load the plane to its full capacity of 19.

I liked the Beechcraft. Every seat, except the middle seat at the very rear, was a window seat. No window shades either, so you got a great view of the scenery as the plane flew low through the air. No lavatory, so you had to make sure you went before the flight.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:57 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I flew back & forth between Denver & Hays in 2012. It was through Great Lakes on a Beechcraft Commuter 1900 turboprop. I found out my return flight had been cancelled after I arrived at the Hays Airport. As I was the first to arrive at the airport, I was able to catch the next flight. Not everyone did. Due to the extreme heat, they were not able to load the plane to its full capacity of 19.

I liked the Beechcraft. Every seat, except the middle seat at the very rear, was a window seat. No window shades either, so you got a great view of the scenery as the plane flew low through the air. No lavatory, so you had to make sure you went before the flight.

Sounds like the plane I flew on. Exactly. And yeah, great scenery was ta be had out that window. I was the only one on on my flight back to DEN ITNL, IIRC. Dodge is not what you'd call a tourist destination, though it does have a lot of old Wild, Wild West history.

Yes, you had to make sure you went to the bathroom ahead of your flight or you're gonna be mighty uncomfortable. Great memories, thanks for your post above, mshultz!

Old 08-02-2021, 10:34 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You can fly nonstop to the east coast from KC... I’ve flown nonstop to Philly and NYC (LGA) from Kansas City.
KC (MCI airport) has or will soon have nonstops to the following east coast metros:

Boston (JetBlue)
NYC -- LGA (AA) and JFK (JetBlue) and EWR (UA)
Philly (AA)
Baltimore (Southwest)
DC -- DCA (AA) and IAD (UA)
Charlotte (AA)
Atlanta (DL)
Orlando (Southwest)
Miami (AA)

Lots of other inland cities and west coast also.

Supposedly, KC is high on the list for London LHR on BA -- but they are waiting for the new terminal to open.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:38 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Salina has service to Chicago (ORD) and Denver, with one flight a day to each place via United Express (Sky West). I'm not sure if that counts as "Western" Kansas or not. Apparently, ridership is growing steadily there. According to the airport authority's website, the airport saw 4,642 emplanements in July 2021, a 30-year record. I had read that Sky West was supposed to be starting a flight from Salina to Houston (IAH), but there's nothing about it on the United website that I can see.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:27 PM

15 posts, read 30,915 times
I believe Salina also flies daily to Denver and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas