Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:46 PM

98 posts, read 279,224 times

Advertisements

Info on Elizabethtown ive bee a few times seems nice,ive been in the Chicago land area my whole life.Than we moved south an hour to a small town of 3,800 everyone knows each other grew up toghter just dosen't work for me I hate it..Im wondering if someone could be the the info on E town and area around it im thinking of moving down I have 5 daughters and a son.There mother is mexican american we prefer american wondering if there racism,the homes are affordable??

Is it a town where everybody grew up wth each other or is it more like a small city any ideas would help so much??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 02:41 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Hmmmmm...Chicagoland's outskirts to Elizabethtown?

Just being realistic here; "E'town" as we call it will be considerably larger than your present community of 3,800. E'town has a population of 22,000 and is the county seat of Hardin, which has right at 100,000 people. There are about 200,000 people within a 25-mile radius of E'town, so the community serves as a regional center of sorts. There are the following: Walmart (with talks of a second Walmart in the works,) Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Barnes & Noble w/ Starbucks, Olive Garden, Cracker Barrel, Texas Roadhouse, Applebee's, Office Depot, a mall, a large cinema. So it's a decent-sized small city. While Kentucky public schools in general suck (I know, I'm an alumnus of an underachieving school system,) Elizabethtown and Hardin County public school systems are in the state's top 10% and I'd rather put my kids through those (if I had kids) than most of the small town po-dunk systems in the state.

BUT...it IS still Kentucky. It's 35 miles from Louisville, meaning that E'town draws much of its vitality from Louisville but is still rural-minded enough that you still have a lot of "rural" things. ...Including that small-town gossip and cliquishness. This is statewide and not exclusive to this part of KY. If you have more questions, just ask. You will like the small town security/small city feeling of Elizabethtown, I'm sure. But most of Kentucky will feel very small townish, I'm sure, and I don't want you to get down here and regret your move.

If you want small-town security, low crime and good schools, Kentucky has plenty of nice suburban areas that don't feel "citified, but are very close to the major cities and still feel rural in character. My recommendations for you are (a) Oldham County (just NE of Louisville,) (b) eastern Jefferson County (still "Louisville Metro" but in the districts with Eastern and Ballard HSs,) and (c) southern Boone County (Ryle and Boone County are good HSs very near to Cincinnati.)

Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM

63 posts, read 313,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw79 View Post
Info on Elizabethtown ive bee a few times seems nice,ive been in the Chicago land area my whole life.Than we moved south an hour to a small town of 3,800 everyone knows each other grew up toghter just dosen't work for me I hate it..Im wondering if someone could be the the info on E town and area around it im thinking of moving down I have 5 daughters and a son.There mother is mexican american we prefer american wondering if there racism,the homes are affordable??

Is it a town where everybody grew up wth each other or is it more like a small city any ideas would help so much??
Elizabethtown is a nice place. Although I've lived here most of my life, I did live in Chicago for three years once out of college. Returned home and never regretted it. Elizabethtown is an old town, one of the oldest in Kentucky. Due to the proximity of Ft. Knox, Elizabethtown, and indeed all of Hardin County, is very multicultural. You will not have any serious racism problems.

A quick story. One day at one of the local restaurants, we were talking to a new waitress. She advised she had left Chicago with her children heading south. Stopped in Elizabethtown for the night, and wound up staying here, she liked it so well. Two years later, she's still here, and loves it.

You won't find many nicer places to live in Kentucky than Elizabethtown.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:36 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxdreamer View Post
Elizabethtown is a nice place. Although I've lived here most of my life, I did live in Chicago for three years once out of college. Returned home and never regretted it. Elizabethtown is an old town, one of the oldest in Kentucky. Due to the proximity of Ft. Knox, Elizabethtown, and indeed all of Hardin County, is very multicultural. You will not have any serious racism problems.

A quick story. One day at one of the local restaurants, we were talking to a new waitress. She advised she had left Chicago with her children heading south. Stopped in Elizabethtown for the night, and wound up staying here, she liked it so well. Two years later, she's still here, and loves it.

You won't find many nicer places to live in Kentucky than Elizabethtown.
Not sure I'd sure Hardin Co. very multicultural, but if that's your perception than so be it.

You're right in saying that E'town is one of KY's nicest places. In terms of community festivals, amenities, school quality, and parks and recreation--all of which are what I look for in a "nice" small town--I would put Elizabethtown second in all of Kentucky (with first place being Owensboro.) (I did, however, recommend some suburbs to the OP b/c I really think they'll be a better fit for her.)

Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Ive been to e town twice I liked it seemed like at the sores I saw people of diffrent races..My main worry and what freaks me out what you said is people clique that is scary.Having lived in Chicago or by chicago my whole life than being in this smll 3,800 population its downright scary..I dont like how everybody grew up with each other out here,and know each other and if your not from here than you dont belong.

If its like that there than i would rather look somewhere else of course schools,shopping being close are key.If people all know each other and gossip on new people,and dont want to accept new pople like where I live now..I dont know where to look that isnt ghetto..I liked the feel when I was there but i just visting not living there.What seems nice can turn on you having gone through this makes me think where do i go??Thank you

Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Ive been to e town twice I liked it seemed like at the sores I saw people of diffrent races..My main worry and what freaks me out what you said is people clique that is scary.Having lived in Chicago or by chicago my whole life than being in this smll 3,800 population its downright scary..I dont like how everybody grew up with each other out here,and know each other and if your not from here than you dont belong.

If its like that there than i would rather look somewhere else of course schools,shopping being close are key.If people all know each other and gossip on new people,and dont want to accept new pople like where I live now..I dont know where to look that isnt ghetto..I liked the feel when I was there but i just visting not living there.What seems nice can turn on you having gone through this makes me think where do i go??Thank you
Elizabethtown is large enough that you don't feel that "small town atmosphere" you seem to be worried about. We have enough population turnover that newcomers are a constant, and easily accepted into the community. I do consider Hardin County (including Elizabethtown) to be multicultural in the sense that many different nationalities live here on a continuing basis. A few years ago, the Superintendent of the Hardin County Schools told me that the system had 26 different nationalities represented within the student population. That seems "multicultural" to me. Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable, but as I said before, Elizabethtown is a nice place, and I believe you will like it just fine.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 AM

Do you know how I could find a home rent to own my house is on the market and I was going to rent it out till it sold. I tryed lookin in the paper didnt see any online,how would I go about finding homes rent to own in E Town?? I prefer just to buy one out right with mine on the market im scared it will be next year,and than what were stuck here another school year.We would prefer to start a new school,and life there.

Not worried about race as much as the way everyone might know each other I moved to a small town here in Il 3800 or so its horrible,everyone grew up toghter.I cant blame them but they gossip,and are very mean to outsiders.Not racist one bit there everything here as far as race if you not from here they dont like you I cant deal with that.I keep to myself so does my family im nice,but not looking for friends just a nice spot to raise my kids,and maybe there raise there kids around me one day that my dream.

Any rent to own how I might get info on that than I can get moving? Ive been to etown and love just worried like I said if they judge outsiders from the north??While im waiting for my home to sell rent to own one there I like that idea??

Old 04-14-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Do you know how I could find a home rent to own my house is on the market and I was going to rent it out till it sold. I tryed lookin in the paper didnt see any online,how would I go about finding homes rent to own in E Town?? I prefer just to buy one out right with mine on the market im scared it will be next year,and than what were stuck here another school year.We would prefer to start a new school,and life there.

. . . . .

Any rent to own how I might get info on that than I can get moving? Ive been to etown and love just worried like I said if they judge outsiders from the north??While im waiting for my home to sell rent to own one there I like that idea??
I am assuming that by "rent to own" you might mean "lease with purchase option." Considering that the real estate market has slowed even here in Elizabethtown/Hardin County, I believe that you probably could find builders and/or current home owners that would be interested in such an arrangement. Best bet is to contact a local realtor and work with them.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 PM

Yeah hats what i meant thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,921 times
I was born and raised in Elizabethtown, I'm of African American Decent and I love my hometown. I have never had any problems with racism and we were a family of 14 children and the people of Elizabethtown helped us in every way. I love the warmth and friendliness of the town and it has and always will be my home no matter where I am. I live in Georgia now with hopes of one day coming back home to my beloved Elizabethtown Kentucky to stay. My father got out of the service and made this his home. We had help from one of my mother's employers during the 1950's in acquiring our land where we made our home. I thank God for the people of that time for who I am today. GOD BLESS ELIZABETHTOWN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky