Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:10 AM

51 posts, read 110,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
No, they have American Eagle to O'Hare and Dallas. Also Bloomington IL, 45 min away, has AirTran to Atlanta and Florida.
Oh i can see why they did it now. The city has great interstate access, is about 2 hours to Chicago and has 8 rounds trips to O'Hare and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin8868 View Post
Oh i can see why they did it now. The city has great interstate access, is about 2 hours to Chicago and has 8 rounds trips to O'Hare and Dallas.
That area is pretty competitive. Bloomington and Peoria are an hour or less, and Indianapolis (decent Southwest presence) is less than 2.

Driving to O'Hare from Champaign is an adventure. 2 hours is very optimistic.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM

51 posts, read 110,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
That area is pretty competitive. Bloomington and Peoria are an hour or less, and Indianapolis (decent Southwest presence) is less than 2.

Driving to O'Hare from Champaign is an adventure. 2 hours is very optimistic.
Well about 2 hours to the Chicago area. It is probably about a little under 3 hours from Champaign to O'Hare. It sure would be a short flight to O'Hare though.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 AM

Part of the Republican's budget chopping plan includes abolishing the EAS subsidies. If this goes through, it could mean the end of airline service at Paducah. Doubt if Skywest would retain service without the subsidy. Fuel is going up, and the 50 seat jets are terribly inefficient. They'd have too have near 80% passenger loads to make it work. So far, they've been averaging 60%.

Rural-Flight Payments May End Under Republican Plan - Bloomberg

Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
There's going to be A LOT cut out of the budget. As big of an airline fan as I am, I would have to say that the EAS is one of those "extra" programs that isn't necessary. Right now the proposed budget has a $1.65 trillion deficit, or 10% of our total GDP. Something's gotta give, and it may just be twice a day air service from Paducah to Chicago.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 AM

Update: The KentuckySkies operation out of Owensboro, discussed previously in this thread, has cease operations. The great hub of Nashville apparently didn't generate sufficient passenger volume.

Pending DOT approval, the new airline will be Cape Air with service to St. Louis.

AP Story:
Mobile - Owensboro airport board selects Mass. carrier :: The Republic (http://www.therepublic.com/mobile/view/story/d897999b824a413aa34fe2c69608aeea/ - broken link)

Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
Who is making the decisions on where to fly? Why anyone would choose to fly to Nashville is beyond me. It's not a hub. And now they're going to do it again with flights to St Louis. That would have been a good plan in 1999, but not today. Why don't they choose a real hub? Fly to Detroit, Memphis, Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta, or Dallas? I'm sure we'll be reading about this failing in a year or so.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
Who is making the decisions on where to fly? Why anyone would choose to fly to Nashville is beyond me. It's not a hub. And now they're going to do it again with flights to St Louis. That would have been a good plan in 1999, but not today. Why don't they choose a real hub? Fly to Detroit, Memphis, Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta, or Dallas? I'm sure we'll be reading about this failing in a year or so.
I don't think they have a choice to fly to a major hub. Owensboro has been stuck with 19 or less seat planes, since deregulation. There's a few exceptions in DEN and SLC, but generally no network feeder is flying planes that small into major hubs anymore. And I doubt they're going to bring some out of mothballs to serve a place like OWB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky