Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:38 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,443 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm looking at where I want to move after college (I know I'm leaving the Northeast, I can't stand these Yankees!(I am not a Yankee myself, thank goodness!)), and gun rights are very important to me. So could anyone tell me what the average Kentuckian's attitude towards guns is.

In New York, when I tell someone I carry a pistol with me, it's like I told them that I've killed someone. Only 8% of people here even own any gun.

So what are the CCW laws like. Is open carry legal, is it accepted? Are there lots of people that go to the gun range for fun? Lots of NRA members? If I mentioned that I was going shooting would I hear, "Why would you ever want to do that, guns kill?"

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but would love to hear it from someone who has lived in your beautiful state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM

237 posts, read 848,918 times
Kentucky is an open carry state. It also issues CCW permits to residents that qualify, and has reciprocity with permits issued in most states. I have rarely seen a 'joe citizen' open carry in public and attribute that to general low crime and friendly residents. I am not currently a resident of Kentucky, but do own land there and visit often. I exercise my CC rights while there purely by habit because I live and work in a large city that has a fairly active scumbag populace.
I think your decision to move to Kentucky is a good one. It is a wonderful state and, personally, my favorite!

Digger~

Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM

53 posts, read 127,681 times
Kentucky is one of the most gun friendly states in the union. They get an "F" from the Brady Bunch I believe. It's very Class III friendly and home to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot (coming up in October). Gun trading at the numerous flea markets and gun shows is almost an art form practiced just about every weekend - one of the biggest is in Mt Sterling during "Court Days" (also in October). If you like guns you will be happy in Kentucky.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:44 PM

I saw that. They gave Kentucky a 2 out of 100 (tied for 48th "worst").

Let me just say, I'm sold. If I can find a job in a city over 40,000, that pays well (I am business major, with very good grades) I will hopefully be moving to your great state in 8 months!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 PM

53 posts, read 127,681 times
One thing remember though, a good paying job in KY may be a crap paying job in NY. I assume everything is cheaper in Kentucky compared to New York.

Good Luck

Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 PM

I actually live in Buffalo, the cost of living really isn't bad. I expect to make about $38,000 out of college here, but the economy is terrible. I assume that I could earn about $43,000 in KY, in a larger city like Lex, or L-Ville.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I assume that I could earn about $43,000 in KY, in a larger city like Lex, or L-Ville.
Depending on your degree, that could be an optimistic assumption at this point.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Depending on your degree, that could be an optimistic assumption at this point.
Is it really that bad? I am going to graduate C.um Laude with a major in International Business, and a minor in Urban and Regional analysis.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:34 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,108 times
Thanks to conservative Republicans this is still an American state. You have the basic freedoms established by our founding fathers. That could change very quickly over the next few years... we now have a douche-bag governor & Lexington voted for BO. But for now... we're still a free state

I love this aspect of living here. I can go out for a beer (can't smoke a cigar, though) & talk with my fellow men & women about guns. Kinda like the way men talk about classic cars or sports.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Good for Conservative Republicans! I saw that KY is about 35% GOP, and 62% Dems. Why? Is it a bunch of older Dixiecrats? One of the GOP's stronger states in 2004-08 was KY.

I hope it's an anomaly... I went Clarkesville not long ago, and people were openly criticizing Obama, around here, if you dare criticize the Messiah, you'd better be ready for an argument at the very least. I hope I can exercise my right to wear my "Draft Huckabee 2012" shirt in Kentucky (or my NRA hat)

Quote:
we now have a douche-bag governor & Lexington voted for BO.
Ugh I know. Hopefully you'll have a new governor come 2011 (maybe I'll be able to help retire Beshear if I get my way and move to KY).

I have heard Lexington has gay pride parades too, I have seen far too many of those in New York to want to see anymore. At least there are some VERY CONSERVATIVE areas around the city. Around Buffalo, even the suburbs are super Liberal, right through the rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky