Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 AM

386 posts, read 987,077 times

Advertisements

I am interested in potentially moving to Kentucky in the future. I am 27, single, and interested in relocating to a suburb outside of an urban area in the state. I am originally from southside VA, but now living in the Tidewater area of Virginia, so I have lived in the country and the city. I am looking for a place that has the hospitality and laid back feel of the the country parts of VA, but some of the amenities of a larger area; I guess a middle ground. I have been researching the Lexington area primarily and outside of the Louisville area. How well are people in VA generally accepted in Kentucky? I have a slight southern accent, so wIll I stand out/be looked at funny in Kentucky? Also generally how are race relations in KY? Can anybody recommend me some areas of the state I should research more/look into. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 AM

200 posts, read 807,007 times
You will fit in just fine, Just as I have here in Virginia. The two states are more similar than different. Good luck on your move to Kentucky if you decide to!! I will be moving back next month myself.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM

386 posts, read 987,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
You will fit in just fine, Just as I have here in Virginia. The two states are more similar than different. Good luck on your move to Kentucky if you decide to!! I will be moving back next month myself.
Thanks for the information/gratitude. Does anybody else have any opinions/advice?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Having spent a lot of time in the tidewater area and having retired to Kentucky about 8 months ago, I will say that there are many similarities - it is just as beautiful here as VA and people are generally friendly and kind in both places. We love both states but are really happy we retired to KY just outside Louisville.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I am interested in potentially moving to Kentucky in the future. I am 27, single, and interested in relocating to a suburb outside of an urban area in the state. I am originally from southside VA, but now living in the Tidewater area of Virginia, so I have lived in the country and the city. I am looking for a place that has the hospitality and laid back feel of the the country parts of VA, but some of the amenities of a larger area; I guess a middle ground. I have been researching the Lexington area primarily and outside of the Louisville area. How well are people in VA generally accepted in Kentucky? I have a slight southern accent, so wIll I stand out/be looked at funny in Kentucky? Also generally how are race relations in KY? Can anybody recommend me some areas of the state I should research more/look into. Thank you.
I'm also moving to Kentucky in the not too distant future. I'm a 20 single male and i will likely move to Hardin County (outside Louisville) temporarily and Louisville long-term. I lived over 14 years in the Tidewater area (Norfolk, Hampton, York Co) and the last 4 in Alexandria. I think you will love what Kentucky has to offer. I went to Kentucky last Sept and loved what i saw. The people there were some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. I'm black and i felt no tension from the locals except from this one place. (DM me if you want more details)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky