Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:57 AM

141 posts, read 297,630 times

Advertisements

This is quite relative, excerpt from an article today on Marketwatch:

Because so many homeowners are still “underwater,” a popular alternative is to rent out their home instead of selling it at a loss. Then they buy a second property, hoping their first house gets back to even so they can sell.

“The decision by underwater homeowners to rent out their house instead of selling it is an act of desperation,” Jurow says. “It leaves them with two mortgages. They would not have done this if they had the equity to sell their home and trade up to another.”

According to Jurow, this is creating a perfect storm. “The housing boom allowed people to sell and trade up to another house. Now that the trade-up market has essentially disappeared, investment firms who were swept up with the buy-to-rent craze are competing with the millions of underwater homeowners who decided to rent out their property.” These properties will eventually hit the market and affect housing prices, he says.

This house market is falling apart - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 04:13 PM

116 posts, read 160,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
This is quite relative, excerpt from an article today on Marketwatch:

Because so many homeowners are still “underwater,” a popular alternative is to rent out their home instead of selling it at a loss. Then they buy a second property, hoping their first house gets back to even so they can sell.

“The decision by underwater homeowners to rent out their house instead of selling it is an act of desperation,” Jurow says. “It leaves them with two mortgages. They would not have done this if they had the equity to sell their home and trade up to another.”

According to Jurow, this is creating a perfect storm. “The housing boom allowed people to sell and trade up to another house. Now that the trade-up market has essentially disappeared, investment firms who were swept up with the buy-to-rent craze are competing with the millions of underwater homeowners who decided to rent out their property.” These properties will eventually hit the market and affect housing prices, he says.

This house market is falling apart - MarketWatch

There are a ton of foreclosures in the areas I'm looking JB, Erwin has a couple, JC and then theres this site called "Tenn4closures" or soemthing - all mobiles, priced at around 40-100K, some on large lots at that price - its soooo sad

Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poety View Post

There are a ton of foreclosures in the areas I'm looking JB, Erwin has a couple, JC and then theres this site called "Tenn4closures" or soemthing - all mobiles, priced at around 40-100K, some on large lots at that price - its soooo sad
No property sells for more than what it's worth. I think a lot of property around here will actually decline in price as there are no jobs and the only people moving are mostly wealthy, outside the area cash buyers.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
No property sells for more than what it's worth. I think a lot of property around here will actually decline in price as there are no jobs and the only people moving are mostly wealthy, outside the area cash buyers.
Not true. While supply and demand does generally rule, real value is perceived. If someone from out of state "sees" a parcel of land for sale and is enamored with it, they may just pay that $28,000 an acre. Whereas locals would never pony up that kind of money for it, and actually think folks crazy to do so.

But to one with perhaps deeper pockets or coming from say NY, CA, or NJ, it appears inexpensive and well worth it.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:53 AM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
Not true. While supply and demand does generally rule, real value is perceived. If someone from out of state "sees" a parcel of land for sale and is enamored with it, they may just pay that $28,000 an acre. Whereas locals would never pony up that kind of money for it, and actually think folks crazy to do so.

But to one with perhaps deeper pockets or coming from say NY, CA, or NJ, it appears inexpensive and well worth it.
So true. As someone who lives on the West Coast I understand both sides.

My family has several properties here that were purchased in the 70's all around 30k or lower. They would all sell now with no problem even in a down market for around 4.5m on the low end. The average price of homes here is astronomical to the average wage and yet homes here in my coastal area never fluctuated much lower in the down markets over the decades or the last bust.
We're pretty lucky that they we were all paid off in the 70's.

The area is very desirable with people coming here with the funds to purchase at those prices. But, most young adults and those older working (not retired) can't find homes they can afford so they move out to surrounding areas and further away. They are priced out of the market.

While I'm pretty lucky to have a place to hang my hat and not worry about paying the bank each month, cost of living, taxes, upkeep is all high. I refer to myself as property rich and investment rich but cash poor. If I had to buy a new house in this area today, I would be severely in debt. Struggling like many I know. I never want to send money each month to a bank again.

Most here are at 50-75k a year and a hole in the wall to call home is 800k and up. A lot more for what would be considered a nice home here. In a few years I will have some choices to make with another family member. Stay or not.

I could sell out and have enough cash to buy a nice property in another area. Pay off all debt and not worry so much about supporting myself and family until I'm dead.

I have spent a lot of time looking at Tennessee and other states. I understand how locals feel about being priced out but if you had the same opportunity, I think many would take it.

Property with so much more real value to me (more land, square footage, etc., etc..) seems extremely cheap from my point of view. However, I understand that it isn't to those that have to make a wage in a area where property value rises and wages don't match it. I also wouldn't want to drive up the prices by paying more than what the local market would support for most in the area.

With all that being said, I could have opened a thread just like the OP in a few years. Yes, I have horses, dogs, chickens and would also be looking for a mini farm at a great price.

My current area used to be agricultural but it has grown up around me. My children are some of the last to know that a egg isn't made in the grocery store here. I'm not joking....

Last edited by Dhult; 08-28-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM

Great write up Dhult. And yard eggs are SO much better than commercially produced/store bought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol