Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 AM

29 posts, read 113,869 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to retire in Columbia or surrounding areas. We're in our late 40's and want to buy land and build a home. My husband is currently in the military and I'm a crafter.

We would like to know more about the area and if you would recommend retirement in this area. We want someplace a little more rural, tired of big cities.

Any advice on this area is welcome.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 AM

409 posts, read 871,367 times
I can't really tell that much about Columbia and surrounding areas. My main stomping ground is east of there, but I have been there many times for work. But from what I know buying land shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed your husband is in the military so I suspect access to VA facilities will play a role in where you relocate. I believe that the VA has a clinic in Bowling Green. There are also VA hospitals in Lexington KY and Nashville TN.

IIRC, you have four urban areas within a couple of hours drive (Lexington, Louisville, Bowling Green and Nashville) so it might be a good combination of a rural area with access to urban amenities.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:45 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Someone also mentioned to me that Columbia might be exactly what I'm looking for in a retirement town. It fits almost all of my personal criteria. It has a very traditional small town feeling but also has a college. This is a good site to follow to keep up on things going on there and the surrounding area.
News for Columbia, KY and Adair County on ColumbiaMagazine.com

In case you haven't seen it yet, this is their website
City of Columbiaky | A Great Place To Call Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm5rx-5eFLs

Old 09-08-2017, 05:42 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Columbia is quite nice, the "big" city in the midst of a rather rural area. Big being a relative term, it probably will meet your needs. Property prices are reasonable and Kentucky itself is a good place to retire to. I would consider the community conservative and military friendly. If it matters to you, Adair County Schools are fairly good and most graduates enjoy post graduate success by either going to college or going on to gainful employment. It is convenient to Bowling Green and, a place that may matter a lot to you if your family has a number of prescription drugs, Fort Knox.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
My mom's family is from that area and I lived 15 to 20 miles from Columbia from ages 5 to 11. It's a typical small South Central KY town with a few restaurants and a couple places to shop, friendly Southern culture, not much diversity ethically or politically. There is a small private college there (Lindsey Wilson). If you want more shopping or medical choices you drive to Somerset, Glasgow, or Bowling Green. It's about the same distance to Louisville or Lexington, Nashville is a bit further. There is a lot of tourist industry in the area due to Lake Cumberland (4+ million visitors per year). I also like nearby Russell Springs and Jamestown.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:27 AM

10 posts, read 11,247 times
We have lived in Casey County the past few years and have had the chance to see surrounding areas. Columbia is one of the better areas I think, as far as home prices, peace, and retiring go. We like going down there to shop. It just feels good compared to where we are now. I find it interesting that you are in your 40s and wanting to retire. Because I am in my 40s and plan to leave here to start a better life. Lol. A bigger city. Faster paced. And more opportunities. KY is a good place to fall back and do less. But if you want more in life, big cities offer more. Call me a late bloomer.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:55 PM

We’re done with big cities and want to slow down. I’m sure after a year or two we will both be working again, but military life can be hectic.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I think it's almost common for someone who was born and raised in a smaller town to want out and explore the world, big cities and all they have to offer. Then there're people like myself that have been there and done that and want just the opposite, a nice family oriented rather quiet town like Columbia with a slower pace of life.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:29 AM

We have found two properties we really like, the first in Jabez and the second in Breeding.

Thanks for all your information.

Now to decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky