Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to move to?
Eastern Kentucky 4 19.05%
Maine 12 57.14%
Other (note below) 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times

Advertisements

Here's another suggestion. Look into Estill County, Irvine/Ravenna area. It's where the Bluegrass meets the mountains. Property taxes are very low. It's quite beautiful and very affordable. It's Eastern KY, considered Appalachia but still only a short drive to Richmond. Check out this house on 6 acres. It seems to have much of what you're looking for at $59,000. It's a smaller house but it's only one example. There are others. If you look, have an open mind and some patience, you'll find the right house at the right price with some compromise. If you'e worried about the water, have it tested as a condition to purchasing any home.
BTW, personally I think KY is one of the best kept secrets out there. Like you, I lived in Apple Valley for several years and now live just a few miles from there. Do as much research as you can. Knowledge is your best friend in this situation.
I won't even consider Maine despite it's beauty, it's too cold, too liberal for me.

https://www.trulia.com/property/5028...rvine-KY-40336

Last edited by marino760; 09-13-2017 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 AM

409 posts, read 873,174 times
I suppose the question is what exactly do you mean by "east Kentucky" That for me is a very specific area of cities/counties that is probably smaller than what you consider east Kentucky. There are areas outside of East Ky that meet your parameters. I would look at the areas around Mt. Sterling/Morehead, Berea/Richmond, Barbourville/Corbin/Williamsburg, and London/Somerset in addition to some of the areas already mentioned. Those areas should hopefully any concerns you might have as to water quality due to mine runoff.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:56 AM

87 posts, read 79,425 times
To clarify, in my mind I draw a line North/South through Lexington. East of that is Eastern Kentucky. Is the actual area locals call eastern KY further east than that?

-Michael

Old 09-14-2017, 11:41 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
for me, while beautiful Maine's winters, are just too cold...and long

Love Kentucky but not familiar with Lexington....Kentucky is a beautiful state, people are extremely hospitable, especially in certain areas....Western Kentucky would be my choice, near a small town, but not in one. However, I wouldn't want to live in Eastern Kentucky.

there are drugs all over the place, some more than others, but in the end, you have to feel safe and comfortable, so your own the right track with doing your homework.

Find places you would like to live and then call the police department and ask them the level of crime...in certain areas you've chosen.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-14-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 12:38 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix02 View Post
To clarify, in my mind I draw a line North/South through Lexington. East of that is Eastern Kentucky. Is the actual area locals call eastern KY further east than that?

-Michael
The counties which border Fayette County (which includes Lexington) are considered Inner Bluegrass, not Eastern Kentucky, although you are technically geographically correct - if you divide Kentucky into thirds, Lexington will fall close to the line between the middle section and the eastern section.

In actual local usuage, "Eastern Kentucky" usually equates with the (Cumberland) mountains, where the landscape is radically different from that of the Bluegrass and the traditional way of life also differs to some degree.

I would suggest visiting Kentucky to learn more about living here before making a move.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:45 PM

409 posts, read 873,174 times
Quote:

-Michael
What I consider East Kentucky is bordered from I-64 south to the Virginia border and then west from east from the Manchester/Hyden area to the West Virginia State line.

The approximate area of Middlesboro to Williamsburg to London to Manchester is generally referred to as Southeast Kentucky by the locals as the topography of the area changes the further west you go. It wouldn't surprise me if the Ashland/Morehead/Mt Stirling area refers to themselves as Northeast Kentucky for similar reasons.

I suspect mine runoff affecting water quality would be be more likely to pop up in the area I refer to Eastern Kentucky as that is where you would saw more strip mining as opposed to the other parts of the state.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:09 PM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The counties which border Fayette County (which includes Lexington) are considered Inner Bluegrass, not Eastern Kentucky, although you are technically geographically correct - if you divide Kentucky into thirds, Lexington will fall close to the line between the middle section and the eastern section.

In actual local usuage, "Eastern Kentucky" usually equates with the (Cumberland) mountains, where the landscape is radically different from that of the Bluegrass and the traditional way of life also differs to some degree.

I would suggest visiting Kentucky to learn more about living here before making a move.
Colorado is one beautiful state, and so is Missouri.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:43 PM

87 posts, read 79,425 times
Colorado is way too liberal and WAY too expensive for us. Missouri is an option, but we would prefer not bring so flat. I like hills and mountains.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:05 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Quote:
Colorado is way too liberal and WAY too expensive for us. Missouri is an option, but we would prefer not bring so flat. I like hills and mountains.
Southern Missouri includes part of the Ozark Mountains. It's not all flat. Central Missouri is rolling, again - not flat.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:23 PM

672 posts, read 811,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Southern Missouri includes part of the Ozark Mountains. It's not all flat. Central Missouri is rolling, again - not flat.
I just spent this summer checking it out myself and parts of Tennessee. I'm starting to favor TN myself. Kentucky made my top 10 but not 5. Still interested somewhat that's why I responded to the thread starter and that I'm also leaving CA.
Quote:
Dhult,

Eastern TN was my first target. I lived there a couple years as a boy and fell in love with the place. But, I don't think it is to be. First, that area is turning quickly into a favorite destination for retirees, meaning property prices have quickly escalated out of my price range. Second, they have some homeschooling requirements I don't like all too much- Kentucky is much more free in that regard. But, if I could find what I wanted- house, not mobile or manufactured, with a good size garage or barn or even full basement for my shop, not in town but not too far from town, on at least 2 acres, for $80k or less, I would consider it, but those properties are few and far between. Most in that $80k range I have found need another $50k to be made habitable, which is not an option for me. At $80k, it has to be in good enough shape to move in, slap some paint on the walls and do any other work over time. I will only have max $80k to work with, so if the house needs work for my family to be able to live in it, I have to get it below that to absorb the cost of repairs and be under $80k.
OP, yeah I read in your initial post about East Tennessee. I think middle TN and the Cumberland Plateau are cheaper and still have plenty of hills and mountain feel. You might find what you are looking for there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky