Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 4,855 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I need help finding a rental in Bowling Green. I got offered a sales job for $9 an hour plus commission. I know this is not enough to live off of, however, I have a Master's in Education and I am currently still looking for teaching positions. I thought rent would be cheap in this town considering it is primarily a college town. One apartment I found online said it was $500. I called the complex and they said that the price was per bedroom! I never paid this much when I was in college. How can college students afford this much rent! Does anyone know of any apartments in the $500 range? I am really surprised at the rent prices - I thought apartments in the South were cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,855 times
I've narrowed my search down to 2 apartment complexes - Royal Arms or Cameron Park. Does anyone know anything of these 2 properties? Which is in a safer area?

Royal Arms has a one bedroom for 530 and a nice balcony. The only problem is it feels a lot smaller than 750 square feet and it has that crappy old brown carpeting and cabinets. Another aspect is that it is located right next to a funeral home which kinda freaks me out.

Cameron Park has a 2bedroom for $539 and nicer laminate carpeting (cat always ruins the carpeting every lease). The only problem is they don't pay for any utilities and don't have a balcony (not sure I can live with no outdoor space).

Any suggestions on either of the apartments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 12:05 PM

55 posts, read 127,158 times
Kentucky in general is less hooked into the web for this stuff as other places. My suggestion is skip Craigslist and go to the local newspaper's online classifieds, or the college newspaper. Or find a weekly rental and look around in person at cafe bulletin boards. Other small towns in KY have places in the under $500 range, but BG is a bit better than most. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,887 times
Try Ashton Parc Apartments. Mall traffic is heavy but they are no very expensive.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,818 times
I really hate to tell you this, but Bowling Green is NOT a cheap place to rent. I have lived here my entire life, and that is one of the main things I hear people complain about. You would think with it being a college town and also not being a huge city it would be. But it is becoming a very popular place in KY to live. It is going to be really hard to make it on 9 dollars and hour, but since your an education degree you may consider doing substitute teaching. They are always needing people to sub. My husband is almost a teacher (graduates in may) and we may have to relocate because it is very hard to get a teaching job in BG. Or at least for people straight out of college. Not sure your situation but some places you may want to look....
If you just need an apartment I would AVOID any area around the mall or even across the st from the mall. Horrible crime and kind of ghetto. I lived over there in two different places when I first got married. My brother did as well and they are cheap, but omg the crime and people are crazy! You may check any of the Chandler real-estate apartment's. Some of his area's are bad (like behind the mall) but others are great. He is kind of expensive on rent though. You may consider the North end of town. Some of them are okay, and the property up there is a lot cheaper. So like the ones across from Bristow school. Don't know the name, but they are newer ones and my friend said they are really quiet and cheap.
If your thinking of renting a house there are quite a few for rent off of 31-W on the by pass. All the little roads down through there. They are not glamorous but it's not a terrible area to live. Most rental homes here are going to start out at 475 and go up. If you live on the South side of town (Plano rd. area) it's the best area I think in town. I grew up over there. Some of it is ritzy but some is just middle class. Try the Bodacker (sp?) apartment's over there. They are duplex's but are very safe and quiet and CHEAP. A lot of the real estate business's in town will have stuff for rent as well. So you may call around or get on their website. Other than that Craig's List and just driving around. Good luck! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky