Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 11:45 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

We just had a new system put in - and our water bill is now 300.00- we replaced the pipe w/copper- and it is wider than what the builders used- how can we be getting a bill this high?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
We just had a new system put in - and our water bill is now 300.00- we replaced the pipe w/copper- and it is wider than what the builders used- how can we be getting a bill this high?????
do you have a leak? why don't you call the water company, and ask them what it should be, or ask your neighbor what theirs run.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:04 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
There must be a leak somewhere. That's is a terrible water bill. I'd call whoever put the new plumbing in and ask them to double-check the installation. Also, depending on where that pipe is located, I'd be really curious to take a look at that area if it goes above ground, like under the house, to see if you have any wet areas.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
It goes right to the meter- our bill was 30.00 every month for a year- then some pipe broke and they replaced it- the water co said they would pro-rate it but have not----this is a nightmare!

Old 12-01-2006, 05:57 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
check your meter and watch to see if the little dial is moving,if it's moving with all faucets in the house off... you have a leak in the line somewhere.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:08 PM

94 posts, read 387,627 times
Default Help with that water bill

sunnyhelena, Are you getting numerous bills for 300+ or just one bill? If you just got one then most likely the water that leaked from the initial pipe breaking is just now showing up on the meter reading.

I used to be a water treatment operator--Ask the city if they can check your meter to see if you still have a leak.

Then ask them how your bill is calculated...there is a good chance that you are being billed sewer rates for the water that leaked. Since this didn't enter your sewer system they should take that off your bill.

If they take off the sewer charges that could half the bill...(depending on the rate structure)

I know our town would help people with leaks...hopefully your town will too.

Here's something to remind them of. I used to read meters. I would write the figures down in a book and then calculate the usage while I was standing by the meter. If I every saw anything outside their normal usage range I wouldn't leave without letting them know.

If you are getting several bills in the high range then someone is walking off knowing you have a leak...I always felt we were obligated to notify people and not just leave with the meter spinning away. If that is happening then they should adjust the bill and hire a new meter reader!

Kerry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol