Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 PM

88 posts, read 383,455 times

Advertisements

Say, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, etc.

I've seen several posters ask questions about why is Kentucky seemingly overlooked, or why is Louisville seemingly overlooked.

Would you rather see Kentucky as it is--growing slowly but not straining its infrastructure--or busting out the seams with newcomers (and trying to keep up with newly needed infrastructure)?

In other words, would you like to see a metropolis of Louisville-Lexington with 5 million+ people, kind of like Atlanta-Athens in Georgia? Let's say Louisville is the main component of this sprawl, with a much larger airport than it currently has, and twice as many people living inside the Gene Snyder as currently do. Housing prices become double of what they are now, like in metro Atlanta. Shelbyville becomes Conyers; La Grange becomes Marietta; all the way out in Lawrenceburg, it becomes like Gainesville. (Obviously, these are simulated comparisons.) Lexington becomes a liberal city and a much larger version of Athens. 14-18 lane freeways (and congestion,) huge malls, huge box stores, convention centers abound.

I know this is kind of a weird question. I'm neither a proponent nor opponent of Kentucky going this route. Kentucky is its own state, and we as Kentuckians should guide the course of our future.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to some interesting, thoughtful answers!

Last edited by lovintexas; 06-01-2007 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 01:08 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,905 times
I don't know ,what Iv'e heard being from Texas is that the Dallas Ft. worth metroplex is growing well take Frisco I was their last yr. all I saw was const.const.const. and their subdivisons growing fast.I have family their and know by them that when they first moved their.their's was the only house in that part of Frisco.then its like watch out!it just keeps growing!!if Louisville goes the route of Dallas Ft. worth it means more jobs,stores ,maybe a major sports team??is that good ?it depends does KY need that?how about those of us that wanted to get away from that I guess I'll be moving .

Old 06-01-2007, 01:22 PM

88 posts, read 383,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dee View Post
I don't know ,what Iv'e heard being from Texas is that the Dallas Ft. worth metroplex is growing well take Frisco I was their last yr. all I saw was const.const.const. and their subdivisons growing fast.I have family their and know by them that when they first moved their.their's was the only house in that part of Frisco.then its like watch out!it just keeps growing!!if Louisville goes the route of Dallas Ft. worth it means more jobs,stores ,maybe a major sports team??is that good ?it depends does KY need that?how about those of us that wanted to get away from that I guess I'll be moving .
It's good only if the people of Kentucky say it's good. If people are seeking to move to a metropolis type environment, then that's just what they're going to to. If Kentucky wants to encourage big businesses to set up big operations here with big tax incentives, then big swarms of people will follow. Louisville has as much potential as anywhere in the state--in fact, if not for Louisville, then Kentucky would really be nothing.

Or, if Kentucky wants to stay mostly rural but with easy access to big city amenities, that will be our choice, too. I guess if we become too big for your liking, Diamond Dee, there's always Oklahoma or West Virginia. I don't see those states exploding anytime soon.

By the way, you asked me in another forum where I live. I'm in Lawrenceburg. Where are you?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
I think steady growth is good but a "boom" is bad because with every "boom" there is a collapse, a bust then it sends the economy into a tail spin. Whereas the old saying goes, slow and steady wins the race. How many stores do you need to shop at? A competing market is good, but when is enough, enough? How many fast food chains does one town need? When is there enough big box stores that all look a like and provide poor service?
Which do you really want? Urban sprawl or roll pastures and forest? Would you rather see fields of asphalt or fields of green? Some people like urban living and would freak out if they were placed in the country, good for them they can have it. There is nothing wrong with a little growth, but too much too fast leads to problems with poor city planning, bad roads, congestion, failing inferstructure, higher crime, more taxes, loss of a sense of community and a wider economic divide. With no growth your community will dry up and blow away, so as I said growth is good in moderation. But a if "boom" is what you want, by all means have it, just keep it away from me.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:25 PM

92 posts, read 500,098 times
God, I hope Louisville never "booms". If someone wants that, then they can move to Nashville or Indianapolis or Raleigh. Keep it there; I would rather Louisville grow slowly, keeping it's good quality of life.

Louisvillians really do not know how good they have it. I read Louisvillains complain about taxes and crime and I just laugh.

I cannot wait to move back. Someday.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:16 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,905 times
lovintexas I live in Danville oldest settlement in KY o so Ive heard,been thru your neck of the woods when we traveled to shelbyville.We stopped in your town to eat ice cream at the DQ.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:52 AM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times
A boom? No, no, no, please! Moderate, well-planned growth? Yes, driven by a diverse work force (not all IT, not all banking, not all manufacturing, not all baby boomer retirees, etc.).

Old 06-06-2007, 01:27 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,796,609 times
Enough growth to provide both good jobs for your children and a lifestyle that will make them want to stay, but not an iota more. Where I live now was a town of 16,000 in 1950, then 50,000 in 1960 (when we moved here from Waco), then 140,000 in 1970, and may well be over 200,000 in 2010. With each passing day and another "150 New Jobs For Huntsville" headline in the local paper, I better understand why the natives of this progressive and diverse city didn't greet us with open arms when we came rolling in. Urban sprawl and strip malls stand in the fields which used to lead the state in agricultural production, and the hills bounding us on the east are increasingly dotted with McMansions. Farmland in the surrounding counties now changes hands at developers' prices, and traffic grows apace. Not what I had in mind for my old age at all. I'd hate to see it happen in Kentucky as well.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 PM

70 posts, read 206,411 times
There was a story on the local news on Monday talking about the governor being on a trip overseas to visit Japan and China. Since the day when Martha Layne Collins encouraged the Japanese to build a Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY there have been 150 facilities in KY that counts for more than 38,000 jobs. All these satellite companies which supply the Toyota plant have been good for Central Kentucky (although the 150 facilities are not just for Toyota) .

However, there have been other factories closing down in this area in recent months. There are two factories in Frankfort which have been or are in the process of putting over 1,200 people out of work. It's good to see new businesses move into the state but it doesn't need to be done in a haphazard manner because there will be a collapse which will affect many families.

New jobs are good as long as it's at a general pace. I really don't see this area being overdeveloped for a couple of reasons.
1) Most local governments are very cautious as to the new developments which are allowed in the area.
2) My guess would be the overall consensus of the people living in the more rural areas will fight tooth and nail to prevent all the farmland being used by over development.

Most people I know who live in the areas outside the smaller towns love still having a choice to either live in town or buy a home in the country. It's very nice to be able to own a nice piece of property and not have to worry about having a person live so close you can lean out your window and touch their house, lol It may seem like an old-fashioned idea but the people here cherish that option. Believe me, I've been to enough local government meetings to know what I'm talking about.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,488 times
Smile Would you like to see Kentucky experience an economic boom to the likes of much larger areas (Lexington: 2010)

I dream of Kentucky growing by becoming a food, wine, eco-adventure place with some green industry thrown in. I would like to see in Southeastern Kentucky organic production of specialty crops, honey, old strip mined places planted with grapes to fuel a wine industry that fuels a food industry that fuels a tourist industry. I would like to see some charming design of small lodges for tourists, and see the small towns get rid of the fast food industry. I dream of a time when Big Coal loses its power to dominate. It certainly has not brought prosperity to the area so it is time to change. I would like for the people in the area to learn their history and why they talk like they do. It comes from Middle English... many of the words do. Instead of people making fun, they should learn the history... instead of people feeling defensive or bad about themselves, they need to learn their history. The schools have not done a good job. I had to go to college and end up in a Shakespeare course taught by a Professor from England to learn that the way my father spoke was descended directly from Middle English (Shakespearean English). It is a distinct dialect. We should be taught the history so we and others can understand and respect the unique way we speak. I dream of so much for Southeastern Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky