Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
MnS MnS started this thread

6 posts, read 23,167 times

Advertisements

Hi~! I really need some input from those that live in and around the area of Ft. Knox.. My husband and I will be traveling to Ft. Knox to see our youngest son graduate from basic training the day after Thanksgiving...

We will be traveling with a 5 pound Maltipoo who absolutely can not be left behind due to seperation anxiety on both parts; his and ours.. Please be nice, I know he is only a "pet" to some; but to us, he is our 5th child, the one we never had together and he is my husbands "angel" as this lil guy kept my hubby from going insane after a terrible car accident that left him temporarily disabled and unable to move from a recliner for several months... My hubby is being re-habilitated to become a chef - totally awesome -- but our NEED is to find accommodations that are local and are "pet friendly".

We are hoping to be able to drive out there. We are coming from Oklahoma and have never been in Kentucky and have no idea as to what is available, where we should stay, which city is closer to the base ect...

With my husband preparing to become a chef, we are pretty food oriented too and would love to "taste" some of the local cuisane (sp) too. I have received a recipe and we are looking forward to creating and tasting the Burgoo..... Any suggestions since we will be there on a holiday would be much appreciated.

Additionally -- if anyone is familar with the base and the graduation ceremony I would love to hear from them... I have alot of questions regarding if the ceremony will be outside or inside, how long the ceremony will last, will we be able to come on base prior to the ceremony to see our son or ????

I need to make arrangements as much in advance as possible, but I am not having any luck online....

Thank you, in advance, for any insight and suggestions...

MnS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,187 times
Default Update please

Hello. I noticed your posting and was wondering if oyu could le tme know about the graduation ceremony. I am going to Fort Knox September 19th to see my fiance graduate. How long is the graduation ceremony? How long after the ceremony can he leave? What was the appoximate time that you can get back on the road. I have to be home by the morning for a wedding and I was curios of how much time I had between the cermony and SXaturday morning.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:52 PM

45 posts, read 213,992 times
the closest city is radcliff. Its right next to Ft knox( Its only seperated by a fence and gate) there are plenty of hotels there i don't know about pets though but they do give military discounts so you can have your son get it for you. Its not a bad town just not much to do. I've lived there for 19 years. Its very sipmle to get around it just one road with is 31w ( Dixe Hwy)

Old 09-03-2008, 09:22 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,684 times
There is a few motels near the Military Base, give them a call and see if any allow pets.

Lodging & Accommodations in the Radcliff/Ft. Knox Tourism Area (Kentucky) (http://www.radclifftourism.org/lodging.shtml - broken link)

Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 AM

63 posts, read 313,588 times
Elizabethtown, which is a few miles south of Radcliff down 31W, has a better selection of restaurants and hotels. There are new Holiday Inn Express hotels in both Radcliff and Elizabethtown, which you might want to contact re pets.

There is a much better choice of restaurants in Elizabethtown. On the north side of E'town (closer to Ft. Knox) are several franchise places such as Red Lobster, Raffertys, O'Charleys, etc. A very nice family owned restaurant on that side of town is Fergys, which I recommend highly for food quality.

On the other side of E'town near exit 94/I65 are Cracker Barrel, Texas Roadhouse, Shoneys and Texas Outlaws (a locally owned and operated barbeque place which is really good).

For a different dining experience and a chance to see a touch of genuine Kentucky atmosphere, travel to Glendale and eat at the Whistle Stop Restaurant. Glendale is a small town located at the exit 86 off I65. It is full of small antique shops and has a very relaxed atmosphere. Good old fashion style food at Whistle Stop. If you have the time, try it. It is easy to find and really not far from Ft. Knox.

Welcome to Kentucky and enjoy your stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky