Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 04:30 PM

199 posts, read 529,341 times

Advertisements

Town Center owners outline plans for mall

Published 03/22/2008 By Matthew Lane

KINGSPORT — Over the next three years, the new owners of the Fort Henry Mall — now known as the Kingsport Town Center — plan to invest about $45 million in renovating and expanding the facility.

Full story below:

Town Center owners outline plans for mall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 04:44 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Bad name change. The Fort Henry Mall is unique in general, and an identifier with the Kingsport area. I love the current layout of the Ft Henry Mall. I grew up going there and although it may have suffered in sales the past 4 or 5 years--and especially since the Target massive complex went in, it has potential and its own niche to fill.
The name is so generic--nothing original. The new owners should leave the name as-is.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:21 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,804,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The name is so generic--nothing original. The new owners should leave the name as-is.
I couldn't agree more. I hate to complain about some of the better things that are happening in my hometown, but it makes me cringe to hear some of the associated names:

Kingsport Town Center...yes, we already know it's in Kingsport so the name is redundant and meaningless; at the very least, why not Fort Henry Center or something similar?

Kingsport Pavilion...another bland & generic name; how about Preston Pavilion (as the shopping center is between Preston Forest and Preston Woods) or some other name associated w/ Kingsport historically?

Kingsport Riverwalk...bleck! It's in Kingsport, on the river & folks will be able to walk there, so let's slap 'em together and call it a name.

And yet our fair town's symphony orchestra has no identifier in its name (Symphony of the Mountains), which seems very odd as I've never heard of a symphony name not associated with its city.

These are minor quibbles, though, and I'm very glad to see this small city w/ so much potential finally waking up from its long slumber.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
I can't stand the name "Kingsport Town Center" either. Mainly because of the big effort to make downtown KPT the actual "town center", which it should be. Don't want to confuse the tourists

As for "Kingsport Pavilion"-- Doesn't bother me so much. Recently I was in Dothan, AL and saw that they have a "Dothan Pavilion" that looks exactly like the KPT Pavilion and has all the same stores. The developers just name all the similar developments after the city they're in.

Kingsport Riverwalk: To the point, explains what it is. Fine by me!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:20 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Kingsport Pavilion reminds me of the Indian Path Pavilion, or as it was called "The Pavilion"; which was known as a treatment center for mental illness back in the late 70's and 80's. As with anything, I am sure that the Kingsport Pavilion will be called the Pavilion in no time.

Kingsport Riverwalk will become The Riverwalk, which is fine. I am sure that no one on earth will confuse this Riverwalk with the infamous one in San Antonio.

I don't care what they want to name the Fort Henry Mall. It will remain the Fort Henry Mall until several generations pass.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:23 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,208 times
Whatever they want to call it is fine by me. It's a mall whatever they call it and should be avoided, if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol