Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 10,807 times

Advertisements

Hi...

I am currently a 30 year old female, from Philadelphia, PA. I am employed a Child Advocate Social Worker, and am currently in graduate school, working toward a MA in Forensic Psychology. I would love to remain in the field of Child Advocacy, as well as the Juvenile Court System.

I am seriously considering relocating to another state; Kentucky is one of my considerations.

I am looking to remain in a city-like environment, with the following:
-- accessibily to public transportation (bus, train, trolley, etc.), as I do not have car
-- close proximity (possible walkability) to neighborhood grocery stores, shops, movies, restaurants, etc.
-- reasonable cost of living (looking for a 1-2 bedroom apt. around $700/month)
-- good job market
-- friendly, culturally rich, artsy neighborhoods

I am aware that both Lexington and Louisville are Kentucky's major cities. Are there others? What neighborhoods in Lexington, Louisville, etc. would be good considerations?

Thanks,

Toni.

PS: I am looking to relocate no late than 12-2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiBlu View Post
Hi...

I am currently a 30 year old female, from Philadelphia, PA. I am employed a Child Advocate Social Worker, and am currently in graduate school, working toward a MA in Forensic Psychology. I would love to remain in the field of Child Advocacy, as well as the Juvenile Court System.

I am seriously considering relocating to another state; Kentucky is one of my considerations.

I am looking to remain in a city-like environment, with the following:
-- accessibily to public transportation (bus, train, trolley, etc.), as I do not have car
-- close proximity (possible walkability) to neighborhood grocery stores, shops, movies, restaurants, etc.
-- reasonable cost of living (looking for a 1-2 bedroom apt. around $700/month)
-- good job market
-- friendly, culturally rich, artsy neighborhoods

I am aware that both Lexington and Louisville are Kentucky's major cities. Are there others? What neighborhoods in Lexington, Louisville, etc. would be good considerations?

Thanks,

Toni.

PS: I am looking to relocate no late than 12-2010.
First of all, accept that Kentucky is an automobile based society; therefore, your options will be limited. That being said, you might find happiness in three Louisville neighborhoods. Depending upon housing availability, I would consider Highlands, St. Matthews, & parts of Crescent Hill.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 AM

666 posts, read 2,537,926 times
Downtown around UK's campus and Chevy Chase would be the only two places I would recommend in Lexington for being able to walk to restaurants, gyms, grocery stores, etc.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:45 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,994 times
IndiBlu, sure you're not a Cat fan or forgetful of what state you're moving from?

I'm afraid that if you're looking for a 'walkable' city, you're not going to find it in any cities in Kentucky besides Lexington and Louisville (much more so than Lexington). Being a Cat fan I just can't send you to that "other city".

Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Colors, I laughed!

I prefer Lexington to Louisville simply for some of our local restaurants and our campus.

While neither are very walkable, Covington is an honorable mention, basically Cincinnati's Kentucky quarter. You can drive into Cinci and walk around their downtown which is VERY accessible and close to Covington.

Lexington's job market is hanging in there pretty well, but ANYWHERE in KY you will NEED a CAR.

Chances of you finding a job you can walk to are slim to none. Even if it is close to your home, many times you'd be crossing 8-10 lane highways to get there (I've only dared jaywalk Nicholasville Road once... STUPID STUPID kid, I was). Walking around campus it's not uncommon for cars to run red lights and hit pedestrians and it's in no way bikeable, as with our lack of sidewalks, we lack even more often bike paths. You'll be able to get a 1-2br for less than 700 easy. There are plenty of nice ones all over but you WILL NEED a car.

As for artsy neighborhoods, culturally rich, etc., Lexington is predominantly white, middle class, Christian. The only thing CLOSE to culturally rich is the campus area but mainly just because UK has a lot of Asian students. Louisville isn't that different when it comes down to it all.

Covington/Cinci skyline

Louisville skyline

Lexington skyline

All 3 were taken with my camera phone but show off the beauty of the skylines, for sure! All 3 are pretty, clean cities.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,994 times
I've been itching to show off the pics I took with my phone, but they are not of Kentucky and I'm sure here would think "that guy is completely nuts for doing that". (hint: highways and semi-trucks)

Old 05-15-2010, 08:17 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Road head on truckers?! YUCK!

JK, but I'm sure they would be interesting.

Either way, KY is a different lifestyle than PA, but not an inferior one, by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky