Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM

10 posts, read 37,149 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the area and a friend of mine that lived in Berea just told me that there is a big army depot there and they store nerve gas there. Is that a concern to anyone? Has there been any problems related to this? We are thinking of moving to Danville but would be traveling often to the Richmond area. But now the thought of being close to nerve gas scares me. Anyone with info???? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
That's troubling, isn't it? I hadn't thought of that in a while. When you live in Lexington, you usually don't think of it... then someone will mention it and you think about it a little while, and then it fades away again. Spooky...

I don't have any recent info about it. There was talk a few years ago about getting rid of it...

Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,749 times
There is a date set that all the nerve gas is suppose to be moved by. I can't remember when that is unfortunately. The problem is that to move it is so controversial. Everytime a plan is established, someone comes out against it. Of course, if you had an interstate or a traintrack that went by your house, you wouldn't want to see nerve gas going down the road either. It's a tough problem to address. I do know that they monitor it rigorously of course and I can remember one tiny scare a couple of years ago. I have several friends that live in Richmond and they seem perfectly calm about things. There is also a state university there and if there was any unsettling rumors about the gas, that could trim their numbers drastically I would think.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:44 PM

56 posts, read 161,395 times
I live in Irvine, the town right next to Richmond. We have a plan here incase something happens. However, since I can remember beside 9-11 scare there has been only 1 scene there. From what I remember there was a minor leak. Yes they do want to move it, but to do that they have to carry the "gas" on the interstate and that caused a big thing. Other then that no one I know even thinks about it as a problem.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,832 times
Personally I wouldn't want to live anywhere near it, between the chance of accidents and also the fact that it was once named one of several "possible targets" of a terrorist attack on US grounds. (In addition to the chemical weapons like nerve gas, evidently they are also a big storage area for standard military weapons).

At one point there was talk to building an incinerator onsite to burn up the nerve gas, but fortunately that was turned down after public outcry. Now, they are talking about moving the gas to an incinerator out of state but there have been all kinds of issues with that, and at last I heard they would probably not be able to move it before 2017.

There have been some recent leaks, but fortunately they have all been small and contained. Like I said, though, it is not a place that I would personally choose to live near.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:02 PM

22 posts, read 80,837 times
I have lived in Richmond for the past four years and I have not really thought about it much. The city does have a plan in place and a siren to let people know. I do not think that it is a big problem, but maybe I should.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
In 1973-74, the Army wanted to destroy all the weapons, but the public wouldn't allow them to build an incinerator. Mid-1980's the government wanted to transfer the gas canisters to another base for destruction. The public wouldn't let the army move the canisters through their towns.... Today, the containers are deteriorating and the gas is beginning to leak... mmmm....

Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
In 1973-74, the Army wanted to destroy all the weapons, but the public wouldn't allow them to build an incinerator. Mid-1980's the government wanted to transfer the gas canisters to another base for destruction. The public wouldn't let the army move the canisters through their towns.... Today, the containers are deteriorating and the gas is beginning to leak... mmmm....
Well that is pretty scary!!! The thing is, even if an alarm let everyone know it was leaking, well wouldn't the damage pretty much be done? It's not something you can just shower off and call it good I don't think......

Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 PM

Thank you all for the info, though I can't say I am less worried about it now...

Old 08-07-2008, 05:28 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycouple View Post
Thank you all for the info, though I can't say I am less worried about it now...
Heard on the radio this morning as I was going to work "second small leak in two weeks was found yesterday".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky