Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:59 PM

23 posts, read 138,426 times

Advertisements

I would like to purchase a camping lot within a couple hours of Kansas City and would like to hear experiences from those who have been to some of the many available. I have heard decent reports about Linn Valley, good reports about Sugar Valley/Hidden Valley, bad reports about Tanglewood, but what else is out there? What about the ones in Missouri? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:16 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
I'm not a camper, but I'm pretty sure that most of the recreation is going to be in Missouri vs Kansas. There is just a lot more lakes, rivers, resorts etc. The Lake of the Ozarks is only a couple of hours away and they have a "KC" side and a "StL" side. Also Truman Lake, Stockton and others. Plus MO is where all the resort hotels, golf courses, outlet malls, caves, Bagnell Dam etc. You know, outdoors tourist type areas. But they also have the more quiet areas that have not been developed with condos and outlet malls.

We mostly went to "the Lake" Ozarks, that's where all the malls, gocart tracks, mini golf and resort hotels like Tan-Tar-A and of course Party Cove. But I have camped at Oceola which is more of a nature type camping area (not commercially developed) and it's close to KC.

MO also has lots of very good river rafting areas and there are a lot of places in MO where you can rent speed boats etc.

There are massive traffic jams to MO lakes and other resort areas on Friday evenings along I-70, US-50 and US-71 and then back to the KC area on Sundays, much of that traffic is Kansas people. Not so much the case going to Kansas lakes, but we used to go out to the Lawrence area a lot where they have some of the best mountain biking around Clinton Lake which is a real nice area.

Anyway, so I would post this in the Missouri or KC forums, you will get more responses, although if you just want a place to camp, it might be cheaper to look at Kansas. I don't know. Also, you might look at closer areas like Smithville, but I'm sure being that close to the metro will make it very expensive, if not impossible to buy something.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-12-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 30,259 times
One of my favorites is a bit of a drive from KC. Wilson lake, west of Salina, is a wonderful place. It is seldom crowded, surrounded by hiking trails. The fishing is great and the water is the clearest in Kansas. That said, camping is pretty much all that lake offers. The surrounding towns offer little to fill any time not spent outdoors. That said, Garden of Eden is a a must see if in the area. It is a weird place, but the roots of Populism in Kansas are interesting.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of the recreation is going to be in Missouri vs Kansas.
Never gets old, eh?

For the OP: It depends on what you like in a lake/campground. I like Wilson Lake as well, but it's a bit of a drive from KC and as bkwentz said, there isn't much else around it, although if you're out that way, you should be able to say you've seen the Garden of Eden and the largest ball of twine!

But KS has quite a few really nice lakes and camping areas and most are not nearly as overrun and crowded as you will find in more "popular" regional spots. Lots of good fishing if you are into that. Wilson lake is also a very popular spot for hang gliding from what I understand. The high bluffs and cliffs over the water make it ideal.

This might be helpful Kansas Outdoor Guide - 2009

As might Kansas Travel and Tourism Division, Kansas Department of Commerce for more general info.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:06 PM

27 posts, read 154,755 times
Quote:
I'm not a camper, but I'm pretty sure that most of the recreation is going to be in Missouri vs Kansas. There is just a lot more lakes, rivers, resorts etc. The Lake of the Ozarks is only a couple of hours away and they have a "KC" side and a "StL" side. Also Truman Lake, Stockton and others. Plus MO is where all the resort hotels, golf courses, outlet malls, caves, Bagnell Dam etc. You know, outdoors tourist type areas. But they also have the more quiet areas that have not been developed with condos and outlet malls.

We mostly went to "the Lake" Ozarks, that's where all the malls, gocart tracks, mini golf and resort hotels like Tan-Tar-A and of course Party Cove. But I have camped at Oceola which is more of a nature type camping area (not commercially developed) and it's close to KC.

MO also has lots of very good river rafting areas and there are a lot of places in MO where you can rent speed boats etc.

There are massive traffic jams to MO lakes and other resort areas on Friday evenings along I-70, US-50 and US-71 and then back to the KC area on Sundays, much of that traffic is Kansas people. Not so much the case going to Kansas lakes, but we used to go out to the Lawrence area a lot where they have some of the best mountain biking around Clinton Lake which is a real nice area.

Anyway, so I would post this in the Missouri or KC forums, you will get more responses, although if you just want a place to camp, it might be cheaper to look at Kansas. I don't know. Also, you might look at closer areas like Smithville, but I'm sure being that close to the metro will make it very expensive, if not impossible to buy something.
If you listened to this guy, the entire nation would be trying to move to MO bc of how amazing and spectacular it is. This kcmo knows all and will let you know that MO is superior to all. If you want kcmo to divulge missourah knowledge, ask a question about KS on the KS forum, that's all it takes.

All kidding aside, MO has better and more lakes to choose from. Perry Lake and Wilson Lake are my favorite lakes in KS. Check out all the different terrain around Wilson on google earth. Wilson is in a desolate spot in the state but if you can drive to Hays or Salina (preferably Hays) then you aren't more than an hour to other entertainment opportunities.

The best mountain biking is not around Clinton Lake. Clinton Lake's mountain biking trails kind of suck. The Lawrence Kaw River Trail is a great 9 mile loop.

SE KS has some cool smaller lakes and strip mine ponds/lakes that are cool.

I guess it depends on what exactly you are looking for. If you want cheesy touristy ecoli filled "vacation" spots, look in MO. If you want a nice lake, peace and quiet, look in MO and KS.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Missouri is one of the top tourism states in the Midwest and ranks pretty high nationally. One of the reasons for that is the lakes, rivers, camping areas etc (in addition to having two of the Midwest’s largest metropolitan areas and a nationanl tourist trap...Branson). It is what it is and by the looks of all the Kansas license plates that are all over Missouri on weekends from Branson to the Lake of the Ozarks, a lot of KS people agree. Somebody asked and I simply made it clear that you will find a lot more recreational opportunities in Missouri than Kansas. But I did mention there are places in Kansas too, just not near as many.

BTW, I know about the river trail in L, it’s one of my favorite trails. It’s not really a single track mountain biking trail though. It’s fun and family friendly though. Actually some of the best single track in the Midwest is in Blue Springs, MO at Landau Park. But that river trail in Lawrence is sweet because it’s not too technical.

Sorry you guys take my Missouri Bias so personally. You are right, I like MO better than KS, so I promote it. In most cases, I think the state offers more. I never put down the state like you did with MO though. Like I said. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocifus View Post
If you listened to this guy, the entire nation would be trying to move to MO bc of how amazing and spectacular it is. This kcmo knows all and will let you know that MO is superior to all. If you want kcmo to divulge missourah knowledge, ask a question about KS on the KS forum, that's all it takes.

All kidding aside, MO has better and more lakes to choose from. Perry Lake and Wilson Lake are my favorite lakes in KS. Check out all the different terrain around Wilson on google earth. Wilson is in a desolate spot in the state but if you can drive to Hays or Salina (preferably Hays) then you aren't more than an hour to other entertainment opportunities.

The best mountain biking is not around Clinton Lake. Clinton Lake's mountain biking trails kind of suck. The Lawrence Kaw River Trail is a great 9 mile loop.

SE KS has some cool smaller lakes and strip mine ponds/lakes that are cool.

I guess it depends on what exactly you are looking for. If you want cheesy touristy ecoli filled "vacation" spots, look in MO. If you want a nice lake, peace and quiet, look in MO and KS.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-13-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 03:30 PM

27 posts, read 154,755 times
Quote:
Missouri is one of the top tourism states in the Midwest and ranks pretty high nationally. One of the reasons for that is the lakes, rivers, camping areas etc (in addition to having two of the Midwest’s largest metropolitan areas and a nationanl tourist trap...Branson). It is what it is and by the looks of all the Kansas license plates that are all over Missouri on weekends from Branson to the Lake of the Ozarks, a lot of KS people agree. Somebody asked and I simply made it clear that you will find a lot more recreational opportunities in Missouri than Kansas. But I did mention there are places in Kansas too, just not near as many.

BTW, I know about the river trail in L, it’s one of my favorite trails. It’s not really a single track mountain biking trail though. It’s fun and family friendly though. Actually some of the best single track in the Midwest is in Blue Springs, MO at Landau Park. But that river trail in Lawrence is sweet because it’s not too technical.

Sorry you guys take my Missouri Bias so personally. You are right, I like MO better than KS, so I promote it. In most cases, I think the state offers more. I never put down the state like you did with MO though. Like I said. It is what it is.
Landau is very cool. Definitely the place to go in the metro for mtn biking. Perry Lake and parts of Shawnee Mission Park have comparable trails. Clinton Lake trails are okay but often busy and too rocky for my personal taste. If you are ever in the mood for a long easy to ride trail, look at the Prairie Star Trail, Shawnee Mission Park or the levee in Lawrence.

I don't take your MO bias personally, I just find it funny and a little silly that you troll the KS message board for an opportunity to say "hey I just read that you had a question about KS, well never mind that bc MO is much better". When you get down to it, most of the Ozarks basically suck. Haha Tonka and the Taum Sauk/Current River areas are cool but as a whole it's KS with more trees.

I've lived in either KS or MO most of my life and have a pretty good understanding of each state's respective strengths and weaknesses. It has always bothered me when a person from either state talks about how much better one is than the other. I just find your entire approach and general arrogance a little off putting and I thought I'd call you out last night.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuy View Post
What about the ones in Missouri? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
He asked, otherwise, I would not have posted. I rarely post in the Kansas forums unless the thread has something to do with KCMO or Missouri. Go to the KC forums and look at how often KS people try to persuade people that specifically ask about MO or urban KCMO that KS is the better option.

The OP was looking for outdoors and even specifically asked about MO and it would be silly to not tell him about what MO offers, which is what was happening.

Anyway...

BTW, SMP park is great. Best park in KC area. Best disc golf course, nice dog park, very nice paved bike trails and decent single track.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
The OP comes on here looking for info, and lands feet first into a re-enactment of the Border War. However, I think what he's looking for are privately developed lakes (vs. Corps of Engineers) where you can buy a lot to either camp on, build a house, move a mobile home on, etc.

I know virtually nothing about any of their reputations, but in Missouri there is Crystal Lakes, which is NE of Excelsior Springs and also Lake Viking, which is near Gallatin. I do know one thing to investigate before making a purchase is the financial condition of the homeowner's association and what maintenance they are responsible for - roads, sewers, dam, etc. etc. and the physical condition of those amenities.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:07 AM

23 posts, read 138,426 times
Whoa, didn't mean to start another border war! Thanks for the info, I will definately check out Wilson Lake. I am looking for both somewhere to camp and possibly somewhere to eventually buy a lot, so keep the suggestions coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas