Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 10,451 times

Advertisements

Moving to a small town near one of these places. Which one would I enjoy more?

Here's what I require:
  • Safe, family-friendly atmosphere (I don't wanna commute to a ghetto full of hipsters)
  • Conservative
  • Plenty of fun things to do year-round (I enjoy live music and carnivals)
  • Sunny and mild weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 01:20 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Bowling Green, given your criteria

(Either might work-but when elections roll around, especially Presidential ones Lexington and Louisville are two bright blue dots in a sea of red....I am not sure how Liberal we are comparatively on a national level, but in comparison to the rest of Kentucky we are Liberal and just like UK..very, very Blue....although I have never found a ghetto full of hipsters anywhere in Lexington!!!).

Old 08-27-2021, 06:49 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Bowling Green, given your criteria

(Either might work-but when elections roll around, especially Presidential ones Lexington and Louisville are two bright blue dots in a sea of red....I am not sure how Liberal we are comparatively on a national level, but in comparison to the rest of Kentucky we are Liberal and just like UK..very, very Blue....although I have never found a ghetto full of hipsters anywhere in Lexington!!!).
Oh, honey, nowhere in Kentucky is liberal, although Louisville is probably going to get there soon. Governor Andy would be considered a heavily leaning conservative in every other state I’ve lived. Amy McGrath was not exaggerating too much when she said she was the most liberal politician in Kentucky and she would be branded a DINO elsewhere. And, Lexington isn’t a bright blue, Hillary barely won and in the 2020 6th District election Hicks only got 53% in Fayette County. Although, based on the way Lexington is growing, I suspect it will get there eventually.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh, honey, nowhere in Kentucky is liberal, although Louisville is probably going to get there soon. Governor Andy would be considered a heavily leaning conservative in every other state I’ve lived. Amy McGrath was not exaggerating too much when she said she was the most liberal politician in Kentucky and she would be branded a DINO elsewhere. And, Lexington isn’t a bright blue, Hillary barely won and in the 2020 6th District election Hicks only got 53% in Fayette County. Although, based on the way Lexington is growing, I suspect it will get there eventually.

I don't really disagree with anything you are saying. I was just saying that Jefferson and Fayette country are usually the only two counties that vote blue in the state. I don't imagine Bowling Green is anywhere close.
I agree about Beshear and McGrath especially.

It seems to be a trend though larger cities voting blue and smaller towns and rural areas voting red.
(What I think is especially sad is that only 59 percent of Kentucky voters voted.)

blue/red map

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 08-28-2021 at 12:53 AM..

Old 08-28-2021, 05:44 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
My guess is probably less hipsters in Bowling Green than Lexington? KY experts, which is more scenic countryside a few miles outside of Bowling Green or a few miles outside of Lexington? Which is more affordable housing?

Old 08-28-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I don't really disagree with anything you are saying. I was just saying that Jefferson and Fayette country are usually the only two counties that vote blue in the state. I don't imagine Bowling Green is anywhere close.
I agree about Beshear and McGrath especially.

It seems to be a trend though larger cities voting blue and smaller towns and rural areas voting red.
(What I think is especially sad is that only 59 percent of Kentucky voters voted.)

blue/red map
The bold is true. I am surprised Franklin County doesn’t go blue more often. It is really sad how few bother to vote.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
My guess is probably less hipsters in Bowling Green than Lexington? KY experts, which is more scenic countryside a few miles outside of Bowling Green or a few miles outside of Lexington? Which is more affordable housing?
Totally correct on the hipsters. The thing is Bowling Green’s nearby big city is Nashville. Lexington is its area’s big city.

Bowling Green has more as long as you aren’t heading towards Nashville. However, the countryside outside of Lexington is unusually gorgeous, people who haven’t lived near other large cities don’t appreciate its uniquely beautiful horse farms enough.

Bowling Green is more affordable. Lexington is much larger but also much better laid out.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:40 PM

My Uncle and cousins lived for decades in Bowling Green, and my best friend went to college there (WKU) in the late 70's and early 80's, so I visited there often, it's pretty and nice....but it's not really a big city by any means.
Everyone headed out to Nashville a lot. My Uncle worked at an airplane factory in Nashville, so he commuted every day
for years.

Quote:
Both have great scenery, if you like that woodsy, lots of green look, which is all over the place in Kentucky.
I would give the edge in scenery to Lexington though. (I grew up in Louisville, my dad took me to the Horse Park soon after it opened and I feel in love with Lexington, I knew that I wanted to live there some day.) I loved it, being surrounded by miles and miles of beautiful horse farms. Do a make visit. You might fall in love with it too.

I am sure Bowling Green would have less hipsters than Lexington, but I have lived in Lexington for over 30 years now and haven't really noticed any (I guess the question is would I really know one if I saw one?)
I live within a ten minute to drive to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Macy's (is this where hipsters would go? I have no idea! I am getting old!)
And politically even though over half the population may vote blue in the election, almost half vote red....it's not like 90 percent vote blue. I guess we are just more diverse.

It's complicated!

Old 08-28-2021, 10:49 PM

Excuse me, now I have to go google 'hipster'!
I am wondering if it is the same as a "hippy'

Old 08-29-2021, 01:30 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Excuse me, now I have to go google 'hipster'!
I am wondering if it is the same as a "hippy'
LOL, I googled it yesterday to find out what that was

I thought it had something to do with music!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky