Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 01:38 PM

389 posts, read 1,657,029 times

Advertisements

And I mean the part west of Land Between the lakes to Paducah.whats Murray,Mayfield and Benton Like?I want to hear from the folks who live their or have some exp. in that area.feel free to share also how do feel about the rest of KY pro's or con's .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 03:22 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dee View Post
And I mean the part west of Land Between the lakes to Paducah.whats Murray,Mayfield and Benton Like?I want to hear from the folks who live their or have some exp. in that area.feel free to share also how do feel about the rest of KY pro's or con's .
The area is very remote but absolutely gorgeous. I think that area is much more serene and beautiful than the Great Lakes, for example. As a downside, there is not much in that area in the way of culture, shopping, and arts. But if you are an outdoors person, it is great. Murray is a quaint little college town. It is no Bloomington, IN or Madison, WI, but for KY it is not bad.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:35 PM

20 posts, read 95,891 times
I was wondering about the same area...I'm interested in historic property there, but wondered if it was the type of place where a B&B could become well established....any ideas?

Old 06-21-2007, 04:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,750 times
First there are ARTS in the area, we have the Paducah Artist Relocation Program and have the National Quilt Show (don't laugh some are truly works of art) WE have an Art guild in nearly every community and many art festivals and art show. There is also the Carson center for the Arts which host many shows and concerts, recently we had BB King, Ladysmith Black Mombasa, Russian Ballet, and Stomp ... WE have tons of out doors stuff, many great places to eat and lots of stuff to do.

Skylar there is a B&B forsale in the art district of Paducah called the Fisher Mansion

Shopping is plentiful in Paducah and are also many small mom and pop stores through the area. Everything here is spread out over the entire Jackson Purchase area, but Paducah along Hinkleville Rd and the South side is were you'll find the most shopping. You'll find nearly every store that you'd find in a much larger town to do the fact it is the commerce/shopping area for Western KY, Southern IL, East MO and Northwest TN.

If ya'll need more info or links let me know, I'll be back on later I have to go to a art show ... you know culture and all and there is the the fair going in Murray.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
First there are ARTS in the area, we have the Paducah Artist Relocation Program and have the National Quilt Show (don't laugh some are truly works of art) WE have an Art guild in nearly every community and many art festivals and art show. There is also the Carson center for the Arts which host many shows and concerts, recently we had BB King, Ladysmith Black Mombasa, Russian Ballet, and Stomp ... WE have tons of out doors stuff, many great places to eat and lots of stuff to do.

Skylar there is a B&B forsale in the art district of Paducah called the Fisher Mansion

Shopping is plentiful in Paducah and are also many small mom and pop stores through the area. Everything here is spread out over the entire Jackson Purchase area, but Paducah along Hinkleville Rd and the South side is were you'll find the most shopping. You'll find nearly every store that you'd find in a much larger town to do the fact it is the commerce/shopping area for Western KY, Southern IL, East MO and Northwest TN.

If ya'll need more info or links let me know, I'll be back on later I have to go to a art show ... you know culture and all and there is the the fair going in Murray.

Paducah is actually nationally known as a very small, historic artist town. Still, the amount of cultural activity there pales in comparison to even a mid sized city. I did not mean to imply there are no arts there, but it is not the main agenda in the Greater Paducah and Purchase region.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Paducah is actually nationally known as a very small, historic artist town. Still, the amount of cultural activity there pales in comparison to even a mid sized city. I did not mean to imply there are no arts there, but it is not the main agenda in the Greater Paducah and Purchase region.
Point taken, didn't mean to come off as snippy.

However this area, if some of the so called leader would get off their buttocks could be a real artsy, touristy area.

We tend to get a little moody down here, we often feel as if we are not part of Kentucky and in what we call Political Siberia. WE see funding for this and that in the Golden Triangle and we get a little new bridge over a creek that took 3 years to build. People just drove around it and through the creek.

They are building a new 4 lane between Mayfield and Murray, but it's not going to do much until they build wider bridges across the LBL.

I'm off topic ... back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:33 PM

Any thoughts on Fulton? and Hickman whats it like living on the border of Tenn?and South Fulton?Whats in Hickman to do and see?And Whats Hazel like I heard they got a lot of shops.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dee View Post
Any thoughts on Fulton? and Hickman whats it like living on the border of Tenn?and South Fulton?Whats in Hickman to do and see?And Whats Hazel like I heard they got a lot of shops.
Fulton isn't bad, it's a very small town and you get what very small towns have to offer ... very little LOL. It's near Reelfoot Lake which I love, it's a Cypress Lake/Swamp there are a few things to do in Fulton but over all your schedule will be fairly open.
Hickman ... I'll give it a 5/10 not the best place to be, not the worst. It's a river town on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi kinda out on the middle of no where. Not much going on in Hickman.
South Fulton is in TN, it's basically Fulton too, there so close there the same town.
Hazel in in Calloway Co south of Murray, it's a Antique shop town, not really much else. Not a bad little town, near enough to Murray. Other than a weekend trip to look at the antiques there I only drive through it. I never buy, they cater to the tourist so prices are high.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 AM

everyone thanks for your responses its interesting to learn about those places.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:06 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,931 times
I went to college at Murray State University in Murray. I had a bit of a culture shock coming from a larger area to Murray, but I quickly adjusted. Living there while in college was a blast, but I was ready to get out of the area upon graduation. There isn't a lot there for younger people. The residents of the area are nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky