Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,521 times

Advertisements

We're new to KY, does anyone know of a wrought iron company? We want to repurpose cut tree pieces to make furniture with wrought iron legs, etc. Thanks! KY is so beautiful! Loving it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,531 times
I love this event. This will be my 3rd trip and hubby's first so he is a 127 virgin LOL. I was able to find rooms for 3 nights at resonable rates. Of course if you want something better than Motel 6 you may be out of luck. We decided that all we needed was a shower, toilet, bed and TV. You are just too tired to appreciate luxury after a full day of shopping. Good luck on those special finds and remember to have fun. Remember to drink lots of water and some sports drinks. The ratio should be 3 water bottles to 1 sports drink. Drink a LOT of water. If you wait until you feel thirsty then you can get into trouble with heat exaustion or heat stroke. Baby wipes kept in your cooler are the best! Wear a hat, cap or something to keep direct sun off your head. Try to avoid alcohol as it dehydrates you. It is hot and tiring but when you find that thing you cannot live without--and get it at a very reasonable price you will forget the misery. I spent well over $500.00 and brought home a TON of great stuff. Most spend well under that but some spend a lot more. I have a new home that needs new treasures. See y'all there!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
The 127 Sale gets underway around midweek prior to the "official" weekend (the first weekend in August). Not that far away now. There are some good (and some not-so-good) YouTube films that can give newbies a rough idea of what to expect. The HGTV ones are a bit over the top, I thought, though I've frequently encountered their crews filming (never been interviewed, though). They seem to go for entertainment value rather than realism, perhaps understandably.

The 127 Sale can be grueling physically, but it's also a lot of fun for those of us blessed with the hunter-gatherer gene. Just be sure you are well-prepared and that your car's in good shape.

See my previous post from a couple of years ago (on the previous screen in this topic) for 127 Sale survival suggestions.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Gracenjoy, you may want to post your inquiry in the general Kentucky section as a separate topic, for a better response.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM

Only a week to go until the 2011 World's Longest Yard Sale, aka the 127 Sale, begins! Take lots of water, snacks, bug spray, sun block, and an umbrella (which can double as a parasol if it's hot and sunny), wear comfortable enclosed walking shoes and cool clothing, keep your gas tank filled, hit any decent bathroom facilities whenever you can, take hand sanitizer, paper towels, facial tissues, newspaper and boxes for packing fragile finds, use a fanny pack and take lots of small bills (nothing over $20), and prepare to find treasures and have a blast!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 PM

Be extremely careful driving along 127 during the yard sale, and watch both oncoming and same-direction traffic! I came close to a major accident today, entirely due to another driver's negligence and lack of attention.

As I was heading back along 127 near the Shell station in Junction City late this afternoon, I reached the point where the road widens to four lanes (northbound; my direction) and narrows to two lanes for opposing southbound traffic. There's a flashing light and signs to alert drivers.

But that wasn't sufficient for a man driving a SUV southbound. He'd been in the fast (inner) lane - but when he reached the two-lane, he pulled directly into the northbound lane (apparently mistaking it for a turn lane??) and continued straight towards me! I had my lights on - so did he - and I hit the brakes and the horn simultaneously. He kept coming. I sat on the horn. He slowed but remained in my lane. I had to swerve onto the side of the road (as did the car behind me) while this numbskull kept driving south in the single northbound lane.

There's a very large sale on the east side of 127 at just this point, just beyond the Shell station. Traffic was heavy, combining yard salers plus normal rush hour drivers heading south from Danville. No police presence in sight.

I'm very thankful my instincts kicked in and I avoided the head-on collision which might have otherwise occurred. But it was a scary experience, and the very notion of a driver being so inattentive to the road as to endanger not only his own life but those of others because he just had to get to a big yard sale...good grief.

I wish the police had witnessed it and that I'd had the presence of mind to call 911 asap. By the time I thought of calling, it was too late...and I didn't have a license number or good description - white man, clean-shaven, about 65-70, big SUV - can't even remember what color the vehicle was.

So have fun, find bargains - but be extremely careful and aware of other drivers. I also experienced drivers ahead of me who slowed abruptly and never signaled turns, stopped half in and half out of the road while s-l-o-w-l-y turning into sales, drivers on narrow, hilly driveways who refused to pull over to the grass to let oncoming drivers pass, and other general cluelessness.

In past years, the Kentucky State Highway Department has posted numerous flashing signs, along with orange cones to encourage safer driving, while the state police have increased patrols. I saw none of these today. Clearly, it's time they do so again. Since the World's Longest Yard Sale officially begins tomorrow, perhaps there will be more police presence. But realistically, it needs to be beefed up when people start showing up, and vendors have been setting up and buyers hitting the road since Monday.

Be safe, people. And be watchful and be considerate.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:05 AM

1 posts, read 856 times
Lake Cumberland what a great place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2015, 12:12 PM

It's almost time for the 2015 World's Longest Yard Sale, aka the 127 Sale, to get underway!

This year's official dates are August 6-9, but dealers start setting up a few days earlier. I expect my first excursion over to 127 will be on Tuesday. The sale accelerates as the days pass (and so does traffic, both in volume and intensity)..

All the advice given earlier in this thread still applies. So check it out, have fun, but be alert and stay safe on the road.

This is also a great place for people-watching. I am just waiting for someone to create a "People of the 127 Sale" website (but then, I might show up on it: Yikes!).

Kentucky weather should be seasonal next week - warm to hot, fairly humid with occasional pop-up thunderstorms by midweek, subsiding by week's end. Prepare accordingly.

See you at the Sale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky