Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:30 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times

Advertisements

Today is the NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Kentucky Speedway.

I took at tour at the Speedway in 2002. They take a small bus around the track. It was fun, but I thought the lady driving the bus was trying to set a new track record, she got that thing up to 90 mph!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:52 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times
I like the track. I have been to Nashville as well and there is no comparison. KY wins hands-down. The only problem is traffic control is horrible and the track is out in the sticks. They my just get a cup race now that Bruton Smith is buying the track.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM

The racing at KY Speedway is great because the track is made for lots of passing. I think the drivers would much rather have a race at KY than Dover or Pocono, which shouldn't be surprising since it was designed as a driver friendly track.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Pocono has to be the biggest snoozer track on the circuit. The fact they get two races make me want to vomit.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
yesterday at news on NASCAR, they stated a cup reace will--NOT--be coming to KY Speedway.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
yesterday at news on NASCAR, they stated a cup reace will--NOT--be coming to KY Speedway.
...in 2009. That statement meant nothing for 2010.

KY Speedway sales out (70,000+ seats) for Indy Car, Craftsman Truck & Nationwide series races - there are many tracks that don't sell out for Sprint Cup races. I challenge anyone to name another track which always sells out for all 3 of those races.

Auto racing is HUGE in the Cincinnati/ Dayton & Louisville markets, which combined are home to over 4.5 million people which are no more than 60 miles from the track

Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 PM

Bruton Smith would not be buying a track that wouldn't be getting a Cup race.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:31 PM

7 posts, read 29,787 times
NASCAR is hurting. Several of the existing races recently have not sold out because people are not taking the time or expense of driving to the races with the high cost of gasoline. I also think the popularity of the racing is starting to wane as well. The rules people are nickle and diming the sport to death and this Car of Tomorrow is a terrible idea. It use to pit car maker against car maker and owner against owner and you could recognize all the names and be able to pronounce them. Its almost gotten to the point that NASCAR has lost its "American" feel and becoming more like Formula One racing. I am not sure I would support a NASCAR event in Kentucky. They have gotten too big for their own "breeches". They are killing the fun of the racing.

Things like the "lucky dog" or having races won by just a few drivers. I loved it when the racing was wide open and anyone could win. Owensboro cranked out some great drivers in Darrell and Michael Waltrip, Jeremy Mayfield, the Green Brothers and the like. Too many of the drivers now associate themselves with where their operations are instead of their hometowns.

Kentucky would probably support a race for several years - probably better and more competitive races than Pocono but the higher ups in NASCAR own many of the tracks and they will keep them there and not let some upstart track like Kentucky have a chance to show them what it can do. I know the drivers love the track.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 PM

I agree. I used to be one of the fans who had the scale model cars, the subscription to NASCAR Illustrated, etc. Not anymore. I refuse to spend the money they are asking for their scale model cars, hats, shirts, etc. They have raised the price of a Busch series (or whatever it's called now) ticket beyond belief. These things have killed NASCAR:

Brian France
Car of Tomorrow
Toyota
The week-by-week change of the rulebook
Cookie-cutter tracks

There is more, but the one single thing that killed NASCAR is when Winston left. That is the single event that set this downward spiral in motion. To me it will always be the Winston Cup. NASCAR hit is pinnacle in the late 90's to early 00's. It is now a generic shell of itself. Sad.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:53 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,496,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I agree. I used to be one of the fans who had the scale model cars, the subscription to NASCAR Illustrated, etc. Not anymore. I refuse to spend the money they are asking for their scale model cars, hats, shirts, etc. They have raised the price of a Busch series (or whatever it's called now) ticket beyond belief. These things have killed NASCAR:

Brian France
Car of Tomorrow
Toyota
The week-by-week change of the rulebook
Cookie-cutter tracks

There is more, but the one single thing that killed NASCAR is when Winston left. That is the single event that set this downward spiral in motion. To me it will always be the Winston Cup. NASCAR hit is pinnacle in the late 90's to early 00's. It is now a generic shell of itself. Sad.
Good post I agree, at one time I was a die hard NASCAR fan. I've not been to a cup race in three years and very seldom watch one on TV anymore. When I do watch one it's usually only the last 50 laps or so. They groomed the drivers like alter boys, if they say anything NASCAR don't like they get fined and put on probation.... it just sucks anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky