Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 06:37 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times

Advertisements

Statistically, the state is not growing. Less than 1%, and is not measurable growth. But why is the population not growing with millions of illegals entering the U.S.? Is there state to state migration that is offsetting these numbers?

http://ksdc.louisville.edu//wp-conte..._totalpop.xlsx

Surely the state economic development has some research on this.

In 2020, 4,506,000 and two years later in 2022, 4,512,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 06:49 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
You won't hear me complaining about a small or negligible growth in population. Fast growth more often than not means higher crime, homelessness, more illegals and infrastructure struggling to keep pace. None of this at least to me is desirable.

KY is off the radar of many people looking to move. Retirees overall won't consider it mostly because of the state income tax and death tax.
There aren't a lot of jobs for illegals except the very basic ones like restaurant help and some construction and those are limited.

Probably and perhaps substantially, and west coasters especially still like to stereotype the state as if it's just like it was in the 1950s. Many are ignorant and still think the majority live in Appalachia with no running water or electricity, and no internet LOL.

Tennessee used to suffer from the same ailments but eliminating the state income tax turned that all around. Seriously, that's all some people consider. Look at the growth in Florida, Texas, Tennessee and Nevada. They all have 2 things in common, no income tax and mostly mild winters.

Last edited by marino760; 11-12-2023 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-13-2023, 05:19 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
when you’re a KY native, one of the things you don’t realize about KY until you move away is how awful the weather is. Grey and cloudy and wet a lot. Weather is even better in Maryland.

Last edited by flashfearless; 11-13-2023 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 11-13-2023, 09:58 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Not a lot of job growth to attract people there.

The state has 2 larger metro areas with Louisville & Lexington. But Louisville's economy is pretty flat, and Lexington's is not much better.

The metro suburbs of Cincinnati could offer some growth, but the metro of Cincinnati is very slow growing itself, and doesn't provide much growth at all in terms of spillover into Kentucky.

And a big factor too is that the eastern 1/3 of the state is anemic with job growth, has very few high paying jobs or careers, and has a very high poverty rate.

And the state is not really on the national radar as "attractive" to move to, for those looking to start careers and families or those looking to retire.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
There is more economic growth upcoming in E-Town via the Ford electric vehicle battery plants that will be coming online. Of course this will result in eventual commuting patterns developing from Louisville all the way to Bowling Green and points in between.

Old 11-14-2023, 04:06 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

KY is off the radar of many people looking to move. Retirees overall won't consider it mostly because of the state income tax and death tax....
Can you explain how the "death" tax deters the average retiree from relocating to KY ?

Old 11-14-2023, 06:40 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
There is more economic growth upcoming in E-Town via the Ford electric vehicle battery plants that will be coming online. Of course this will result in eventual commuting patterns developing from Louisville all the way to Bowling Green and points in between.
We have more growth than just Blue Oval. We have a new distillery, 5 other factories being built, and rapid commercial growth, including a Publix. Plus, Fort Knox is getting ready to get a troop boost. We are however losing one of our long term factories, which had been one of its last US branches. My local school system is preparing to get an estimated 4,000 student increase within the next 2-3 years. We are blowing up and our housing prices have exploded, to the point locals looking to move homes are finding themselves priced out of the market. My own home appraisal has literally doubled since 2020.

Old 11-14-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Can you explain how the "death" tax deters the average retiree from relocating to KY ?
Maybe inheritance tax is a much better word so I apologize. I've talked about it before but many retirees and others just assume that they won't be able to leave an inheritance to their loved ones without it being highly taxed.
In reality, the inheritance tax doesn't affect most family members but people don't do research. They just know there is an inheritance tax and avoid moving to the state.

Spouses, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, step children aren't affected by it but people assume the worst.

Last edited by marino760; 11-14-2023 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-14-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We have more growth than just Blue Oval. We have a new distillery, 5 other factories being built, and rapid commercial growth, including a Publix. Plus, Fort Knox is getting ready to get a troop boost. We are however losing one of our long term factories, which had been one of its last US branches. My local school system is preparing to get an estimated 4,000 student increase within the next 2-3 years. We are blowing up and our housing prices have exploded, to the point locals looking to move homes are finding themselves priced out of the market. My own home appraisal has literally doubled since 2020.
Not only have home prices doubled but so have rents in many areas. Even in my small town about 60 miles from a major city, my home has more than doubled in value since 2020 and continues to rise. The county is just completing construction on a huge new junior high school as well.

Old 12-05-2023, 06:19 PM

33 posts, read 20,084 times
Corporate Income Tax. And the state has an income tax along with a well above average average age in the general population. Corporations are attracted to a young workforce. And corporations are attracted too low taxes. Along with a lot of new/modern housing for its potential workforce. Places like Texas, Florida , Arizona and California have this in droves. Along with a lot of warm weather year around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky