Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 AM

47 posts, read 47,274 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I are interested in moving to Kentucky. We visited last year for a few days during the summer (Lexington) and fell in love. We're currently in NH and getting real tired of the gentrification/cost of living seeping in from the Boston metro area and the terribly harsh and very long winters - here's what we're looking for:

- lots of land (10+ acres)
- historic/older home (renovated?)
- close to major hubs (Lex/Cinn)
- low taxes
- wet county (not a deal breaker)
- historic town (not a deal breaker)
- rural but not *too* far from civilization.

A bit about us, I am self employed and can work from anywhere. My husband is a union boilermaker and has decades of experience in the aviation or nuclear industries (or others). We are outdoorsy and ride dirt bikes/quads....We're social and friendly, but we prefer a bit of solitude and to keep to ourselves.

What we don't like:
- subdivisions
- trendy/hipster scenes (if its gentrified, we want nothing to do with it)
- wonky/overbearing/weird local government
- busy bodies
- high property taxes

-Where you are working
(husband can work anywhere from Cinn to Lex depending on the pay/position, see above!)

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
(up to 300K)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
(45min MAX)

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
(N/A)

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
(small town/rural/historic/untapped)

-Community amenities important to you
(none, we can take care of ourselves!)

-Pie or cake?
(we like both!)

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 AM

258 posts, read 299,853 times
What specifically did you love about Lexington? I'm not trying to bad- mouth Lexington by any means, but I'm kind of confused as to why you fell in love with Lexington given your no-no's--- it's about as gentrified as you can get. And the cost of living in Lexington is actually higher than Cincinnati. There is no town/city in central Ky that would fit all/most of your requirements. Everything in the metro area is either horse farms (which would not even be close to your all's budget), subdivisions, or smaller plots (1-2 acres) of rural land.

Georgetown- subdivision hell
Midway- no inventory (seriously-- I have been looking, too)
Versailles- some historical charm, but the only rural properties are horse farms
Richmond- college town (EKU), small and ugly houses, town is dirty
Frankfort- my hometown-- historic charm abounds, but if you are not wanting to deal with busy bodies, keep on moving along

Lawrenceburg, Winchester and Paris might be options, though. Although I am not sure about job prospects for your husband in any of those towns. Danville, too.... although it might be getting too far south.

I would maybe try closer to northern Ky. There are several places in Cincy where your husband could find work (GE), and the commute would be within 45 minutes. And you would still be in easy driving distance of places like Keeneland or Woodford Reserve on the weekends.

My husband and I are in the process of moving back to Ky (Frankfort). He grew up in Lexington and I went to UK and lived there for 10 years. I love Lexington and have some of the most precious memories from there, but you could not pay us to live there and deal with the traffic.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:20 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Just a few of the small towns and more rural type places outside of Lexington. I have worked with people over the years
who commuted daily to Lexington from these towns.

Paris Kentucky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXc4qK5N294

Winchester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZP4Hjy3GoI

DANVILLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-zG648vXQ

Versailles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6IrOn6_uKo

RICHMOND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Jw4bQbRzo

There are tons of smaller historic towns in Kentucky close to Lexington or outside of Cincinnati.

There is also Georgetown, Wilmore, Nicholasville, Richmond, Mt. Sterling, and Danville....just to name a
few more.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Default Thank you!

Wow! Such amazing resources! Thank you!
I guess what we really liked about Lexington was the quaint neighborhoods, friendly people, and really how genuine the people seem that live there. I could be wrong, but thats the grasp we got. Although Im originally from NYC/Brooklyn, we are far from city slickers so this size of a city really appealed to us. It also seemed fairly clean and safe. Again, we could be wrong. Perhaps coming from where we come from, its not that bad? lol

We would probably have to live closer to Franfort if he wants to work in the same industry. Funny you mention GE, he worked for GE for 10yrs here in NH and could easily get a hookup, so thats totally on the table.
I will look into the other towns you mentioned. Thank you again!

Old 02-14-2017, 09:36 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy5...feature=relmfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldClothesandSuch View Post
Hello!
My husband and I are interested in moving to Kentucky. We visited last year for a few days during the summer (Lexington) and fell in love. We're currently in NH and getting real tired of the gentrification/cost of living seeping in from the Boston metro area and the terribly harsh and very long winters - here's what we're looking for:

- lots of land (10+ acres)
- historic/older home (renovated?)
- close to major hubs (Lex/Cinn)
- low taxes
- wet county (not a deal breaker)
- historic town (not a deal breaker)
- rural but not *too* far from civilization.

Well, I am sure are winters would be milder than New Hampshire, but it does have four distinct seasons in Kentucky...the Spring and the Fall are my favorite - Kentucky is really beautiful during the spring and the fall. The area right around Lexington is some of the most expensive land in the state, but I think things might be less expensive around Wilmore or Nicholasville...or maybe Winchester or Paris. But, if I
were you I would consult a real estate agent, because they really do know more of the ups and downs of each town, comparatively. Any one the places that I listed in the above post would be within an hour
drive from Lexington, some are just minutes away.

A bit about us, I am self employed and can work from anywhere. My husband is a union boilermaker and has decades of experience in the aviation or nuclear industries (or others). We are outdoorsy and ride dirt bikes/quads....We're social and friendly, but we prefer a bit of solitude and to keep to ourselves.

What we don't like:
- subdivisions
- trendy/hipster scenes (if its gentrified, we want nothing to do with it)
- wonky/overbearing/weird local government
- busy bodies
- high property taxes

I do have to be honest, we do have some really wonky Politicians in the state though.

-Where you are working
(husband can work anywhere from Cinn to Lex depending on the pay/position, see above!)

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
(up to 300K)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
(45min MAX)
All of the places that I mentioned are within a 45 minute commute to Lexington.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
(N/A)

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
(small town/rural/historic/untapped)

-Community amenities important to you
(none, we can take care of ourselves!)

-Pie or cake?
(we like both!)
You are making me hungry now, lol.

Thank you in advance
Georgetown/Paris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9in6bYchZc8

Old 02-14-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Wow! Such amazing resources! Thank you!
I guess what we really liked about Lexington was the quaint neighborhoods, friendly people, and really how genuine the people seem that live there. I could be wrong, but thats the grasp we got. Although Im originally from NYC/Brooklyn, we are far from city slickers so this size of a city really appealed to us. It also seemed fairly clean and safe. Again, we could be wrong. Perhaps coming from where we come from, its not that bad? lol

We would probably have to live closer to Franfort if he wants to work in the same industry. Funny you mention GE, he worked for GE for 10yrs here in NH and could easily get a hookup, so thats totally on the table.
I will look into the other towns you mentioned. Thank you again!
One of the major reasons why we are moving back to Ky is for that hospitality! Cincinnati is just so blah to live in. People just don't have a joy for living as much up here. It's depressing. I like colorful people, and Ky has it in spades, no matter what town you pick.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:41 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Lawrenceburg may be a good option. It's a smallish town of about 10,000 located 24 miles from Lexington and 14 miles from Frankfort. It has one of the lowest crimes stats for a town it's size in KY. Home prices are reasonable.

Home - City of Lawrenceburg
VisitLawrenceburgKY.com Lawrenceburg, Kentucky

Old 02-15-2017, 07:26 AM

Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate it!
Can anyone recommend towns along the I-71 or I-75 corridor?
Seems that most of the jobs my husband would be looking at would be along that corridor - so we're looking to stay within that area for work reasons! There seem to be so many cute towns but I dont know the good/bad/ugly.
Thank you again!

Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 AM

Also! Can someone tell me in laymans terms, what a "home rule class" city is? Thank you!

Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate it!
Can anyone recommend towns along the I-71 or I-75 corridor?
Seems that most of the jobs my husband would be looking at would be along that corridor - so we're looking to stay within that area for work reasons! There seem to be so many cute towns but I dont know the good/bad/ugly.
Thank you again!
Georgetown (bigger) and Sadieville (teeny), if you are wanting to stay closer to Lex. Sadieville might actually have some property you could purchase and build on. I don't know if building a home appeals to you all or not. I don't think there are a lot of pre-existing homes. The population is less than 500. I had a former boss who had a really nice house in Sadieville. It was secluded, but it's right off of 75. Georgetown has a lot of subdivisions, but if you were on the outskirts, you might find something a little more tucked away. Both are in Scott County, just north of Lex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky