Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 10:35 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark abby View Post
yep....when we went to get our drivers license, we were surprised we were the only ones there!! No long wait lines, no rude DMV employees, no hassles, and very friendly people working there. It was like....are we on another planet?

And the people here....we thought something was wrong at first...strangers saying "hello" or "hi" with a smile no less! Wasn't like that in NYS....if you said hello to someone they would either ignore you or give you a strange look. People in NYS just seem miserable all the time. But, our supposed accent gives us away...lol. Fist thing they say is "you aren't from around here, are you?" lol but, being a NY italian, i guess my "accent" is here to stay. I still say "you guys" and not y'all.

Again, best move we ever made.
I'm from PA, and they say I to have an accent? Being an Italian from NYS, I hope yo find the food choices much better where you are. Here in Bowling Green, everything is fried, fried fish and fried chicken, the only repreieve from that is Cracker Barrel and the steak houses....and you cannot find those great hoagie rolls like back home which make the sandwhich. Pizza is nothing like back home. But, as you say, the people are not walking around frowning, they are very friendly, and accomodating...helpful and humble for the most part...and the roads are extremely well kept...took me 3 months, no lie, to get used to not having to dodge pot holes. lol

So there are always trade offs...I just wish there were a few of those great diners from back home, with a big variety of choices....instead of all fried foods...

The weather is so much milder, but tropical in mid-summer, but I love it and it stays pretty warm right up until Christmas...but we are at the northern tip of Tornado Alley...and as you might remember, we got hit pretty hard last year. So many homes and businesses were destroyed....but they bounced back...

Whats it like where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2023, 10:51 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
"Trump Culture of winning is alive and well" -Daniel Cameron.

Daniel Cameron supported and supports Donald Trump.
For that very reason alone, I would never vote for him. Period.
Or anyone who had supported Trump. That reason alone, makes it a no-go for me.

Beshear all the way.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:02 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

Beshear all the way.
As far as I'm concerned, Trump is a non issue in the KY gubernatorial race. If people are going to tie Cameron to Trump, it will only increase his chances of winning and decrease Beshear's odds. KY overwhelmingly voted for Trump in the last Presidential election. This certainly doesn't help Beshear with KY voters overall.
I certainly understand how you feel and where you're coming from. I get it, but tying Cameron to Trump isn't going to hurt him in KY.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:57 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark abby View Post
Andy Beshear will be getting campaign funding from the democrat party. This means he has to sell his soul to them and abide by their ideologies. Beware, that if he is re-elected, he is going to make some huge liberal changes to the state of Kentucky.

We moved from the ultra liberal state of new York and into Kentucky. The feeling is we got out of prison and are now FREE! Just look at NYS and you will see where this state could be heading. NYS has rules and regulations for everything and anything.

If you want to see what Kentucky will be like if Beshear is re-elected, look at any democrat governed state. They all must abide by the democrat's progressive ideologies if they want huge campaign funding.

Don't chance giving up your freedoms and beliefs!!
Not every Republican state has a republican governor and same for democratic states. Just look at Massachusetts with a history of Republican governors. Voters like to shake things up now and then.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Trump is a non issue in the KY gubernatorial race. If people are going to tie Cameron to Trump, it will only increase his chances of winning and decrease Beshear's odds. KY overwhelmingly voted for Trump in the last Presidential election. This certainly doesn't help Beshear with KY voters overall.
I certainly understand how you feel and where you're coming from. I get it, but tying Cameron to Trump isn't going to hurt him in KY.
You are probably right. Kentucky is a very red state. It would not surprise me.
I was just posting on my feelings on the matter.
(I was really glad that Kelly Craft lost the Primary....lets just say I didn't care much for her at all.
And she bombarded us with constant TV Ads.)

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-29-2023 at 11:17 PM..

Old 07-29-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Not every Republican state has a republican governor and same for democratic states. Just look at Massachusetts with a history of Republican governors. Voters like to shake things up now and then.
That is true, we are a very red state and our state legislature is almost all Republican...but we usually vote in Democratic Governors for whatever reason.

Quote:
At the state level, Democratic governors have led Kentucky for 64 of the past 76 years. The state has elected three Republican governors since World War II—in 1967, 2003, and 2015—each of whom served a single term.
LINK
Since 1859 Kentucky has had 9 Republican Governors and 34 Democrat Governors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rs_of_Kentucky

Andy Beshear's Father Steve Beshear was reelected Governor of the state.

That is a lot of Democratic Governor's and we have yet to be turned into some Liberal state.
Still seems pretty conservative and traditional around here to me.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:23 AM

20 posts, read 23,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm from PA, and they say I to have an accent? Being an Italian from NYS, I hope yo find the food choices much better where you are. Here in Bowling Green, everything is fried, fried fish and fried chicken, the only repreieve from that is Cracker Barrel and the steak houses....and you cannot find those great hoagie rolls like back home which make the sandwhich. Pizza is nothing like back home. But, as you say, the people are not walking around frowning, they are very friendly, and accomodating...helpful and humble for the most part...and the roads are extremely well kept...took me 3 months, no lie, to get used to not having to dodge pot holes. lol

So there are always trade offs...I just wish there were a few of those great diners from back home, with a big variety of choices....instead of all fried foods...

The weather is so much milder, but tropical in mid-summer, but I love it and it stays pretty warm right up until Christmas...but we are at the northern tip of Tornado Alley...and as you might remember, we got hit pretty hard last year. So many homes and businesses were destroyed....but they bounced back...

Whats it like where you live?
ha..true on everything you stated! And, there's no REAL italian restaurants here in the Monticello/Somerset area...except for a chain one (Fazolis) We can't even fin real cappacola around here. LOL We buy most of our Italian food stuff when we visit Rochester NY once a year.

Yes, roads are great down here and the best part is hardly any salt is used. Cars in NYS begin to rust after 3 or 4 years.

On the fast food/restaurants.....we don't normally go to them. I agree that fried everything isn't the best, and everything else is smoked...lol. We do go to some good mexican places to eat now and then.

My wife, being italian, loves to cook, so we mostly eat at home. She makes everything from scratch, so, no complaints there! (of course not)

one more thing....no one around here ever had steamed clams and butter! So, we're going to have a clam bake for some neighbors and introduce them to steamed clams. lol

Old 07-30-2023, 07:24 AM

20 posts, read 23,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

Beshear all the way.
so, you vote on your emotions and not the issues at hand?

i can see why biden got elected.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:51 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
marino I hope the Cameron camp steps up their TV ads showing Beshear for who he really is, a wolf in sheep's clothing. An ad showing how little Beshear actually did to create jobs would be a good start. Anyone can get in front of a camera, smile, and take credit when in fact it's the state legislature that deserves much credit by reducing the state income tax. In reality, that's all the Beshear camp has, is talking about how Beshear single handedly created jobs after the covid lockdown which he himself helped create and blessed.
He should have never shut Kentucky down, he destroyed businesses, and the lives of so many people who owned those businesses...so many businesses were forced to shut down...

Quote:
The latest poll I saw last week had Beshear still leading but by a smaller percentage, with the news media calling it within the margin of error. There is still plenty of time before the election. If Beshear is reelected, it's at least some comfort the state legislature has a veto proof majority so he won't be able to run freely doing whatever he pleases whenever he pleases like most Dem governors do.
I don't trust those polls, never have, they are way too unpredictable....so many people do not take part in the polls....

Old 07-30-2023, 08:24 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
He should have never shut Kentucky down, he destroyed businesses, and the lives of so many people who owned those businesses...so many businesses were forced to shut down...

I don't trust those polls, never have, they are way too unpredictable....so many people do not take part in the polls....
I agree with you on the polls. I just threw that out there to show it might be a very close race. I've noticed polls in KY state elections tend to skew towards Dem candidates and then on election day, the Dem usually loses and often by large percentages, but that's certainly not a scientific observation on my part,

I think a lot of polls tend to reflect Louisville and Lexington which of course are Dem strongholds. I don't think very many people in small to midsize towns throughout the state ever get polled and they are the ones that determine most statewide elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky