Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:06 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Wall Photos | Facebook

Kentucky Wildcats: College Basketball Champions Get Booed in Cincinnati | Bleacher Report

If the Kansas Jayhawks had been honored at KC Royals game or the Illinois Illini had been honored at a STL Cardinals game would the teams have also been booed? Or is this just a Cincinnati/ Ohio thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Well, they kind of stepped into enemy territory. Ohio. Ohio State lost in the Final Four. Cincinnati and Xavier didn't make it past the Sweet 16.

Yeah, I'd say they got booed by a few fans, alright. "Few" is the operative word b/c no one seems to be caring about the Reds this year. Even here in California, I catch glimpses of the stands at GABP during TV coverage and I'm thinking of a KC Royals game: no energy.

I guess it's newsworthy only b/c Reds country also includes much of Kentucky east of I-65.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:25 PM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Shame on them - shows a definite lack of Class.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Shame on them - shows a definite lack of Class.
Door swings both ways.

I've never encountered a more obnoxious and arrogant group of sports fans anywhere in the United States, regardless of level, division or sport, than those of University of Kentucky Wildcat basketball. I suppose Philadelphia Eagles fans would give a run for the money.

I'm not talking all fans obviously; in fact, some of my closest friends and dearest family members are die-hard UK fans and they're great people. But the events early this month in Lexington actually made me laugh at my own home state.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Door swings both ways.

I've never encountered a more obnoxious and arrogant group of sports fans anywhere in the United States, regardless of level, division or sport, than those of University of Kentucky Wildcat basketball. I suppose Philadelphia Eagles fans would give a run for the money.

I'm not talking all fans obviously; in fact, some of my closest friends and dearest family members are die-hard UK fans and they're great people. But the events early this month in Lexington actually made me laugh at my own home state.
I am proud to be a University of Kentucky Alumnus! I am damn proud of my school, and you are welcome to call us obnoxious, arrogant, or any term you so choose, but for those of us who are part of the Big Blue Nation, we know you are mistaken. We know our basketball and we know when we stink, and we know when we are great. We also know our competition.

I am sorry that you had such a poor experience living in Kentucky. You are a rare bird to find so many things bad in comparision to all the grand things about this commonwealth and her people.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
I find louisville fans to be equally obnoxious.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I am a U of L fan for the record, but I am backing UK fans on this one based on my experience. I have never experienced such vile hatred anywhere as I have being a Kentuckian in Ohio. They feel that they must remind you 24/7 that Ohio is so much better than Kentucky. Drive with a KY plate up there and you will get ran over, tail gated, and even flicked off. They are obsessed with the fact that most growth in the Cincinnati metro area is on the Kentucky side. The Reds honored UK's team because they recognize the only population growth in Red's Country is in Kentucky. The OH side of Cincy is stagnant (surrounding counties growing due to Hamilton Co's huge losses), Dayton, Springfield etc are losing population.

As a said in the beginning post, this would be like the Kansas Jayhawks being booed in KC (a metro area that is half in Kansas), the Illinois Illini being booed in STL, etc. Would that happen? I doubt it. STL and KC are more secure than Cincinnati people are

Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Jealously, end of story...

Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Jealously, end of story...
Turf wars, end of story...

A Kentucky team on Ohio soil. Don't tell me if the GABP were in Newport that our side of the river wouldn't boo the Ohio State Buckeyes if they won the championship. Just sayin'.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:46 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
kentucky fans don't give two craps about ohio state, so no, I don't think they would boo them. and judging a whole fan base based on the actions of a few 19 year old drunken college students is a bit of a stretch. people hate perennial winners in any sport, period. no one wins more than kentucky, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: