Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2006, 02:36 AM

252 posts, read 1,072,092 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was wondering how clean the cities in KY are, lets say compared to some TN cities(Sorry TN people reading this, not trying to offend here)

I noticed alot of junky yards, and poverty. I am looking for a fairly clean kept city on the water. Where people take pride in their yards, of course u are going to have bad, or poverty areas, but not everywhere. I would love greenways, and public spaces, relatively flat and a thriving downtown.

Any cities in KY fit that?

I was in Louisville and Owensboro about 20yrs ago and thought they were pretty nice, but just wondering what is going on there since then.

What about some of these other cities, any of them on the water? or have a good thriving downtown, with alot of stuff going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 10:08 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,418 times
Noticing this has been posted for a few days, but no replies yet, I am wondering if Kentuckians are trying to think of a good way to put this.

Here are my two cents worth:

Every state and city has areas where some people are more fortunate than others. I truly do not believe, however, that cleanliness has anything to do with the financial state you are in. It is possible to be 'dirt' poor, but have a very clean home and take pride with what you have.

There is a term in the south (maybe other places, too - not sure), that I am not proud of - it's called "trailer trash". This is used to describe people who don't care how they look, how they act, and leave the outside of their homes looking as though a tornado has come through. I do not like the term because it implies that all people who live in trailers are junky - which is simply not true, and I do not believe in classifying people in such a negative way, but...

As you drive through any neighborhood in America, you will find houses that do not show pride of ownership. Who knows why this occurs. Too busy, not on their priority list, or simply don't worry about the presentation they show the world - whatever it is, even the fanciest of neighborhoods can have a junky house here and there.

There are neighborhoods which seem to have more than others, but I would not say you could narrow it down to specific cities. All cities have these areas, whether Ky, TN, Fl, - wherever.

From your post, It sounds as though you would do well to investigate 'gated' communities. There are communities like this all over KY, but be prepared to pay an ammenities fee, maintenance fee - and to live up to the 'specs' of the community you choose.

Have you seen "Over the Hedge"? The community built around the area the animals live in is a good example of ensuring 'cleanliness' and a perfect, peaceful suburbia. The president of the homeowners association is a nut and at one point says, "you signed a contract saying you would keep your grass cut no higher than 2", I measured and it is at 2.5..." This may be from a movie, but a very true reality in these types of communities.
To ensure nothing but 'cleanliness' around you, some of your rights have to be given up.

There is a place in Florida called "The Villages". They have created their own town with a hospital, shopping, schools, etc. - but you pay for it. In order to have guests stay over in your home, you must ask permission from the 'council' and even then the visitor cannot stay longer than 30 days.

Sorry, I got a little off track. The point is, no matter where you go, there will be houses that will not meet your standards. I mean 'your' as all of us, as we each have our own tastes and standards. I suggest you do a little research, come for a visit, and find the place that is right for you.

Kentucky is a beautiful place, mixed with all walks of life and culture. You are bound to find something that suites you.

Good luck!

KimmieyKy

P.S. Try Doe Valley in Breckinridge county. It is close to water, but far from everything else, the houses are well priced and it is a golf course community. I believe they do have a web-site - if not google it and see what you can find. I love it there - my son has played two golf tournaments there and it is wonderful - just watch the deer ticks(lol), and be prepared to live by the rules.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:46 AM

12 posts, read 44,133 times
Default Silas

Owensboro is still one of the cleanest cities in the nation. New performing arts center, new greenbelt with miles and miles of bike trails, beautiful river frontage with $40,000,000 (thats millions) improvements started. Great community with 4 colleges. Lower than average cost of living. Vibrant economy with low unemployment. You will love the life style...

Old 01-07-2007, 10:19 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
I am from So. California and my husband and I have traveled all over the south....Kentucky is by far the cleanest "southern" state we have encountered....even most of downtown Louisville is clean...we are very impressed. We have been out to the countryside and through small towns and felt that there is a lot of pride of ownership throughout Kentucky regardless of economic status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky