Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 11,735 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 plus 2 dogs DESPERATELY searching for a home in Western Kentucky to rent! We are in need of good schools that will challenge our girls academically. We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom home with a garage and fenced backyard. We have been ALL over and have not been lucky enough to find anything. If there is ANYthing anyone can think of to be of help, we would SOOO appreciate the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannkelly View Post
We are a family of 4 plus 2 dogs DESPERATELY searching for a home in Western Kentucky to rent! We are in need of good schools that will challenge our girls academically. We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom home with a garage and fenced backyard. We have been ALL over and have not been lucky enough to find anything. If there is ANYthing anyone can think of to be of help, we would SOOO appreciate the help!!
Do you mean Western KY in general or do you have specific communities or counties in mind?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Honestly, we have driven ALL over the entire western end of Kentucky. We have family in the Princeton area, but can look within an hour or two of them. We'd like to be a bit in the country, for a nice change of pace and are hoping to find something close to 1600 sq. ft or more. School wise I have heard great things about Marion and have seen that Murray is quite good too. Sorry if this doesn't help, but you can only get so far on the internet and a couple 3 day trips...:-)

Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
I know you mentioned "western KY", but Louisville is a great place to raise a family. There are more options here in homes, apts, and etc. than the smaller towns and cities. We also have special schools for children that have disabilities than a smaller city or town.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 PM

When I mentioned schools to challenge, I was meaning that my girls are taking classes 1-2 years further advanced than their age level...I just didn't want to seem like I was...bragging or anything like that..How are the winters near Louisville? We are soooo ready to stay away from months full of snow!!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM

Any place in Western Kentucky will offer a nice stock of new and older housing, safe neighborhoods, town living, rural living, interstate access, off-the-beaten-path location, whatever it is you're looking for. Just understand that Evansville, IN is still a pretty small place and the largest nearby metropolitan areas are Louisville, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Lexington, Nashville, and Memphis, none of which hold a candle to the everything that Chicagoland offers. On the bright side, Chicagoland is a six hour drive.

I'm thinking of safe, clean, modern communities (or at least those being close-by) with the arts, cultural, shopping, and entertainment amenities of comfortable small cities yet with access to great schools. For such communities with some of Kentucky's highest-ranked public schools, look into the following locations:
  • Calloway County: Murray and Calloway Co. public school systems; close to Paducah and Land Between the Lakes, 2-2.5 hours from Nashville and Memphis.
  • McLean County: SW of Owensboro, NE of Madisonville, close to Evansville; extremely rural, population about 9,000.
  • Daviess County: Daviess Co. P.S., Owensboro Catholic schools; Owensboro is a self-contained city really trying to improve itself and its image, still close to Evansville.
  • Hancock County: E/NE of Owensboro, 90 minutes from Louisville; extremely rural, population about 9,000.
  • Warren County: Warren Co. P.S., Bowling Green area private schools; home to Western Kentucky University, one hour from Nashville.
  • Webster County: Slaughters Elementary School, a public school, is an excellent tiny school for preschool through 8th grade, but Webster Co. High isn't much. WC is an exception on this list in that you feel like you're stepping back into the 1980s in that place (I should know, I'm originally from there).

Other option:
  • Christian County: University Heights High School - known to be very good. Stay away from Hopkinsville and Christian County P.S. systems; one hour from Nashville, easy proximity to Land Between the Lakes.

Cumulatively, Kentucky basically sucks in the public school category and for the most part will not hold a candle to what Naperville, Evanston and Schaumburg, for example, probably excel in. That's why you want to be very discriminatory in the communities you choose and not just move to some place that makes you "feel good." If you are moving from Chicagoland for a change of pace, I guarantee that you'll like any of these places.

EDIT: I'm leaving Kentucky, in part, because I hate the unpredictability of the winters here. Just cold enough to snow but just warm enough to have low-lying clouds with bitterly cold rain. Also, at least Illinois is well-equipped to handle even the slightest winter precip.; you will go all LMAO every time we get 1/2" of snow and every rural school system and some community colleges cancel classes. We should be better equipped but alas, we're a "poor state."

Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
Quote:
When I mentioned schools to challenge, I was meaning that my girls are taking classes 1-2 years further advanced than their age level...I just didn't want to seem like I was...bragging or anything like that..How are the winters near Louisville? We are soooo ready to stay away from months full of snow!!
Sorry, I thought you meant they had some sort of disability. We have private schools which are more expensive but they gear the students to a higher level of education, or so it was back in the 1970's when I was in school. The public system is something I am not familar with totally since I have no kids. I do know that the public system gears each school by what a child wants to learn, and I am referring the the high schools. If you want to go into the health field there is a public school that teaches them in that direction so they would be prepared for college, from what I heard on the news and from friends who have kids. But there is some sort of application to be filled out to the school you want to go to, I think but like I said I am not familiar with how the public system works nowadays. It was totally different in the 1970's when I was going. And recently, I heard a neighbor of mine is moving since they didn't get the school they wanted for their child.

As far as winters, we never know from year to year how it will be. I was snowed in literally and lost electricity like a few years ago, but that has never happened that I recall. We have had some winters with hardly any snow. If you don't want any snow, go south of Kentucky. Then again, those states that never get snow like Georgia were even hit in the big snow that knocked electricity out for a week (for me) and other places in KY like 2 weeks or more.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Quote:
Dann, my stepdaughter and family are headed to Hawaii for 3 years. Hubby is in the Army and will be stationed at Schofield. They have a 4 BR 2 bath house on 14 acres to rent for 3 years in Trigg County, about 10 miles south of Cadiz. Just had a 3 bay garage built. Have to talk to him on that one. One bed and one bath are in the basement which is set up as an apartment. One of his Army buddies rented the basement for a while and got one of those invisible fences for his dog. She never got outside of that area...except when he forgot about her collar and wanted to take her for a ride in the truck! WOW!!! Forgot to mention the HUGE above ground pool in the back yard! Guess I should tell you the rent is $725, plus utilities (all electric)
You don't say how old your girls are but here's the school report cards for the Trigg County School System. Step daughter and family moved here from S. Carolina 3 years ago. Granddaughter is 15 and grandson is 8. They started noticing the improvement in their school work in the first 6 weeks over their old schools.
Message me if you want any more information.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Dann, my stepdaughter and family are headed to Hawaii for 3 years. Hubby is in the Army and will be stationed at Schofield. They have a 4 BR 2 bath house on 14 acres to rent for 3 years in Trigg County, about 10 miles south of Cadiz. Just had a 3 bay garage built. Have to talk to him on that one. One bed and one bath are in the basement which is set up as an apartment. One of his Army buddies rented the basement for a while and got one of those invisible fences for his dog. She never got outside of that area...except when he forgot about her collar and wanted to take her for a ride in the truck! WOW!!! Forgot to mention the HUGE above ground pool in the back yard! Guess I should tell you the rent is $725, plus utilities (all electric)
You don't say how old your girls are but here's the school report cards for the Trigg County School System. Step daughter and family moved here from S. Carolina 3 years ago. Granddaughter is 15 and grandson is 8. They started noticing the improvement in their school work in the first 6 weeks over their old schools.
Message me if you want any more information.
If you could post the links for the Trigg County Schools report cards, that would be great. Otherwise, the OP should be able to go to Kentucky Department of Education or do a search at Lexington, KY local news provided by the Lexington Herald-Leader newspaper | Kentucky.com (by Lexington Herald-Leader) and find those reports. Annnnddd...Trigg Co. is in a great location very near LBL, close to Clarksville and Nashville and close to University Heights, the private H.S. in neighboring Christian Co.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Thanks, Ears. I had that copied to put in my post but my CRS disease (Can't Remember Sh*t) must have kicked in.
School Report Card Archives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky