Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 AM

22 posts, read 68,841 times

Advertisements

Any info on the Burkesville area? Good or bad. Housing & jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 11:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Very small town in a very rural part of the state.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 AM
San

54 posts, read 430,414 times
We live out in the country not far from Burkesville. It's a nice town in a pretty area. It is like a great many towns the good mixed with the bad. The average income of the area by the national average is considered low. However there are also a lot of people that have good jobs, lovely homes and drive good cars. There is a lot of farming in the area and also tourism as Burkesville is near Dale Hollow Lake and the Cumberland river. There is a lot of hunting and fishing tourism. There are at least two construction companies in town and selective logging is big here as it is in a great many parts of Kentucky. There are two hardware/building supply stores in town and a couple of insurance companies. There is a Napa in town as well as a hospital, dentist, doctor's clinics and a good library. There is a small plastics factory and in near by Albany, a Tyson Chicken processing plant. There is also boat manufacturing in Monticello.
As far as crime and drugs are concerned we haven't found them to be any worse than any other part of the country. Of course there is some, but these days I don't think you can find anywhere in the country that is totally drug and crime free. We have found the people to be friendly and helpful and we have totally enjoyed living here.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:35 PM

I would be looking for some type of local truck driving job.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
San

As well as things like construction and logging, you might also look into contacting the Lowe's people in Glasgow and Campbellsville. Those places have big trucks that deliver furniture etc. Another place you might look into is the Gaddy Shamrock quarry that has sites outside of both Burkesville and Albany. They use a lot of truckers for hauling rock and and various other things. Gaddy Shamrock I believe also has oil trucks. There are also companies in the area that have big trucks for delivering ground feed to outlying farms. There is also road construction. If you look around, there might be a number of things I haven't thought of.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Thanks for all the info. My wife and I plan on trying to sell our house here in Illinois this spring. When it sells we are going to "retire" from our jobs here and move to the Burkesville area. I already have a class A CDL so i'm hoping to find a job pretty quick.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM
San

How odd, we are originally from Illinois also. In which part of the State do you live? We lived about 40 miles South of the Quad Cities out in the country near a little town called New Windsor. They have a rodeo there every year. It was a nice quiet place to live but the taxes and roads are a whole lot better down here.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:17 PM

We live in the country near a town called Worden. It is about 40 miles northeast of St. Louis Missouri. My wife is from Canada. I grew up around here but spent most of my summers in the Mayfield Kentucky area. How long have you lived in Kentucky?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 PM
San

We've been here about 4 years. Just absolutely love it. Wouldn't move back to Illinois for anything. I have a sister that still lives up there and we go back several times a year to visit. Every time we go back we are so glad to get back home here. Now my sister and her husband are considering moving down when they get old enough to retire. I sure hope you folks end up as happy around here as we have been.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:27 AM

There is no doubt we will love it there. I spent a fair amount of time in Kentucky and been to the Burkesville area a time or two. We are fed up with the rat race here. Can't wait to leave. Also our e-mail address is roooster333@yahoo.com if you want to write us there. Looking forward to being your neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky