Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I love the Nashville skyline and this baby will be the new dominate force in all southern cities when finally built:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e0/Signature_Tower.png/360px-Signature_Tower.png (broken link)
I like that MUCH better than the hideous museum plaza thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
I'm not a big fan of having one building that is so much taller than the rest of the skyline - it seems to make all the other buildings look much smaller, rather than make the overall skyline look more impressive.

Cincinnati only has 1 building barely taller than AEGON Center (Carew Tower 573, AEGON 549) yet is considered to have one of the best skylines. Indy has a much taller tallest (Chase Bldg 830 feet) that tends to negate, rather than complement the rest of the skyline.

IMO 2 500 foot buildings would be better for Nashville than 1 1,000 footer.

Pics from Panramio (not mine)
Cinci

Indy
http://home.indy.rr.com/adaquinoy/Images/indy_skyline.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,543 times
Here is the future view of Nashville

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
I agree with censusdata's point that having one tower stick out above all the others in the skyline, as will occur in Nashville, might...stick out like a sore thumb. BUT, Nashville is a rapidly growing metropolitan city/area, economically and population-wise. I predict that more and more people will want to live closer to where they work in any city. So, Nashville may, over time, build more and more towers surrounding the 1000-footer that ascend closer to its height.

Louisville does have a more diverse skyline (and, CURRENTLY, more attractive) than Nashville. I hope its skyline continues to diversify more in terms of creativity/ architecture so that God-awful Museum Plaza (I agree w/ you, missy) won't stick out like a sore thumb for very long. I've always ranked Louisville's skyline as being among my top 7-8 in the U.S.; in 2010, that will change.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,376 times

I think the Nashville skyline is pretty.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:01 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Someone once said that the museum plaza looks like an oil rig and the arena looks like a printer. I agree lol

Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 AM

813 posts, read 2,030,986 times
Here's a newer and better photo of some the Nashville skyline. A large stretch of the midtown is missing as it couldn't fit in this pano. Pretty much this entire pano will be filled with projects in five years. There are eight cranes in this photo alone. Signature Tower, if built, will go in the middle of downtown. The Pinnacle tower is under construction already to the right of the AT&T Tower and the new Music City Center will likely have two tall headquarter towers nearby. So, the core is densifying fast but not quite as fast as, say, Charlotte.

I don't think Louisville has a better skyline but, of course, it's subjective. Nashville has far more towers and many more on the way. However, Louisville does have some great historic neighborhoods that we'd love. I also loves Louisville's bridge network. There are great things going on in both places and TN and KY should be proud of their lead cities.

Last edited by ariesjow; 05-30-2008 at 08:11 AM..

Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

1. Freeways not as confusing -Nashville has to have one of the most confusing freeway/ interstate systems in the US. To follow an interstate route you constantly have to cut across 5 lanes of traffic to avoid getting on the wrong road.

Louisville's 2 beltlines (inner and outer) take you anywhere in the city and make navigating very easy
As opposed to this mess???

I will say that L'ville does have better bypasses. The Nashville area is larger than L'ville yet they don't have a bypass worth a flip. And don't tell me I-440 is one because that would be a joke.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM

From a distance I think Nashville's skyline is a bit better, but I really like the way Louisville's is so dense next to the river. Nashville may be on a river, but it really doesn't feel like a river city

Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM

One point that may have been missed is Downtown Nashville is better because of the way it feels from ground level, not how it looks from afar. Most streets in Downtown Louisville don't even feel urban because of all the parking lots. Louisville made some terrible decisions in the 50s and 60s and is still paying for them today.

Here is a website of the beautiful buildings that once graced Downtown's streets:
Louisville after the Bombings? (The Thumbnails)

San Antonio's skyline is hardly impressive, yet it has one of the most vibrant downtowns in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky