Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:31 PM

69 posts, read 254,055 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing that the soil in this area tends to be clay, oh yuch! I dealt with that in NJ & it was so hard to grow anything. Is it all over the Tri-cities or is it worse in some areas & less in others? I love gardening, so soil condition is very important - another thing I should have checked into before moving here. Hopefully, there will be pockets of good soil versus clay. Any advise is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I have found that it varies from block to block! I live in a development in Gray where it is solid clay on the left 3/4 of my yard, front and back, but the right last 1/4 is more top soil than clay. Go figure! Of course everywhere that I want to actually plant is solid clay. But between hubby, son and them wielding the pick ax, we get it up and churned up. Trying to get composted added in this year which should make it better.....I hope!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 PM

423 posts, read 1,404,482 times
If anyone wants horse manure...DM me. Good stuff

Old 03-03-2008, 05:30 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,189 times
From what I understand, much of Jonesborough is clay.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
I've been hearing that the soil in this area tends to be clay, oh yuch! I dealt with that in NJ & it was so hard to grow anything. Is it all over the Tri-cities or is it worse in some areas & less in others? I love gardening, so soil condition is very important - another thing I should have checked into before moving here. Hopefully, there will be pockets of good soil versus clay. Any advise is appreciated.
I highly recommend using a remarkable tool developed w/ your tax dollars, the Web Soil Survey.

It shows so much detail that it can be a bit overwhelming at first, but the basic steps are as follows:
1. Plug in your address and click on "View";
2. On the interactive map, click on either of the "AOI" buttons and then place your cursor at one corner of your property; click and drag to demarcate your property;
3. After the program is finished processing, hit the "Soil Map" tab;
4. Your property's soil types will be marked on the new map and also shown in percentages on the left, with detailed descriptions of each soil type available by clicking their links;
5. To dig even deeper into the analysis, select the "Soil Explorer" tab and see what other goodies you can find there.

FWIW, I just ran quick analyses on two large, random chunks of land in Washington County. On a 6,000-acre piece between JC & Jonesborough, silty clay loam (i.e., clay) made up 67% of the soil. On a 7,600-acre tract between JC & Gray, only 50% was silty clay loam.

Also FWIW, there's certainly no shortage of gardeners in this area.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,538 times
Some areas have that red clay - very obvious - but some areas have excellent brown or black loamy kind of soil.

As you look at properties, you should be able to check out the soil.

My property has both. The garden area and lawn area are rich. In the woods, the clay is bright red with red rocks even!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I've found much the same; pockets of great black soil mixed with some of the most stubborn red clay imaginable. And the occasional slate!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:45 PM

77 posts, read 246,221 times
Default talk about exercise digging to plant...

Yes, there's quite a bit of clay in some areas. I'm used to sandy soil (FL, TX); boy, was I amazed at the effort it took just to dig one hole for a plant... When I moved here and finally had a home with a yard, I got excited about planting and bought many plants. It took so much longer to do - but I appreciate it all when I see them grow. As long as you make reasonable plant choices (based on growing conditions, soil, etc) and amend the soil well when planting, you can do very well with clay. Many local nurseries can help you out; some even offer free classes in the spring/summer planting season.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:19 PM

69 posts, read 254,055 times
Default Solutions to Clay Soil

Thanks so much for all your input. I especially like the website to check the soil. Great!

I do know that clay soil is generally more acidic & will change the colors of flowers, such as Hydrangeas. My beautiful blue hydrangeas (when planted) turned light pink in one season in the clay soil in NJ. Even though I amended the soil with lime, it didn't help much.

But, South Jersey is the reason that NJ is called the Garden State. Ever seen that on their license plates? The Jersey tomatoes are known far & wide as the best. They ARE delicious! So I guess clay is good for some things.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I do have to say that even though most of my yard is mostly very thick clay, the PH level is dead on at 7 so I have not had to add any lime for my plants. However the Hydrangeas and Azaleas ( I think?) like it at least 8 so it really depends on what you are planting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol