Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 PM

185 posts, read 289,333 times

Advertisements

Oh and we can throw in great local eateries too.

With all the negativity that seems to be thrown around here about the local economy, I thought we could share some things people from all walks of life might be interested in seeing and doing here in the Tri-Cities. Please post your favorites, a short review and an indication of the cost associated. Please include things that families may enjoy, but also singles, college students, retirees, young professionals, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Because it is one of my favorite things to do in the summer, as well as a pretty long standing tradition apparently, I'll toss out the Friday night cruise-ins in Elizabethton. It happens every Saturday (except really bad weather days) night between April and October, 5-9pm. They shut down part of downtown Elizabethton and people bring in their cars for a good old fashioned criuse-in. They park along the street and show off their rides. You don't have to have a car to participate, just come and look. Lots of people bring their chairs and sit and chit-chat. Usually there is a vendor or two selling food, plus a couple of the restaurants are open. The event is free for everyone.

It's good, clean, old-fashioned fun for all ages and best of all....FREE!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:07 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
Oh and we can throw in great local eateries too.
Let's not get crazy now....."great" local eateries?......maybe no. I can think of a handful where it is 'okay', and two that I would describes a being 'good'.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Let's not get crazy now....."great" local eateries?......maybe no. I can think of a handful where it is 'okay', and two that I would describes a being 'good'.
To be fair, I think Johnson City and even Bristol have a better restaurant scene than given credit for. Not "foodie," but more than the chain restaurants that are so visible.

Some of my favorites:

1) Canteen - this is a little sandwich shop run behind the Johnson City mall. If you aren't on Urbanspoon, you'd probably never know it was there, as I don't think there is any signage from the street.

2) Sahib - this is an Indian restaurant run in an off building next to what used to be Days Inn off the I-26 N Roan St exit. The outside looks crappy, but this inside has been recently revamped and the menu expanded at a lower price.

3) Babylon - an Iraqi family runs this near the Target off N Roan St.

4) Mid City Grill - never been, but a lot of people I know like it.

JC also has some chains the rest of the area doesn't have like Bonefish Grill and a Jason's Deli.

We have good barbeque in the area. Ridgewood is the main draw, but Phil's Dream Pit is also very good. Firehouse BBQ near ETSU is good but a step back. Pratt's in Kingsport has far better brisket than anyone else in the area. There are some "also rans" (Braeden's in Kingsport/Dixie in JC) that are decent enough for a quick lunch. I've eaten at some of the big boys BBQ in KC (Oklahoma Joe's, Arthur Bryant) and I still prefer the BBQ in our area to that.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Taste Budz has great soul food. Freiberg's is really solid German. Bodega 105 is solid Cuban. Cafe Lola is a good bistro.

Jack's City Grill and Cootie Brown's aren't stand outs in their field of fast casual, but for the local flair, they're good.

Also - Red Chili in Elizabethton is hands down the best Korean I've ever eaten (never been to Korea, so I'm sure it's good there too).

Old 03-12-2014, 05:40 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
From an earlier thread> http://www.city-data.com/forum/kings...-day-trip.html

Old 03-12-2014, 06:44 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,545 times
I personally look forward to the Blue Plum Festival. Even the Umoja Festival and the Curry Goat...yummy.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
The Carter Family Fold up in Virginia is a great way to get some authentic exposure to area music and learn a lot about the history of country music.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 AM

We had a lot of fun taking different family members out to Jonesborough to explore downtown. My mother-in-law had a lot of fun in the antique stores and everyone loved the General Store for ice cream. Took a while to drag the kids out of the candy store, but made it out without too much issue.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM

125 posts, read 166,577 times
I would also love to know of any particular websites or publications that are useful to find out about local happenings. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol