Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 07:16 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,627,534 times

Advertisements

The 8 Northeast Tennessee counties are the only counties in TN that will have multiple Obamacare coverage options in 2018. (Cigna and Blue Cross)

16 neighboring East TN counties will not have any Obamacare options. This includes Knoxville.

The rest will have only one option. No competition.

Does anyone know why our area is in a better position than the rest of TN?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-zero-insurers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
No idea. I can't imagine local demographics being significantly more favorable than the other counties that are either losing the one provider or being downshifted to one. CNN did an article on (I think) Blount County not long ago. The only thing that readily comes to mind is that perhaps were more saturated in health care than the rural counties, so more people going to the doctor/etc. instead of ER, but it doesn't explain core Knoxville.

I was on an Obamacare Silver plan through BC/BS when I moved back here in 2013. I was working a W-2, no benefit, contract job then, and it was a little over $100/month. Coverage was fair, considering the price. It was a good option to have, but I'd consider it barely more than catastrophic coverage. My current employer provided coverage is better, and I bet the Obamacare plans have skyrocketed since then.

East TN has a lot of low end job that do not offer benefits. I was talking to a guy yesterday who worked for a medium sized business in Johnson City, more than 50 people so mandatory insurance requirement, and the owner would rather pay the penalty for not offering insurance than provide it to the employees. That's not even mentioning the oodles of small businesses with five or ten folks that don't offer coverage at all. IMO, this area has an especially acute need for these plans.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:16 PM

I was on a grandfathered plan until BCBS discontinued my plan two years ago. I was on the cheapest BCBS bronze plan for 1.5 years until the premium skyrocketed for 2017. It was going to be $1,100/mo for a family of four (still lowest cost bronze plan with a $7,000 deductible). Good thing two options were available because I switched to Cigna for 2017. If Cigna had not been available, I probably would have gone to one of the health sharing organizations.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:39 AM

239 posts, read 699,906 times
For two years both my husband and I were self employed and our coverage was about $700 / month and did not cover my arthritis (which is genetic.) This was before Obamacare. We went back on a company plan right when Obamacare kicked in but our premiums would have gone to over $1300 / month with a $12,000 deductible. Family of 4. It did cover the arthritis, but I only go to the doctor 4x per year for that and other than that, our family is generally healthy and only goes to the doctor a few times per year. Thankfully. $1300 / month????? That is absolutely insane.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:14 AM

216 posts, read 163,433 times
The companies pulled out of the counties with the largest subsidies were given. Many had zero premium and zero deductible, they way over used the system. They system is so broken as was predicted by the opponents of the bill.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:59 AM

I would figure that our counties would have among the highest subsidies in the state.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:00 AM

Update: BCBS will pick up the uncovered Knoxville counties in exchange for another huge premium increase.

Blue Cross Blue Shield saves Tennessee's Obamacare market.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:52 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Update: BCBS will pick up the uncovered Knoxville counties in exchange for another huge premium increase.

Blue Cross Blue Shield saves Tennessee's Obamacare market.
Interesting title the paper chose for the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol