Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:24 PM

90 posts, read 347,240 times

Advertisements

When reading about Huckabee, back in 1992, making the statement about isolating aids patients, I decided to write a thread on it. I had heart surgery in 1981, and was terrified when reading of so many people contacting HIV-AIDS after having surgery. Since it can be transmitted through blood also, I was very concerned for years after my surgery, and 26 years later, I'm still concerned.
HIV/Aids is a very frightning disease and I hope there will be a cure soon.
When watching a documentary afew weeks ago, on Africa, it was quite disturbing. So many men in a tribe had HIV/AIDS and most had a wife with kids. Some of the wives and kids even had it too. They were just waiting their time to die. It was very heartbreakng to me.
When first coming to Canada a couple years ago, I heard about something that happened here. During around 1889 until 1922, there were lots of Chineese men brought to Canada, to help build the railroad. Many of the men had Leprosy. Not wanting anyone here to get it, they sent the Leprosy patients to an Island where nobody else lived. It had a hospital, and all the necessities the patients would need, and a grave yard, too.
It made me think of all the Illegals and legals that came to the U.S. to settle down over the past years, since the HIV/Aids epidemic. How many brought the deadly disease along with them to add to the high percentage already here? And they will keep continuing to come to our wonderful country, because compared to their home country, it is "Heaven".
I do agree with what Huckabee said in 92, about isolating the patients with HIV/Aids. Just like the Canadians did with the Leprosy patients from 1880's till they all died, on the Island.
It may slow the epidemic down some. And that needs to be done.
So this just may be an answer. How do some of you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 01:48 PM

40 posts, read 109,885 times
I think you are a serious nut case.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:22 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Default Answering Unique Gal

When Huckabee made that statement, the aids epidemic in this country was in its infancy..People panicked, they thought you could get it by kissing or by being close to a victim..It was associated exclusively with homosexuality, and that added a stigma of sin to it..IMO, Huckabee has changed his opinion and wishes he had never joined in the hysterics of that day..Putting these people on an island or separating them from the rest of society is cruel and inhumane..There are probably more cancer patients in this country than aids patients, would you also send them away from society? How about the children with aids, cf,ms or the elderly who suffer from alzheimers or parkinsons disease? You need to do a little search on the research into the causes and transmission of aids and the new meds that relieve and in some cases causes years of remission..

Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,659 times
Look at this data from the National Center for Health Statistics:

NCHS - Publications and Information Products - AIDS Knowledge and Attitudes for 1992

In reality, HIV/AIDS and its various modes of transmission were well-document in 1992. Back then, I was in the 6th grade and I distinctly remember a Channel One special being devoted to HIV. If I as a 12 year-old understood how the disease was transmitted, Huckabee, as 37 year-old, should have too. Especially before shooting his mouth off like he did.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the link to the NCHS..I was already a grandma in 1992 when you were in the sixth grade. I am not into politics, so whatever Huckabee has to say doesn't bother me one way or another..The thing that bothered me about the op was that the poster wants to isolate the aids patients..that was my disagreement...He/she gave me the impression that they were putting an undue stigma on the folks who suffer this devastating disease, by thinking they should be isolated...Of course anything I say in this forum is always jmo

Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
I am not a Huckabee supporter, but neither am I a Huckabee basher, but since the 1996 Democratic Convention, I have become a Republican although I once was a blazing McGovern liberal.

Those of you bashing Huckabee for putting his constituents first, are likely the same people who would have impeached Bush 43 for failing to act on nearly every reliable intelligence and historical fact that Iraq had WMD's in 2003. You are Monday morning quarterbacks. It is so easy to look back 15 or even 4 years and see mistakes in judgement. Stop being so hypocritical calling people hypocrites. In my life, I have learned that the only people who don't make mistakes are those who either are liars or those who never accomplish anything good or bad.

I was just reminded of Andrew Carneige's employee who submitted his resignation to Mr. Carneige after a million dollar mistake. Mr. Carneige would not accept it saying that he had just invested one million dollars in a good employee's education. Between 1945 and 1952, Harry Truman faced the same style of criticism as Mr. Huckabee, but history later proved he was an outstanding President. Same was true of D. D. Eisenhower while in office, but he is now recognized as much better than originally believed.

If we are human, we will learn from our mistakes. Do you condemn Mr. Huckabee and yet warmly open felons following their mistakes?

A simple question. Would you like to work for you?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 PM

Good post, Tom...I remember when so many cried out for Clintons impeachment..He seems to be pretty popular now..When we moved to Ky. I was a registered Independant from Ohio..I , of course had to choose between the two here. They advised me to register as Democrat because this was a democratic district, and blah, blah, blah, so I registered as a Republican..I only vote in the primaries if I think a republican is the best choice, because I am still an independant voter..

Old 12-11-2007, 06:36 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superocean View Post
HAHAHAHAHA!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superocean View Post
Sounds as if I may have "Stepped on someones toes" with my remarks. I was brought up not to call someone a nut when they said or wrote something that I didn't agree with. I would like to know which comment(s) I made on here to make you say I was a nut case.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
When Huckabee made that statement, the aids epidemic in this country was in its infancy..People panicked, they thought you could get it by kissing or by being close to a victim..It was associated exclusively with homosexuality, and that added a stigma of sin to it..IMO, Huckabee has changed his opinion and wishes he had never joined in the hysterics of that day..Putting these people on an island or separating them from the rest of society is cruel and inhumane..There are probably more cancer patients in this country than aids patients, would you also send them away from society? How about the children with aids, cf,ms or the elderly who suffer from alzheimers or parkinsons disease? You need to do a little search on the research into the causes and transmission of aids and the new meds that relieve and in some cases causes years of remission..
Cancer, alzheimers, and parkinsons disease are not contagious where HIV/aids is. I was only stating that I thought Huckabee had an idea. Since he made the comment, the epidemic has got worse all over the world. I feel there should have been more education on HIV/Aids. Obviously, there hasn't been enough, or people just plain don't care. Its very sad there are so many ignorant people out in the world who continue to spread it around. And I"M sure we all have nothing to worry about. There are too many attorneys who would have a ball suing for the people being sent away from society. I honestly don't understand how Canada got away with putting the Leprosy patients on an Island, here. It sure couldn't be done today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky