Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times

Advertisements

1. A more urbane environment (by our standards, anyway) such as Downtown Louisville, the Highlands or Old Louisville?

2. A more urban small neighborhood environment like Lexington's Chevy Chase, Louisville's Crescent Hill, or Covington's Mainstrasse or Devou Park areas?

3. A suburb like Wilmore, Nicholasville, Brooks or Crestwood?

4. Out in the boondocks, say in Anderson, Green or Knox County, for example.

Different strokes for different folks. I've lived in environment types #1, #3, and #4, and I have to say the more urbane environment (mind you, as long as it's still safe) is more of my cup of tea. I used to live in Old Louisville. Sadly, the crime has gone up there even since just 2005 when I left, but it has so much charm and beauty to it. It was bustling (mind you once again by Kentucky standards,) yet quaint at the same time.

I don't dislike suburbia, but it can get kind of bland after a while. Campbell County (I've lived there, too) in northern Kentucky is a very safe place and very close to downtown Cincinnati.

No offense to anybody that lives in a small town or the country, but I practically hate that type of environment. I live in Lawrenceburg now and was also raised there; it's NOT my cup of tea, to put it nicely. I won't blatantly trash it, though, since City Data Forum is supposed to be fair and balanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:52 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
You could make a poll for this.

I vote #2. I like older, quiet neighborhoods with mature trees close to downtown, but not downtown. In Louisville, I would live in St Matthews. In Lexington, Chevy Chase or Ashland.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:59 PM

149 posts, read 764,374 times
I'd go for areas with least amount of growth and development. Places where population growth aint changed alot over the past 5 years, where they've got armchair lobby in the hardware/feed store, diners treat you like friend instead of customer and nobody's rushed.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,905 times
I like areas that grow but not too fast.I also like mom and pop diners in small towns.but I like to see more in the way of strip malls in smaller cities.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
We are wanting to get the heck outta Louisville within 10 years and want to be in a small town where people are still not so dang BUSY

Old 02-19-2008, 07:03 AM

Default Chevy Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
You could make a poll for this.

I vote #2. I like older, quiet neighborhoods with mature trees close to downtown, but not downtown. In Louisville, I would live in St Matthews. In Lexington, Chevy Chase or Ashland.
I was in Chevy Chase just yesterday. The area around Woodland Park is very nice, clean, and historic. I also ate at a place called Ramsey's, which is a nice but unpretentious place to eat; you can dress up, or not, come in, and still have a neighborhood feel. There's a cake bakery right next to it, also.

Ashland isn't bad either, but it doesn't have as much "commercial activity" as Chevy Chase. I use "commercial activity" lightly because (not to be derogatory) there just isn't much goin' on in Downtown Lexington and surrounding environs except for a few places to eat.

I'm more impartial to Louisville, anyway. Even if it is a dirtier river city with a strangely charming downtown grit and "hustle and bustle" (by Kentucky standards,) I like it. So, I'd still choose the Highlands, Clifton, Crescent Hill, Brownsboro Road, safe parts of Old Louisville or Germantown (what few there are left), or the East Broadway transition from Downtown to Highlands. Those are all nice areas.

St. Matthews isn't a bad choice, either. Great place, nice people, safe neighborhoods, but it's just a little bit more suburban than what I'm envisioning. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
We are wanting to get the heck outta Louisville within 10 years and want to be in a small town where people are still not so dang BUSY
Louisville has nothing on most major American cities regarding the "BUSY" factor. Try Atlanta, Dallas, Houston (where I'd like to live soon,) or New York.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Cool The old homestead

I'm just now joining in on the thread and I'm presently living up here in the worthless nut state, Ohio.

But I've always told my best half that if I had the money I would love to move to the place of my forefathers, other than Scotland. Its a little hole in the wall on the fart east-end of Kentucky just about at the border of Boyd and Lawrence county. Its called "Boltsfork", and it was settled sometime around "1757". I still have some kin that live in the area but its been a longtime since I was back down there. That part of Kentucky is as close to God as one can ever get.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:37 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Have you ever just watched a tree grow old? Cities and suburbs are a lot the same way. They start out young, willowy, often skinny, and without a lot to offer but promise. They then become pretty additions to landscapes, and not too many years later, they begin to offer shade, too. At some point, the tree begins to grow old. Limbs begin to fall out, the bark gets loose, insects invade, woodpeckers dig holes to get the insects, and in time, the once beautiful young tree fails and often falls hurting other trees around it. Right now, there are many subdivisions and areas offering youthful promise, even some shade. Buy a home with that promise and you won't go wrong.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:46 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Have you ever just watched a tree grow old? Cities and suburbs are a lot the same way. They start out young, willowy, often skinny, and without a lot to offer but promise. They then become pretty additions to landscapes, and not too many years later, they begin to offer shade, too. At some point, the tree begins to grow old. Limbs begin to fall out, the bark gets loose, insects invade, woodpeckers dig holes to get the insects, and in time, the once beautiful young tree fails and often falls hurting other trees around it. Right now, there are many subdivisions and areas offering youthful promise, even some shade. Buy a home with that promise and you won't go wrong.
Sorry, but I would never live in a Subdivision. If I can hit my neighbours house with a rock the his is way to close. I like the country life, if I want to fire off my shotgun then I'll do so without some nosey person calling the cops. Or trying to tell me how to mow my lawn. But, thats just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky